5 places like Fiji where you can live the island life like a boss
Exquisite beaches, blue lagoons, exotic islands and fascinating local culture - you won’t believe that it’s not Fiji.
Fiji is a gem in the South Pacific, but this archipelago is not the only tropical destination for honeymooners or families looking for a heady mix of adventure, culture and relaxation. Dive into this list of alternative destinations that feature diverse natural beauty, from stunning diving sites to majestic volcanoes and lush rainforests. With distinct cuisine, friendly locals and cultures as unique as the geography, you’re spoilt for choice. A word of warning though: after a holiday at any of these places, you will want to come back every year.
This 80-island archipelago has some of the world’s best scuba diving sites, where you can explore coral reefs and shipwrecks. Hike volcanic trails, immerse yourself in the local culture or simply relax on the many deserted beaches.
- Top 3 beaches: Champagne Beach, Erakor Beach, Eton Beach
- Must do/see: Relax on the beaches, witness a Nekowear Ceremony, learn about the ancient lifestyle and traditions of the local villagers, kayaking and scuba diving.
- Stay in: Grand Hotel & Casino. This upscale hotel sits on a prime waterfront location overlooking Iririki Island and the Port Vila market. Rooms start at $299 per night.
Search flights to Vanuatu
Find a Vanuatu cruise from just $629
Explore Vanuatu by cruise, now available from $629 with CruiseAway.
2. Tahiti / Society Islands
Located in the heart of the South Pacific, the islands of Tahiti offer a world of mighty mountains, beautiful black-sand beaches and rich Tahitian culture. Take in the majestic natural wonders and sacred Polynesian stone structures and enjoy a change from the usual white-sand beaches.
- Top 3 beaches: Lafayette Beach, Plage de Toaroto, Point Venus Beach
- Must do/see: Shopping at the Public Mart, take the Circle-Island Tour, visit museums, go on a hiking tour, scuba diving
- Stay in: Manava Suite Resort. This luxury resort boasts the largest infinity pool on the island with spectacular lagoon views. Rooms start at $399.
Search flights to Tahiti
See the best of Tahiti from $58
Take a Tahiti island tour, visit waterfalls or cruise at sunset with tours and attractions from Viator from $58.
3. Solomon Islands
The Solomon Islands offers the best of both worlds for the laidback and the adventurous traveller. Relive World War II in the many battle sites and relics found both on land and deep under water. Scale volcanoes or trek through the lush rainforests and waterfall walks. For a more relaxed adventure, walk along exotic beaches or through local villages nearby.
- Top 3 beaches: Gizo, Munda, Honiara
- Must do/see: Scuba dive wreck sites, scale a volcano, immerse yourself in WWII history, handicraft shopping, island hopping
- Stay in: Heritage Park Hotel. Stay in the capital of Solomon Islands and easily access shopping malls, golf clubs and dive sites. Rooms start at $307.
Search flights to Solomon Islands
Image: Mauritius Tourism
The volcanic island nation of Mauritius is the epitome of heaven on Earth. Famed for its picture perfect blue waters, powder-white beaches and technicolor reefs, the views are stunning everywhere you turn. Hire a car to explore tea plantations or sugarcane fields and be sure to enjoy some Mauritian rum before you leave.
- Top 3 beaches: Trou aux Biches Beach, Belle Mare Beach, Gris Gris Beach
- Must do/see: Visit the capital of Port Louis, check out the view at Black River Gorges National Park, see giant tortoises at Chamarel, kite-surfing, Mauritian rum
- Stay in: Grand Bay Suites. Stay right on the popular Grand Bay Beach in a self-sustaining apartment equipped with a kitchenette, stove and refrigerator. Apartments start from $131
Search flights to Mauritius
Latest flight deals to Mauritius
Flights to Mauritius available from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide from $1,336 return.
5. Easter Island
Image: Easter Island Tourism
The statues of Easter Island, or Rapa Nui as it’s known to locals, has drawn in tourists from all over the world. The best way to explore is by car, bike or horseback, and watching the sun set among the logic-defying Moai statues is an unforgettable experience. The clear blue waters also make the Easter Island an ideal place to surf and scuba dive.
- Top 3 beaches: Anakena, Ovahe, Pea Beach
- Must do/see: Easter Island statues, visit the Rano Raraku volcano and archeological sites, take part in the Tapati Rapa Nu Festival, scuba diving and surfing.
- Stay in: Cabañas Christophe. Rent rooms or self-contained cabins on the slopes of the Rano Kau Volcano. These charming cabins are made from local materials. Rooms start at $138.
Search flights to Easter Island
4-day Easter Island tour for two people from $1,139
Discover Easter Island on a private tour visiting ruins, volcanoes and beaches with a 4-day trip from G Adventures from $1,139 for two people.
Ready to fly? Book using these travel coupons and deals:
Asia from $377 return
Valid on flights from February until April. Destinations include Beijing, Shanghai, Bali, Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Penang, Kota Kinabalu.
Fly to Bali from $236 return
Valid on select dates until March. Sample fares include Perth to Bali for $236, Adelaide to Bali for $292, Melbourne to Bali from $364, Brisbane to Bali for $520 and Sydney to Bali from $428.
Up to 30% off resorts in Asia and Middle East
Valid for booking and stays until 14th December, 2016. Book now to reserve the best for less. Anantara’s luxurious suites and villas are now yours to enjoy in extraordinary destinations at savings of 30%.
Fly to Nadi from $350
Browse sale flights with Virgin Australia to Fiji from $350 one-way.
Book Vanuatu hotels from $73/pn
Stay in a Vanuatu bungalow for as little as $73 per night.
Flights to Bali from $452 return
Fly to Bali from as little as $452 return with Expedia. Dates for December 2016 ex. Perth.