9 buzzing places like Las Vegas
Sin City is not the only place to party, eat and gamble your night away.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
The Strip is a place of excess and luxury,proudly wearing the tagline, “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.” But there are many other destinations that offer unique gaming and entertainment getaways. Whether it’s letting your hair down on a man-made island in Dubai or taking in the beauty of Niagara Falls, here are nine alternatives to Vegas that cater to everyone from couples to families with children.
Image: Tourism Australia
1. Gold Coast
Australia’s Gold Coast is home to the world-renowned beaches that make up Surfers Paradise. It also features international theme parks, lush rainforests and award winning restaurants and bars.
- Top casino: Jupiters Hotel & Casino
- Must do and see: Theme parks, Surf, Gold Coast Hinterland Great Walk, Nightlife
- Stay at: Q1 Resort and Spa. This luxury hotel is located inside Australia's tallest building and feature stellar views of the coastline, multiple restaurants, two pools and a full-service spa. Room prices start at $235.
2. Atlantic City
The seaside gaming and resort capital of America’s New Jersey coast, Atlantic City is also known as the “Las Vegas of the East”. The main boardwalk provides easy access to resorts, casinos, fine dining spots and shopping.
- Top casinos: Caesars, Golden Nugget, Bally’s, Borgata, Resorts Casino Hotel
- Must do and see: Lighthouse tours, amusement parks, dolphin watching, Atlantic City Boardwalk
- Stay at: Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa. This upscale casino resort overlooks the marina and features fine dining options and live shows. Rooms start at $599 per night.
Just a short ferry ride from Hong Kong, Macau is a paradox of old and new. On this small peninsula you will find giant casinos, extravagant malls and luxurious villas, as well as signs of its former Portuguese colonisation in the buildings and cuisine.
- Top casinos: Venetian, Grand Lisboa, Sands, MGM Grand, Babylon Casino
- Must do and see: See the House of Dancing Water show, eat Portuguese cuisine at one of the many restaurants and cafes, and explore the Ruins of St. Paul
- Stay at: Hard Rock Hotel Macau. Live like a rockstar in premium rooms furnished with contemporary decor and see the on-site House of Dancing Water show. Rooms start at $323.
Image: Niagara Falls Tourism
4. Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls is one of the world’s most photographed waterfalls. Get up close and personal with this magnificent natural landmark, sitting about 90 minutes from Toronto on the American and Canadian border. Then make the most of your vacation by visiting the surrounding attractions.
- Top casinos: Casino Niagara, Fallsview Casino Resort, Seneca Niagara
- Must do and see: Skylon Tower, Niagara Falls helicopter ride, Niagara Skywheel, Niagara-on-the-Lake wine region
- Stay at: Embassy Suites by Hilton. The closest hotel to Niagara Falls offers panoramic views of the Falls from each guest room. Rooms start at $350.
The second-smallest independent state in the world, Monaco is where the wealthy come to play. While some people choose to stay and play in the iconic Monte Carlo Casino, others flock to the Mediterranean city, which is an easy train ride from Nice, France, to see the Grand Prix raced on city streets.
- Top casinos: Casino de Monte-Carlo, Casino Cafe de Paris, Sun Casino, Monte-Carlo Bay Casino
- Must do and see: Monaco Grand Prix, Ballet and Theatre, Monaco-Ville, Oceanographic Museum and Aquarium
- Stay at: Hotel Hermitage Monte-Carlo. This luxury resort hotel in the heart of Monaco gives travellers a choice of city or courtyard views. Prices start at $1,005.
Dubai draws in tourists with its ultramodern architecture and happening nightlife. Here, you can stay on man made islands in the shape of palm trees or world maps and while gambling is illegal here, there’s enough to see and do that you’ll hardly miss it.
- Top 5 beaches: Jumeirah Beach, Kite Beach, JBR Beach, Sunset Beach, Al Mamzar Beach
- Must do and see: Burj Khalifa, Dubai Fountain, Palm Jumeirah, Dinner in the desert.
- Stay at: Jumeirah Beach Hotel. This 5-star luxury hotel is built in the unique shape of a wave and overlooks the Arabian Gulf. With more than 16 dining options to choose from, you will be spoilt for choice. Rooms start at $511.
The capital of Netherlands is a rich tapestry of culture, history, art and architecture. Experience the city as a local by bicycle, or catch a boat along their picturesque network of canals that have earned this city its nickname as the ‘Venice of the North’.
- Top casino: Holland Casino Amsterdam
- Must do and see: Museums, sculpture parks, Canal cruise, Eat raw herring, Tulip Museum
- Stay at: Amsterdam Marriott Hotel. This luxury hotel is set in the heart of the city, providing easy access to dining options and museums. Rooms start at $261.
Image: New Orleans Tourism
8. New Orleans
New Orleans is a melting pot of food, culture and music with French, African and American influences. Whether you are visiting for a taste of the Mardi Gras parade or exploring history in museums, there is something for everyone in this southern US city.
- Top 5 places: Harrah’s Casino, Treme, Jackson Square, Audubon Zoo, French Quarter
- Must do and see: Mardi Gras World, Nightlife, Museums and Cultural Arts, Nightlife
- Stay at: Loews New Orleans Hotel. Just across the street from Harrah’s Casino, this luxury hotel has picture windows and original local artwork in every room. Rooms start at $425.
Cruises offer a wide range of things to see and do, with pools, health clubs, bars, restaurants and entertainment shows. These floating resorts go all around the world and have something for everyone whether you are 3 or 93.
- Top 5 cruise lines: Carnival Cruise Line, P&O Cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line, Princess Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International
- Must do and see: All-you-can-eat buffets, nightly entertainment, casinos, health club and spas, children-friendly programs
- We recommend: The Carnival Cruise Line is the world’s largest and most popular cruise line with destinations all over the world. It offers a Las Vegas-style experience and more.
Ready to fly? Book using these travel coupons and deals:
More guides on Finder
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
Should I Buy The iPhone 11?
Ahead of the expected reveal of the iPhone 12, now might seem like the time to snaffle up an iPhone 11 bargain, but there's actually a better bargain to be had in low-cost iPhones.
4 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Where to buy robot vacuum cleaners online in Australia
SPONSORED: Whether you need a hybrid mop or a fully autonomous vacuum, these are the best places to buy robot vacuum cleaners in Australia.
Sites like Redbubble for print-on-demand services
If you're looking to buy or sell customised products, we've rounded up a list of sites similar to Redbubble.
8 picture-perfect Cairns resorts to book for 2020
Lose yourself in the top accommodation tropical north Queensland has to offer.
Where to buy cheap suits that still look slick
Finding a great suit at an affordable price doesn't have to be difficult. Try one of these top menswear retailers.
Best mattress toppers in Australia
We’ll help you get a better night's sleep with one of Australia’s best mattress toppers.
Gold Coast resorts for luxury accommodation with all the views
Here are the beachfront resorts with outdoor pools, kids' clubs, acclaimed restaurants and more to really set the scene on your next Gold Coast holiday.
Where to book 4WD hire
Ready to hit the open road on an off-road adventure? Book your 4WD at these rental companies for less.
Ask an Expert