Woolworths Pet Insurance Review
Price match, money off your shop and up to $30,000 annual limit are some of the reasons to choose Woolworths pet insurance.
Woolworths pet insurance can cover 80% of eligible vet bills if your cat or dog is ill or accidentally injured. It offers 5 policies to suit a range of budgets: Comprehensive Plus Cover, Comprehensive Cover, Standard Cover, Basic Cover and Indoor Cat Cover.
Maximum yearly benefit
|Product Name||Woolworths Comprehensive Plus Cover|
|Annual Benefit||$50 on either vaccinations or health checks. Plus $50 for one other treatment.|
|Cooling Off Period||21 days|
|Cruciate Ligament Benefit||$5,000 per leg, per policy period|
|Excess options||Choice of $0, $100 and $500|
|Consultations and Vet Visits||$300|
Receive a quote for Woolworths Pet Insurance policies
- It's rarely beaten on price. It will price match if you can find a cheaper comparable policy from another pet insurer. T&Cs apply.
- It's good if you shop at Woolies. You get 10% off your Woolies shop every month.
- Its $30,000 annual benefit limit for the Comprehensive Plus policy is better than any other provider available on Finder.
- It pays 80% of eligible vet bills which is relatively standard, though some (like Petsy) give you 100% back.
- Its 10% Woolies groceries discount isn't convenient if you prefer to shop elsewhere.
- If your pet has a chronic pre-existing condition or is a non-domestic pet, you won't be able to receive cover.
🔎 Why choose Woolworths Pet Insurance?
Here are some of the main reasons why it might be worth getting a policy with Woolworths pet insurance.
- Price Beat. It's really good value. If you're able to find a lower comparable quote, Woolworths will beat it. T&Cs apply.
- GapOnly. Woolworths pet insurance is one of the few providers to let you claim your benefit on the spot so you won't have to worry about getting reimbursed — you'll only need to pay the gap (e.g. the amount not covered by your policy).
- Higher annual limits than most of its competitors. The $30,000 annual limit for the Comprehensive Plus policy is double its previous comprehensive policy's annual limit and higher than most of its competitors, which is usually around $15,000.
- Supports Pet Rescue. Your new policy will help PetRescue build a safer future for rescue pets in Australia.
💰 How much does Woolworths Pet Insurance cost?
To help give you an idea about costs for Woolworths pet insurance, we gathered quotes for a few of Australia's favourite dog breeds. Just remember, prices are going to change based on things like your dog's breed and age as well as your address.
|Dog Breed||1yr old||5yr old|
|Staffordshire Bull Terrier||$770.28||$1,026.86|
✅ Woolworths Pet Insurance Policy Options
Woolworths pet insurance has five levels of cover to choose from: Basic, Indoor Cat, Standard, Comprehensive and Comprehensive Plus. Here's an overview of what you get with each policy:
|Basic Cover||Indoor Cat Cover||Standard Cover||Comprehensive Cover||Comprehensive Plus Cover|
|Eligible Vet Bills||Up to 80% back||Up to 80% back||Up to 80% back||Up to 80% back||Up to 80% back|
|Annual Benefit Limit||$5,000||$15,000||$10,000||$24,000||$30,000|
|Consultation Fees||$300 annual limit||$300 annual limit||$300 annual limit||$300 annual limit|
|Excess||Choice of $0 and $200||$0||Choice of $0 and $100||Choice of $0 and $100||Choice of $0, $100 and $500|
🏥 What types of cover does Woolworths pet insurance offer?
Here's a more detailed breakdown of what you'll be covered for with Woolies pet insurance.
Accidental injury can cover you for motor vehicle incidents, burns and electrocutions and allergic reactions caused by bites which result in the following:
- Bone fractures
- Snake bite toxicity
- A traumatic ligament or tendon injury
- A bite wound or fight wound abscesses
- A cruciate ligament conditions
You won't have any waiting periods for accidents, but your pet must be at least eight weeks old to be covered.
If your cat or dog gets sick, Woolies can pay 80% of eligible vet bills. Pets over the age of nine won't be covered for illnesses. You'll also need to serve a 30 day waiting period and 6 months for cruciate ligaments before you're covered. Some examples of illnesses Woolies cover include:
- Cancer treatment
- Skin conditions
- Eye/ear conditions
- Ingestion of a foreign object
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Hereditary and congenital conditions (but not pre-existing conditions)
- Intervertebral disc disease (IVDD)
- Paralysis tick
- Indoor Cat cover illnesses covered: Cancer, feline lower urinary tract disease, Gastrointestinal Problems, ingestion of a foreign object, poisoning, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, heart disease, outer and inner ear infections, arthritis, renal disease
You have the option to add routine care to the Woolworths Comprehensive and Comprehesnive Plus policies. It lets you claim $50 every year for vaccinations and health checks. You can also get an additional $50 towards the cost of the following:
- Obedience training
- Dental illness treatment
- Teeth cleaning
- Heartworm preventative
- Dewclaw removal
- Council registration fees
- Prescription diets
- Alternative therapies
- Cremation or burial
- Behavioural therapy
What's not covered by Woolworths pet insurance
Every policy comes with exclusions. You can usually find them in the general exclusions section of the product disclosure statement (PDS) at the bottom of the provider's website page. With Woolworths pet insurance, you won't be covered for the following:
- Pre-existing conditions (e.g. an illness your pet had before you bought a policy)
- Dental care such as dental procedures, dental diseases, gingivitis and teeth fractures
- Preventative/routine items such as food, vitamins, vaccinations and microchipping (unless you have routine care cover). This is covered however, if the Indoor cover is chosen and Dental Illness benefit selected.
- Certain treatments and conditions such as the following:
- Medicated baths
- Accessories like pill poppers
- Training and socialisation
- Behavioural conditions, including anxiety disorders
- Cell-replacement therapies including (but not limited to) stem cell therapy
- Elective treatments
- Negligence by you
- Consequential loss, including economic loss and loss of enjoyment
👥 Woolworths pet insurance reviews
In addition to reviews on Finder below, we looked through Woolies pet insurance customer reviews on productreview.com which goes back 9 years from July 2021. Here's a summary of how Woolworths customer reviews stack up against other brands
- Most claims are accepted in under 2 weeks.
- It has over 125 five star reviews, which is more than Knose and Seniors Pet Insurance, though they have less reviews overall.
- It has a lower rating than several of its competitors including Pet Insurance Australia, Knose and Bow Wow.
- It has over 270 negative reviews – 50 more than competitors Pet Insurance Australia and the same as Bow Wow, both of which have received 1,000 more reviews than Woolies.
If you're a previous or existing customer of Woolworths pet insurance, we'd love to hear from you! Leave a quick review here.
📝 How to submit a Woolworths pet insurance claim
To submit a Woolworths pet insurance claim you have three options:
- Claiming through your vet. Your vet may be able to submit your claim through GapOnly. This means that rather than paying the full vet invoice upfront and waiting to be reimbursed, you simply pay the amount not covered by your policy. Alternatively, your vet might be able to submit your claim electronically on your behalf.
- Make a claim online. You can submit your claim online through Pet Portal. All you need to do is upload a copy of the invoice and consultation notes from the vet.
- Make a paper claim. If you prefer, you can also submit a paper claim form by post or call the company on 1300 10 1234.