Compare flight, hotel, vacation and cruise packages.
7 off-the-charts places like Amsterdam
These destinations have the nightlife to rival the city of Amsterdam. Guaranteed.
Canals, coffee shops and its infamous red light district are what Amsterdam is famous for. It’s the type of place where debauchery is rife and fun is the only thing on the agenda.
If you’re searching for somewhere that is just as off the charts for a blow-out holiday or bucks night, Amsterdam’s not the only place with that “no holds barred” attitude. These cities do it just as well, too.
If not better.
1. Berlin, Germany
This cosmopolitan capital is a melting pot of artists, clubbing revellers and expats.
Similar to Amsterdam, canals run through the city centre and clubs and raves kick on well into the morning. As do the bottle shops.
- Top five must-dos: Take a historic river cruise through the city, party it up in one of the many clubs, visit the artist slums, spend a day on Museum Island and pay a visit to the remains of the Berlin Wall at the East Side Gallery.
- Best clubs: Berghain is the nightclub that never stops. Notorious for its three-day benders, if you manage to get through the doors let us know – it’s strictly for the elitist only.
2. Christiania, Denmark
This unassuming party mecca houses one cool secret. Its name? Christiania.
It’s a free town in the middle of Copenhagen that isn’t governed by the laws of the rest of the city. This hippy-central is an eco-friendly, car-free neighbourhood where you can smoke and trade weed legally, eat from organic restaurants and dance till dawn in unique music venues. Oh, and like Amsterdam a common form of transport (practically the only form of transport outside of walking) is bike.
NB: Christiania has a history of pulling down its cannabis stalls whenever incidents occur. As at September 2016, the stalls have again been removed.
- Top five must-dos: Check out the city’s murals, signs and graffiti, visit Pusher Street, hit up a club, check out the unique houses and just generally walk around and be amazed.
- Best music venues: Copenhagen Jazz Club, The Grey Hall and Nemoland.
3. Bangkok, Thailand
You might think that Thailand’s islands have all the fun, but Bangkok still has a few tricks up her sleeve.
Similar to Amsterdam, Bangkok is a city of waterways. Travel down the Chao Phraya River and you’ll be amazed at the landscape of built-up metropolis and ornate temples. Like Amsterdam, Bangkok boasts a stunning adult nightlife of cheap drinks and go-go girls.
- Top five must-dos: Cruise down the Chao Phraya River, visit temples (wats), hit up the Chatuchak weekend market, eat from the floating market and walk through Patpong, the home of go-go culture.
- Best party spots: The three red light districts of Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza and Patpong
5. Barcelona, Spain
From boat parties to midweek music mash-ups, there’s always something going on in this port city.
Walking down Barcelona’s main La Ramblas street at 1am you might think that this city never sleeps, but you’d be wrong. It takes siesta between 1:30pm and 4pm. After that, it’s all late-night food, late-night drinks and parties till dawn – every day of the week.
- Top five must-dos: Sagrada Familia, La Rambla, Park Guell, Gothic Quarter and Camp Nou stadium.
- Best party spots: Gothic Quarter for electronica, techno and dance, the beach and port for exclusive and luxurious evenings out and Montjuïc in summer for those off-kilter summer all-nighters.
6. Las Vegas, Nevada
Could Sin City be Amsterdam’s biggest rival?
Sure it might not have the waterways or the cannabis tolerance that makes Amsterdam such a party magnet, but debauchery is the name of the game in Vegas. Think frenetic 24/7 mayhem to the tune of off the wall parties, Cuban cigars rolled fresh in front of you, topless pool parties and provocative novelty drinking vessels.
- Top five must-dos: Walk the Las Vegas Strip, helicopter over the Grand Canyon, swim in Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay, drive the Las Vegas Motor Speedway and catch a Vegas show.
- Best clubs: Hakkasan, Hyde Bellagio, Light, Marquee, Drai’s and XS.
7. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Music and passion are always the fashion at Copacabana.
Rio de Janeiro and its glorious Copacabana Beach are the settings for more than a handful of heated moonlit throngs. Home to a New Year’s Eve party of epic proportions, during the rest of the year the beach welcomes millions of revelers to its hip, luxe and LGBT-friendly clubs.
- Top five must-dos: Sunbake on Copacabana Beach, sunbake on Ipanema Beach, gaze on Christ the Redeemer, scale Sugarloaf Mountain and dance at Carnival.
- Best clubs: Le Boy, Fosfobox, Bip Bip and New Mariuzinn Copacabana.
8. Prague, Czech Republic
Think Prague doesn’t belong on this list? You haven’t seen its underground cave bars or dive bars.
The historic city of Prague is everything Amsterdam is and more. Not only does it have a heated nightlife of insane clubs and a river running through its picturesque township, it also has something Amsterdam doesn’t: cheap drinks. Similar to its German neighbour, the nation drinks beer like water and is priced as such. You know the drill.
- Top five must-dos: See Prague Castle, read the Prague astronomical clock, visit the Jewish Quarter, drink beer and climb the Petrin lookout tower.
- Best clubs: Karlovy Lazne is the largest club in Eastern Europe and spans over five storeys. It’s open every day until 6am. Other clubs worth checking out include Lucerna and Sasazu.
Best travel deals to these party hotspots
Latest travel offers
Ask an Expert