Turn your phone into a TV, a jukebox, a GPS and more with the latest mobile phone accessories.
Phones may be flashier and more feature-packed than ever these days, but there's still plenty of room left to pimp them out with all manner of accessories, both functional and fashionable. From rugged, impact-proof cases and handy dashboard mounts to selfie sticks and Bluetooth speakers, there are countless ways to turn your phone from a mere communications device into something far more versatile.
Ultimate Ears WonderBoom Portable Bluetooth Speaker
Dick Smith Electronics
SanDisk 32GB Ultra microSDHC card
Dick Smith Electronics
Anker PowerCore 20100mAh USB Power Bank
Dick Smith Electronics
What kinds of mobile phone accessories are there?
With newer, more powerful smartphones releasing practically every other week, the accessories available for them continue to grow in number and variety. While mainstays like protective cases and charging cables remain as popular as ever, more recent fare like portable battery packs, wireless speakers and even virtual reality headsets have found success by extending a phone's capabilities beyond those built into it.
There are far too many varieties of mobile phone accessories to list them all here, but these are some of the most popular ones:
- Chargers. Between work, home and travel, you can never have too many phone chargers. Along with the standard wall chargers, you can find car chargers for rejuvenating your phone while you're on the road, multi-port chargers for juicing up several phones at once and wireless chargers for touch-on, touch-off charging with the latest phone models.
- Battery packs. For all the improvements to power and functionality, most modern smartphones still suffer from frankly atrocious battery life. Thankfully, portable battery packs allow you to recharge your phone on-the-go, saving you from the nightmare scenario of being stranded in the middle of nowhere with a dead phone and no means of calling for help.
- Cases/covers. There's no denying that phones have become seriously expensive over the years. When you're holding thousands of dollars' worth of technology in the palm of your hand, you want to make sure it's not going to shatter into a million pieces at the slightest bump or drop. That's why a sturdy case remains one of the best mobile phone accessories you can buy.
- Headsets. Whether you buy into the concerns surround mobile phones and microwave radiation or not, holding your phone up to your ear to make a call is simply an inconvenience. Slipping on a wired or wireless headset is so much easier, especially if you like to walk and talk or keep working while you're on a call.
- Speakers. Thanks to services like Spotify and Apple Music, there's no need to lug around a bag full of CDs to take your music collection with you. Even better, you can share that music with those around you by hooking up a Bluetooth speaker and transforming your phone into a pocket-sized jukebox. Rock on.
- Cables. The future may be wireless, but we're not there yet. In the meantime, making sure you have enough USB and charging cables to keep you connected at home, at work and on holiday is vital.
- Memory cards. All those HD videos and multi-megapixel photos modern phones support take up a hefty chunk of digital space. Fortunately, expanding your phone's storage capacity with a new memory card is relatively cheap and easy, and most handsets support the standard microSD format for added convenience.
- Screen protectors. Of all a phone's components, the screen is the most fragile. It's also the component where damage is most noticeable, which is why it's crucial to protect it from the many knocks it'll receive as you go about your day-to-day. There's no shortage of cheap screen protectors to help with this, but it's often worth spending a little extra and getting a tempered glass screen protector for additional peace of mind.
- Stands/mounts. Phone screens are massive compared to the postage stamps they used to be years ago, capable now of acting as mini TVs while you're lying in bed or as GPS units for your car. All you need is a decent stand or mount to hold your phone in place and voila: your pocket computer proves its versatility once more.
The latest mobile phone accessories news and reviews
Wireless chargers promise easy power boosts to your compatible smartphone, but how well do they deliver the power you crave? Read more…
Motorola's Gamepad Moto Mod will change the way you play Android games, but at a pretty stiff asking price. Read more…
Google's updated VR headset offers the best comfort of any VR headset, but it's lacking in really attractive apps to make the most of virtual reality. Read more…
Apple's iPhone X is very sleek and attractive, but it's less sexy if you drop and smash it, which is where a good case makes sense. Read more…
Apple’s AirPods deliver top quality sound, but their design needs refinement. Read more…
Plantronics' updated BackBeat Pro 2 headphones deliver crisp sound with exemplary battery life to boot. Read more…