10 places like Daylesford for food, wine and relaxation
Surround yourself with good food and good company at these wine countries that are perfect like Daylesford.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Set in the foothills of the Great Dividing Range, Daylesford is paradise for anyone looking to escape the daily grind and unwind in a spa with a local wine in hand.
If you feel like branching out to indulge at the cellar door of another vineyard, there are some stunners worthy of sharing the shelf with a Daylesford wine.
Try these out if you don’t believe us:
1. Hunter Valley
New South Wales’ pride and glory is all that and more.
The Hunter Valley is one of the most popular wine destinations for weekend breaks, hens’ parties and romantic outings for Sydneysiders. Boasting impeccable wines by family estates, local cheeses and handmade fudge, it’s a foodie’s paradise.
- Where to unwind: The Spa at Chateau Elan Hunter Valley, Hunter Valley Reflections Day Spa and Ubika Spa.
- Best valley tour: A Feast for the Senses. This tour includes a scenic flight over the valley, massage and three-course lunch.
2. Yarra Valley
Daylesford isn’t Victoria’s only luxury wine region. It has the Yarra Valley too.
Nestled beside the Dandenong Ranges, the Yarra Valley is a breathtaking region that features vineyards, pretty villages, winding roads and walking trails through thick forest and fern gullies.
- Where to unwind: Natskin Day Spa, Piaf Day Spa and Aveda Day Spa.
- Best valley tour: Yarra Valley Wine Region Tour. Straight to the point, it’s all about wine when in the Yarra, and this perfect tour covers four wineries in one day.
3. Tamar Valley
Get away from it all without leaving the country at one of Tasmania’s most heralded wine regions.
Just outside of Launceston, the Tamar Valley is the ultimate destination to chillax. It’s the kind of place where you can nurse a coffee all day in a cafe or take in a wine route to sample some of the best reds, whites, ciders and truffles in the country. The choice is yours.
- Where to unwind: Aspect Tamar Valley Resort and Day Spa and Pomona Spa Cottages.
- Best valley tour: Tamar Valley Food and Wine Tour. If food and wine are your staples in life, this tour has both.
4. Margaret River
Dip into coastal waters in the morning and knock back a craft beer in the evening at Margaret River.
Minutes from the coast, Margaret River is an epicentre of relaxation. Its warm climate means the beaches around Margaret River Mouth and Surfers Point are inviting all year round and, naturally, so are the region’s wineries, craft breweries and boutique cellars.
- Where to unwind: Margaret River Region Day Spa, Injidup Spa Retreat and Hanu Day Spa.
- Best valley tour: Heroes of Margaret River Guided Tasting Lunch. There’s something rewarding in sitting down with the makers of fine cuisine and learning about their craft. This tour lets you do just that.
For some of the best sauvignon blancs in the southern hemisphere, it’s got to be New Zealand’s Marlborough region.
On the northern tip of New Zealand’s south island is where you’ll find this legendary wine destination. Follow the signs and when you see the vineyards you’ll know you’ve arrived. With over 40 cellar doors, it’s New Zealand’s largest wine region and, arguably, its best.
- Where to unwind: Mirtu Day Spa and Arthur Devine Inspired Salons and Spa.
- Best valley tour: Full Day Taste the Wines of Marlborough Tour. With so many great cellar doors to drink from, a stellar tour will ensure you visit only the very best.
Surrounded by snow-capped mountains and glacial lakes, New Zealand’s Otago region is an adventure mecca with a hidden secret.
That secret? Some of the finest wines in the world. Follow the Queenstown Wine Trail to discover boutique and family wineries that are well worth sampling. Just make sure you’ve got a designated driver!
- Where to unwind: Spa Pools Otago and Body Sanctum Day Spa Queenstown.
- Best valley tour: Classic Wine Tour. You can’t go wrong with a classic tour that encompasses the Otago region and Wanaka.
One after the other, the Tuscan coast is lined with the most endearing wineries and scenery. Get amongst it.
Beaches might be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of the Tuscan coast but venture inland and you’ll discover some of the most notable wine regions in the world. These include Chianti, Sangiovese, Super Tuscans, Vin Santo and Brunello di Montalcino.
- Where to unwind: Tuscany Wellness and Spa, Fonteverde and Castello del Nero Hotel and Spa.
- Best valley tour: Tuscany Wine Tour from Florence. Explore the Tuscan coast as you travel from Florence along one of the Tuscan wine trails.
A list of world-class wine regions wouldn’t be complete without Bordeaux. Agreed?
France and wine go hand in hand, and one of the country’s most highly regarded wine regions is Bordeaux. Scattered with Gothic churches and art museums, Bordeaux produces 960 million bottles of wine per year and boasts everything from everyday tipples to expensive, one-of-a-kind masterpieces.
- Where to unwind: Bordeaux Spa Institut, Spa de Seze and Spa 2 Be.
- Best valley tour: Medoc or St Emilion Wine Tasting and Chateaux Tour from Bordeaux. When in France, a visit to a chateau is a must. Alongside a royal wine-tasting tour, naturally.
With two-thirds of Argentina’s wines produced here, there must be something in the water at Mendoza.
Mendoza presents a unique winery experience. Set in the foothills of the Andes and planted on average 600 to 1,000 metres above sea level, these are the world’s highest vineyards.
- Where to unwind: The Vines Resort and Spa, Hotel and Spa Termas Cacheuta.
- Best valley tour: Wine Tasting and Cheese Pairing. Uncork Mendoza as you learn how to pair Argentina’s finest wines with locally made cheeses.
10. Napa Valley
Take your Californian holiday even further with a relaxing side-trip to the illustrious Napa Valley.
The USA’s Napa Valley is a premier viticultural landscape of over 400 wineries as well as dozens of topnotch restaurants and relaxing outposts. Enjoy.
- Where to unwind: Calistoga Spa Hot Springs, The Health Spa at Meadowood, The Preserve Spa at Napa Valley Marriott and Baths at Roman Spa.
- Best valley tour: Full Day Napa and Sonoma Wine Education Tour with Lunch. Immerse yourself in wine country with a tram tour to a family winery where you’ll learn about the art and science of biodynamic winemaking.
Best wine region deals
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: 75% off deluxe massage chairs, 45% off mini wildlife cameras, 64% off BBQ Grill Charcoal Smokers.
Riot Art and Craft promo codes August 2021
Explore the latest and greatest Riot Art and Craft promo codes here and save big on craft supplies today.
A guide to using the Loopring Decentralised Exchange
Learn how to save on Ethereum gas fees by using the Loopring decentralised exchange, and earn money as a liquidity provider.
ASUS ROG Flow X13 GV301 review: Come for the portability, stay for the graphics power
ASUS's ROG Flow X13 GV301 is one of the most "2-in-1" laptops we've ever tested, just as capable as a simple lightweight ultrabook as it is a higher end gaming laptop.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
How to stake Cardano (ADA)
Earn interest on idle ADA tokens by staking within the Cardano blockchain.
How to stake Synthetix (SNX)
Learn how to stake Synthetix (SNX) tokens and earn rewards by providing collateral for the Synthetix exchange.
How to stake Chainlink (LINK)
Learn how to stake Chainlink (LINK) tokens and earn rewards through exchanges, lending services and node operation on the Chainlink network.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Ask an Expert