8 places like Ibiza that are hotspots for holiday parties
The sun is always shining at these party hubs.
The all-night raver, the sun worshipper and the festival punter – you’ll find them all on the island of Ibiza during the European summer. From May to October, the clubbing capital of Europe overflows with foam, popcorn and boat parties where punters dance to the beat of their own drum.
Away from the nightlife, this Spanish island offers some of the most enviable beaches on this side of the Mediterranean. They range from popular outposts like Platja d’en Bossa to hidden beach gems that only the locals know about.
If you’ve missed the boat to Ibiza this year or you’re looking to change things up and are seeking that party island vibe elsewhere, you’re not short on options. These are just a few of the places that offer sunkissed beaches and that killer clubbing atmosphere that rings throughout Ibiza day and night.
1. Mykonos, Greece
The only place to be when you want to party in Greece.
Located in the heart of the Cyclades, Mykonos is a haven of white-washed buildings, sun-soaked beaches and lively bars and clubs. In the heat of summer, throngs of party chasers flock to the southern end of the island to dance from sunset to sunrise. Then they return the next day to do it all over again.
- Hottest bars and clubs: Paradise Club, Cavo Paradiso, Tropicana and Scandinavian Bar.
- Hottest beaches: Paradise Beach, Super Paradise Beach and Psarrou.
- Peak season: June to October
Check the price of flights to Greece
2. Patong, Thailand
With beer bars, go-go bars, discotheques and massage parlors aplenty, the resort town of Patong in Phuket is a hotbed for good times and long nights.
Patong is the largest town on the island of Phuket and is its biggest and busiest beach destination. The neon-lit Bangla Road welcomes a thriving nightlife that has garnered Patong a reputation of being the sin city of Phuket. You don’t have to travel far to get away from it, though, as a half hour away you’ll find towns like Rawai and Kata where beachcombers soak up the sunshine and swan through blue waters at their leisure.
- Hottest bars and clubs: Seduction, Illuzion, White Room Nightclub and Tiger.
- Hottest beaches (on Phuket): Patong Beach, Kata Beach, Karong Beach, Kamala Beach and Bangtao Beach.
- Peak season: November to April.
Check the price of flights to Thailand
3. Legian, Indonesia
Luxurious beach hotels, amazing sunsets and some of Bali’s best nightclubs makes Legian the place to be on a Friday night.
Or any other night for that matter. Located just north of Kuta on the island of Bali, Legian offers a relaxed atmosphere by day and a sizzling party scene by night. Bars and nightclubs line the promenade offering shisha lounges, blues bars and throbbing clubs.
- Hottest bars and clubs: Sky Garden Rooftop Lounge, Vi Ai Pi Bali, Eikon and MBarGo.
- Hottest beaches (on or near Legian): Legian Beach, Seminyak Beach and Kuta Beach.
- Peak season: July to August.
Check the price of flights to Bali
4. Boracay, Philippines
Boracay is a juxtaposition of sleepy island town and midnight party spot that’s both affordable and accessible for Australians.
What was once the best kept secret of the Philippines is now one of the most heavily lauded and popular beach resorts in the world. Today Boracay is synonymous with white sun-kissed beaches, clear waters and dreamlike holidays. Its nightlife is an endless frenzy of cheap drinks, balmy dance floors and eclectic tunes. Just the way you like it, right?
- Hottest bars and clubs: Sandbar Beach Club, Epic Bar, Boracay Stars, Coco Bar, Summer Place and Exit Bar.
- Hottest beaches: White Beach, Puka Beach, Diniwid Beach, Bulabog Beach and Ilig Iligan Beach.
- Peak season: November to May.
Check the price of flights to the Philippines
5. Cancun, Mexico
When the weather begins to cool in Australia, the Mayan Riviera is just starting to heat up!
Located on the Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is a Caribbean paradise of idyllic long beachfronts, luxurious resort hotels and underwater treasures. While the city draws an international crowd of holidaymakers, it’s particularly popular with spring breakers as an accessible and relatively affordable destination that offers everything from classy clubs to student dive bars.
- Hottest bars and clubs: The City, Senor Frog, Margaritaville, Fat Tuesdays and Coco Bongo, Palazzo and Crazy Hot Coyote.
- Hottest beaches: Playa Delfines, Playa Forum, Playa Chac Mool, Playa Las Perlas, Playa Langosta and Playa Gaviota Azul.
- Peak season: December to May.
Check the price of flights to Mexico
6. Hvar, Croatia
The Adriatic island that never sleeps.
With its enviable white beaches and azure waters, it’s hard to overlook Croatia as a utopic beach destination. For night ravers and clubbing hounds, Hvar’s got the goods. Accessible by ferry from Split, summer nights in Hvar Town are long and loud with parties and punters ruling the streets.
- Hottest bars and clubs: Carpe Diem, Kiva, Red Baron and Tri Prsuta Wine Bar.
- Hottest beaches: Carpe Diem Beach, Dubovica, Lucisca and Grebisce.
- Peak season: June to September.
Check the price of flights to Croatia
7. Magaluf, Spain
Party with the Brits in the Majorca resort town of Magaluf.
During winter Magaluf is a ghost town, but when the weather warms up it quickly transforms into one of the wildest party destinations in Europe. The resort is home to the biggest nightclub in Europe, BCM Planet Dance, and attracts some of the world’s top DJs like David Guetta, Calvin Harris and Tiesto year after year.
- Hottest bars and clubs: BCM Planet Dance, Banana’s Club, Boomerang, Project Club, Tokio Joe’s and Intriga.
- Hottest beaches: Cala Llombards Beach, Cala Mayor Beach, Cala Romantica Beach, Cala Figuera Beach and Ca’n Picafort Beach.
- Peak season: May to September.
Check the price of flights to Spain
7. Ayia Napa, Cyprus
Take a walk along Ayia Napa’s promenade to your new favourite watering hole.
Ayia Napa might be the mecca for hardcore clubbers and celebrities during the heat of summer, but this exquisite beach resort has so much more to offer than its rich party scene. During the season, adventure seekers can go bungee jumping, culture vultures can explore the town’s iconic 14th century monastery and water babies can dip into azure blue waters and explore sea caves.
- Hottest bars and clubs: Aqua, River Reggae, Black N White, Castle, Abyss and Club Ice.
- Hottest beaches: Ayia Napa and Nissi Beach.
- Peak season: April to September.
Check the price of flights to Cyprus
Best beach holiday deals
Search for cheap flights to anywhere from your local airport
Select your home airport and hit ‘search’ to find the best deals you can jump on. US only.