Review: Pinoy First international money transfers
Get competitive exchange rates and fees when you send money from Australia to the Philippines with Pinoy First.
- Competitive exchange rates and fees
- Multiple transfer methods
- Prompt customer support
Not so great for
- Sending money to somewhere other than the Philippines
- Smaller transfers
Pinoy First exchange rates and fees
Pinoy First offers competitive exchange rates that are typically higher than you might get from a major bank. However, the company does make money from the margin that it adds to its rates. The margin is the difference between the standard mid-market exchange rate and the exchange rate that Pinoy First quotes you.
A flat transaction fee also applies to each transfer. Bank transfers attract the lowest fees, while cash pick-up and home delivery transactions are more expensive.
Pinoy First specialises in international money transfers from Australia to the Philippines, allowing you to pay in Australian dollars (AUD) and send Philippine pesos (PHP) to friends and family in the Philippines.
No other currencies are available.
What types of transfers can you make with Pinoy First?
Pinoy First offers three transfer types:
- Bank account transfers. You can send money from your Australian bank account to any bank account in the Philippines.
- Cash pick-up transfers. If you want your recipient to access the funds as quickly as possible, you can send a cash pick-up transfer, which they can collect from Pinoy First's network partner locations across the Philippines.
- Home delivery transfers. If convenience is your main concern, Pinoy First can also deliver the cash to your recipient's doorstep.
How long does a transfer with Pinoy First take?
Pinoy First transfer times vary depending on the transfer method you select and how long it takes for your payment to clear in Pinoy First's bank account.
Bank account transfers
Same business day
Once your payment has cleared, the funds you send should arrive in your recipient's account on the same business day if sent to a BDO account, or by the end of the day if sent to a non-BDO account. Cut-off time for same-day processing is 12:00pm AEST.
Cash pick-up transfers
Once your payment has cleared with Pinoy First, your recipient should be able to collect the cash you send within 2-3 hours.
Home delivery transfers
Processing time varies depending on a range of factors, including how long your deposit takes to clear and where your recipient lives.
What payment methods does Pinoy First accept?
Pinoy First only accepts Internet banking transfers.
Is Pinoy First safe to use?
- Security and regulation: Regulated by ASIC and reports to AUSTRAC
- Established: January 2013
- Reviews: TrustScore of 8.9/10 from 28 reviews on Trustpilot
*According to Pinoy First and Trustpilot on 5 February 2019.
Pinoy First is regulated by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC). It is also registered as a remittance service with AUSTRAC (Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre) and must satisfy AUSTRAC reporting requirements.
There's limited information on the company's website about what other security measures are in place to protect client funds. However, when you register for an account, you're required to create a four-digit security PIN, which you'll need to use to identify and authorise any transactions.
How does Pinoy First make money?
Pinoy First makes money in two ways:
- Fees. Pinoy First charges a transfer fee on all transactions. This fee varies depending on the type of transfer you choose.
- Exchange rate margin. The margin refers to the difference between the mid-market exchange rate and the exchange rate that Pinoy First offers to customers. The mid-market rate is the figure you see quoted on XE and Google – it's also known as the interbank rate and reflects the true value of one currency relative to another. For example, at the time of writing the mid-market AUD/PHP rate was 1 AUD = 37.82 PHP, while Pinoy First quotes an exchange rate of 1 AUD = 37.60 PHP.
How to register an account
How do I make an international money transfer with Pinoy First?
If you want to send money from Australia to the Philippines with Pinoy First, here's what you'll need to do:
- Step 1: Login to your account.
- Step 2: Create a payment instruction. You'll need to specify how much money you want to send and how your recipient will access the funds.
- Step 3: Review the exchange rate and fee that will apply to your transaction.
- Step 4: Transfer funds to Pinoy First's bank account using your online banking service.
- Step 5: Once your payment has cleared, Pinoy First will forward the money to your recipient.
- Step 6: You will receive email updates on the status of your transaction and you can also track the transfer online through the Pinoy First website.
What is Pinoy First?
Pinoy First is an international money transfer service that specialises in sending money from Australia to the Philippines. Established in January 2013, the Queensland-based business offers online transfers to anywhere in the Philippines. The company offers same-day transaction processing and aims to provide a secure and reliable way to send funds overseas.
In a nutshell
- Competitive transfer costs. Compare the exchange rate and transaction fees charged by Pinoy First with those offered by other money transfer services to work out whether it offers good value for money.
- Multiple transfer types. Whether you want to send a bank account transfer, home delivery or cash pick-up, Pinoy First allows you to choose the most convenient option for your needs.
- Customer support. You can contact Pinoy First's customer support team from 9am to 5pm Brisbane time via phone, email and live chat.
- Philippines only. If you want to send an international money transfer to somewhere other than the Philippines, you'll need to consider other transfer services.
- Fees on small transfers. Because Pinoy First charges flat fees on all transfers, if you're only sending a small amount you might be able to find a lower transaction fee elsewhere.
How does Pinoy First compare to other providers?
Check out the table below to find out how the exchange rates, transaction fees and transfer times of Pinoy First compare to those offered by other leading transfer services.
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
SendFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. T&Cs apply.
Fee-free transfers in 30+ currencies to over 200 countries.
Better exchange rates for Finder customers.
Send 60+ currencies at competitive rates and no fees. If you find a better eligible quote, WorldFirst will beat it.
Ask an Expert