Woolworths Pet Insurance Review
Price match, money off your shop and a $24,000 annual limit are some of the reasons to choose Woolworths pet insurance.
Woolworths pet insurance can cover 80% of eligible vet bills if your cat or dog is ill or accidentally injured. It offers three policies to suit a range of budgets: Comprehensive Cover, Standard Cover and Basic Cover.
Maximum yearly benefit
|Product Name||Woolworths Comprehensive Cover|
|Annual Benefit||$50 on either vaccinations or health checks. Plus $50 for one other treatment.|
|Cooling Off Period||21 days|
|Cruciate Ligament Benefit||$2,600|
|Excess options||Choice of $0 and $100|
|Consultations and Vet Visits||$300|
- It's rarely beaten on price. It will price match if you can find a cheaper comparable policy from another pet insurer.
- It's good if you shop at Woolies. You get 10% off your Woolies shop every month.
- It's good for animal lovers. A portion of your premiums go to Pet Rescue.
- Its $24,000 annual benefit limit is better than the majority of insurers on Finder — only Knose and Petsy offer $1,000 more.
- It pays 80% of eligible vet bills which is relatively standard, though some (like Petsy) give you 100% back.
- Its 10% Woolies groceries discount isn't convenient if you prefer to shop elsewhere.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Woolworths website or compare a bunch of other pet insurance companies with Finder.
🔎 Why choose Woolworths Pet Insurance?
Here are some of the main reasons why it might be worth getting a policy with Woolworths pet insurance.
- Price Beat. It's really good value. If you're able to find a lower comparable quote, Woolworths will beat it.
- GapOnly. Woolworths pet insurance is one of the few providers to let you claim your benefit on the spot so you won't have to worry about getting reimbursed — you'll only need to pay the gap (e.g. the remaining 20%).
- Higher annual limits than most of its competitors. The $24,000 annual limit is double its previous comprehensive policy's annual limit and higher than most of its competitors, which is usually around $15,000.
- Supports Pet Rescue. $10 from every new policy goes towards Pet Rescue, helping a rescue pet find a new home.
- Routine care included with a comprehensive policy. Routine care, which includes services like vaccinations, health checks and dental illness treatment, is automatically included with a comprehensive policy — for some competitors, you have to pay extra for it.
💰 How much does Woolworths Pet Insurance cost?
To help give you an idea about costs for Woolworths pet insurance, we gathered quotes for a few of Australia's favourite dog breeds. Just remember, prices are going to change based on things like your dog's breed and age as well as your address.
|Dog Breed||1yr old||5yr old|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier||$770.28||$1,026.86|
✅ Woolworths Pet Insurance Policy Options
Woolworths pet insurance has three levels of cover to choose from: Basic, Standard and Comprehensive. Here's an overview of what you get with each policy:
|Basic Cover||Standard Cover||Comprehensive Cover|
|Eligible Vet Bills||Up to 80% back||Up to 80% back||Up to 80% back|
|Annual Benefit Limit||$5,000||$10,000||$24,000|
|Consultation Fees||$0||$300 annual limit||$300 annual limit|
|Excess||Choice of $0 and $200||Choice of $0 and $100||Choice of $0 and $100|
🏥 What types of cover does Woolworths pet insurance offer?
Here's a more detailed breakdown of what you'll be covered for with Woolies pet insurance.
Accidental injury can cover you for motor vehicle incidents, burns and electrocutions and allergic reactions caused by bites which result in the following:
- Bone fractures
- Snake bite toxicity
- A traumatic ligament or tendon injury
- A bite wound or fight wound abscesses
- A cruciate ligament conditions
You won't have any waiting periods for accidents, but your pet must be at least eight weeks old to be covered.
If your cat or dog gets sick, Woolies can pay 80% of eligible vet bills. Pets over the age of nine won't be covered for illnesses. You'll also need to serve a 30 day waiting period and 6 months for cruciate ligaments before you're covered. Some examples of illnesses Woolies cover include:
- Cancer treatment
- Skin conditions
- Eye/ear conditions
- Ingestion of a foreign object
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Hereditary and congenital conditions (but not pre-existing conditions)
- Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD)
- Paralysis tick
Routine care is automatically included with Woolworths comprehensive pet insurance policy. It lets you claim $50 every year for vaccinations and health checks. You can also get an additional $50 towards the cost of the following:
- Obedience training
- Dental illness treatment
- Teeth cleaning
- Heartworm control
- Dewclaw removal
- Council registration fees
- Prescription diets
- Alternative therapies
- Cremation or burial
- Behavioural therapy
What's not covered by Woolworths pet insurance
Every policy comes with exclusions. You can usually find them in the general exclusions section of the product disclosure statement (PDS) at the bottom of the provider's website page. With Woolworths pet insurance, you won't be covered for the following:
- Pre-existing conditions (e.g. an illness your pet had before you bought a policy)
- Dental care such as dental procedures, dental diseases, gingivitis and teeth fractures
- Preventative/routine items such as food, vitamins, vaccinations and microchipping (unless you have routine care cover)
- Certain treatments and conditions such as the following:
- Medicated baths
- Accessories like pill poppers
- Training and socialisation
- Behavioural conditions, including anxiety disorders
- Cell-replacement therapies including (but not limited to) stem cell therapy
- Elective treatments
- Negligence by you
- Consequential loss, including economic loss and loss of enjoyment
👥 Woolworths pet insurance reviews
In addition to reviews on Finder below, we looked through Woolies pet insurance customer reviews on productreview.com which goes back 9 years from July 2021. Here's a summary of how Woolworths customer reviews stack up against other brands
- Most claims are accepted in under 2 weeks.
- It has over 125 five star reviews, which is more than Knose and Seniors Pet Insurance, though they have less reviews overall.
- It has a lower rating than several of its competitors including Pet Insurance Australia, Knose and Bow Wow.
- It has over 270 negative reviews – 50 more than competitors Pet Insurance Australia and the same as Bow Wow, both of which have received 1,000 more reviews than Woolies.
If you're a previous or existing customer of Woolworths pet insurance, we'd love to hear from you! Leave a quick review here.
📝 How to submit a Woolworths pet insurance claim
To submit a Woolworths pet insurance claim you have three options:
- Claiming through your vet. Your vet may be able to submit your claim through GapOnly. This means that rather than paying the full vet invoice upfront and waiting to be reimbursed, you simply pay the amount not covered by your policy. Alternatively, your vet might be able to submit your claim electronically on your behalf.
- Make a claim online. You can submit your claim online through Pet Portal. All you need to do is upload a copy of the invoice and consultation notes from the vet.
- Make a paper claim. If you prefer, you can also submit a paper claim form by post or call the company on 1300 10 1234.
✔️ Woolworths Pet Insurance FAQs
Compare other pet insurance policies in Australia
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.