First official PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds tournament coming to Gamescom
Watch 80 of the world's best PUBG players compete for the tastiest chicken dinner of them all.
If taking home a chicken dinner against strangers on the Internet isn't challenging enough for you, we've got good news. The massively-popular PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will be hosting its first official invitational tournament at Gamescom next month, with 80 of the best PUBG players from around the world converging on Cologne, Germany to duke it out for a piece of the US$350,000 tournament prize pool.
ESL, the world's largest e-sports organisation, will be running the event, with the whole thing live streamed on the official PUBG Twitch, YouTube and Mixer channels. Players will compete in Solo mode, Duo mode, Duo first-person-perspective mode and Squad mode.
Even those who don't attend can contribute to the tournament, with developer Bluehole Inc. adding new vanity items to the game on 3 August for regular players to purchase. All proceeds will go towards padding out the tournament's prize pool, as well as benefitting the charities of Bluehole's choice.
The first official PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds tournament will take place from 24-27 August, with each day's broadcast beginning bright and early at 12am AEST.
- 56 rising esports stars added to the roster for next week’s Gfinity Elite Series debut
- [UPDATE] Razer Blade 15 and Core X revealed: Australian pricing and release date
- Detroit: Become Human Review: No fate but what we manage to screw up in a QTE
- The PS5 will launch in 2020 hints Sony CEO John Kodera
- Perth will be the first to turn when the zombie apocalypse hits