Exquisite beaches, blue lagoons, exotic islands and fascinating local culture - you won’t believe that it’s not Fiji.
Fiji is a gem in the South Pacific, but this archipelago is not the only tropical destination for honeymooners or families looking for a heady mix of adventure, culture and relaxation. Dive into this list of alternative destinations that feature diverse natural beauty, from stunning diving sites to majestic volcanoes and lush rainforests. With distinct cuisine, friendly locals and cultures as unique as the geography, you’re spoilt for choice. A word of warning though: after a holiday at any of these places, you will want to come back every year.
5 places like Fiji
- Top 3 beaches: Champagne Beach, Erakor Beach, Eton Beach
- Must do/see: Relax on the beaches, witness a Nekowear Ceremony, learn about the ancient lifestyle and traditions of the local villagers, kayaking and scuba diving.
- Stay in: Grand Hotel & Casino. This upscale hotel sits on a prime waterfront location overlooking Iririki Island and the Port Vila market. Rooms start at $299 per night.
2. Tahiti / Society Islands
- Top 3 beaches: Lafayette Beach, Plage de Toaroto, Point Venus Beach
- Must do/see: Shopping at the Public Mart, take the Circle-Island Tour, visit museums, go on a hiking tour, scuba diving
- Stay in: Manava Suite Resort. This luxury resort boasts the largest infinity pool on the island with spectacular lagoon views. Rooms start at $399.
3. Solomon Islands
- Top 3 beaches: Gizo, Munda, Honiara
- Must do/see: Scuba dive wreck sites, scale a volcano, immerse yourself in WWII history, handicraft shopping, island hopping
- Stay in: Heritage Park Hotel. Stay in the capital of Solomon Islands and easily access shopping malls, golf clubs and dive sites. Rooms start at $307.
- Top 3 beaches: Trou aux Biches Beach, Belle Mare Beach, Gris Gris Beach
- Must do/see: Visit the capital of Port Louis, check out the view at Black River Gorges National Park, see giant tortoises at Chamarel, kite-surfing, Mauritian rum
- Stay in: Grand Bay Suites. Stay right on the popular Grand Bay Beach in a self-sustaining apartment equipped with a kitchenette, stove and refrigerator. Apartments start from $131
5. Easter Island
- Top 3 beaches: Anakena, Ovahe, Pea Beach
- Must do/see: Easter Island statues, visit the Rano Raraku volcano and archeological sites, take part in the Tapati Rapa Nu Festival, scuba diving and surfing.
- Stay in: Cabañas Christophe. Rent rooms or self-contained cabins on the slopes of the Rano Kau Volcano. These charming cabins are made from local materials. Rooms start at $138.