9 buzzing places like Las Vegas
Sin City is not the only place to party, eat and gamble your night away.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Strip is a place of excess and luxury,proudly wearing the tagline, “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.” But there are many other destinations that offer unique gaming and entertainment getaways. Whether it’s letting your hair down on a man-made island in Dubai or taking in the beauty of Niagara Falls, here are nine alternatives to Vegas that cater to everyone from couples to families with children.
Image: Tourism Australia
1. Gold Coast
Australia’s Gold Coast is home to the world-renowned beaches that make up Surfers Paradise. It also features international theme parks, lush rainforests and award winning restaurants and bars.
- Top casino: Jupiters Hotel & Casino
- Must do and see: Theme parks, Surf, Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk, Nightlife
- Stay at: Q1 Resort and Spa. This luxury hotel is located inside Australia's tallest building and feature stellar views of the coastline, multiple restaurants, two pools and a full-service spa. Room prices start at $235.
2. Atlantic City
The seaside gaming and resort capital of America’s New Jersey coast, Atlantic City is also known as the “Las Vegas of the East”. The main boardwalk provides easy access to resorts, casinos, fine dining spots and shopping.
- Top casinos: Caesars, Golden Nugget, Bally’s, Borgata, Resorts Casino Hotel
- Must do and see: Lighthouse tours, amusement parks, dolphin watching, Atlantic City Boardwalk
- Stay at: Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa. This upscale casino resort overlooks the marina and features fine dining options and live shows. Rooms start at $599 per night.
Just a short ferry ride from Hong Kong, Macau is a paradox of old and new. On this small peninsula you will find giant casinos, extravagant malls and luxurious villas, as well as signs of its former Portuguese colonisation in the buildings and cuisine.
- Top casinos: Venetian, Grand Lisboa, Sands, MGM Grand, Babylon Casino
- Must do and see: See the House of Dancing Water show, eat Portuguese cuisine at one of the many restaurants and cafes, and explore the Ruins of St. Paul
- Stay at: Hard Rock Hotel Macau. Live like a rockstar in premium rooms furnished with contemporary decor and see the on-site House of Dancing Water show. Rooms start at $323.
Image: Niagara Falls Tourism
4. Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls is one of the world’s most photographed waterfalls. Get up close and personal with this magnificent natural landmark, sitting about 90 minutes from Toronto on the American and Canadian border. Then make the most of your vacation by visiting the surrounding attractions.
- Top casinos: Casino Niagara, Fallsview Casino Resort, Seneca Niagara
- Must do and see: Skylon Tower, Niagara Falls helicopter ride, Niagara Skywheel, Niagara-on-the-Lake wine region
- Stay at: Embassy Suites by Hilton. The closest hotel to Niagara Falls offers panoramic views of the Falls from each guest room. Rooms start at $350.
The second-smallest independent state in the world, Monaco is where the wealthy come to play. While some people choose to stay and play in the iconic Monte Carlo Casino, others flock to the Mediterranean city, which is an easy train ride from Nice, France, to see the Grand Prix raced on city streets.
- Top casinos: Casino de Monte-Carlo, Casino Cafe de Paris, Sun Casino, Monte-Carlo Bay Casino
- Must do and see: Monaco Grand Prix, Ballet and Theatre, Monaco-Ville, Oceanographic Museum and Aquarium
- Stay at: Hotel Hermitage Monte-Carlo. This luxury resort hotel in the heart of Monaco gives travellers a choice of city or courtyard views. Prices start at $1,005.
Dubai draws in tourists with its ultramodern architecture and happening nightlife. Here, you can stay on man made islands in the shape of palm trees or world maps and while gambling is illegal here, there’s enough to see and do that you’ll hardly miss it.
- Top 5 beaches: Jumeirah Beach, Kite Beach, JBR Beach, Sunset Beach, Al Mamzar Beach
- Must do and see: Burj Khalifa, Dubai Fountain, Palm Jumeirah, Dinner in the desert.
- Stay at: Jumeirah Beach Hotel. This 5-star luxury hotel is built in the unique shape of a wave and overlooks the Arabian Gulf. With more than 16 dining options to choose from, you will be spoilt for choice. Rooms start at $511.
The capital of Netherlands is a rich tapestry of culture, history, art and architecture. Experience the city as a local by bicycle, or catch a boat along their picturesque network of canals that have earned this city its nickname as the ‘Venice of the North’.
- Top casino: Holland Casino Amsterdam
- Must do and see: Museums, sculpture parks, Canal cruise, Eat raw herring, Tulip Museum
- Stay at: Amsterdam Marriott Hotel. This luxury hotel is set in the heart of the city, providing easy access to dining options and museums. Rooms start at $261.
Image: New Orleans Tourism
8. New Orleans
New Orleans is a melting pot of food, culture and music with French, African and American influences. Whether you are visiting for a taste of the Mardi Gras parade or exploring history in museums, there is something for everyone in this southern US city.
- Top 5 places: Harrah’s Casino, Treme, Jackson Square, Audubon Zoo, French Quarter
- Must do and see: Mardi Gras World, Nightlife, Museums and Cultural Arts, Nightlife
- Stay at: Loews New Orleans Hotel. Just across the street from Harrah’s Casino, this luxury hotel has picture windows and original local artwork in every room. Rooms start at $425.
Cruises offer a wide range of things to see and do, with pools, health clubs, bars, restaurants and entertainment shows. These floating resorts go all around the world and have something for everyone whether you are 3 or 93.
- Top 5 cruise lines: Carnival Cruise Line, P&O Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Princess Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International
- Must do and see: All-you-can-eat buffets, nightly entertainment, casinos, health club and spas, children-friendly programs
- We recommend: The Carnival Cruise Line is the world’s largest and most popular cruise line with destinations all over the world. It offers a Las Vegas-style experience and more.
Ready to fly? Book using these travel coupons and deals:
More guides on Finder
Best caravan parks in Kalbarri, Western Australia
Base yourself moments away from the West Coast’s Kalbarri National Park.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2021
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Best places to visit in the Gold Coast
Find where to go on the Gold Coast for unlimited entertainment from water activities to nature, skyscrapers and beaches.
Best places to visit in Western Australia
Your next trip to the western state is sorted with our complete what-to-do guide.
Best places to visit in South Australia
Discover tourist hotspots like Adelaide and Kangaroo Valley and best kept secrets such as the Yorke Peninsula and Mount Gambier on your next trip around South Australia.
Best places to visit in New South Wales
From tropical, offshore islands to scintillating wine regions, we've rounded up the best places to visit around the state .
Best places to travel in February
5 holiday destinations that should to spend a few days to a week in this February.
Best places to go in the Philippines
Enjoy island escapes, historic towns and all the lechon you can handle.
3 best places to visit in May in Australia
From beach getaways to festival breaks, here are our top picks on where you should jet set (or roadtrip) to this month.
5 best places to cruise in February
A cruise in summer helps you to see the sights without all the crowds. Visit the best destinations for February with the ideal weather for extending your summer fun.
Ask an Expert