While National Seniors is a seniors-advocacy group, adults of any age can support their work by purchasing pet insurance through them.
They take all the guesswork out of buying insurance by offering one straightforward, yet customisable policy that covers your dog or cat for a wide range of illnesses and injuries.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the Petbarn website or compare a bunch of other pet insurance companies with finder.
What cover options does National Seniors offer?
National seniors keeps it simple by offering one level of cover. It's called Illness and Injury cover and it will protect your dog or cat if they get sick or get injured in an accident.
You can also upgrade your cover with the Tender Loving Care package, which will help out with routine treatments like microchipping, vaccinations and teeth cleaning.
Illness and Injury cover
National Seniors' Illness and Injury cover will pay 80% of your vet costs toward all eligible illnesses and injuries covered under your policy, up to a maximum of $12,000 total per year.
In addition to covering illness and injury, the policy also includes the following additional benefits:
- Choose your own excess. You get to choose whether your excess is $0, $100 or $200. This gives you the flexibility to lower your premiums by increasing the excess and vice versa.
- Euthanasia. If a vet says you need to put your pet down, your National Seniors will pay 80% of the bill just as they would with other illnesses and injuries.
- Emergency boarding. This gives you up to $1,000 to board your pet if you are unexpectedly hospitalised. You don't have to pay an excess on it.
- Overseas protection. Your policy covers your pet when they're travelling with you to New Zealand or Norfolk Island.
Tender Loving Care Package
For an additional premium, you can add the Tender Loving Care package to your Illness and Injury cover. This will pay you $100 total (excess doesn't apply) for routine care treatments including:
- Teeth cleaning
- Heartworm medication
- Council registration fees
What won't your policy cover?
You National Seniors Illness and Injury cover has a list of situations your policy will not cover. These include:
- Extra charges related to after-hours treatment or house-calls in non-emergency situations
- Injuries that were caused by your pet's behaviour problems like an anxiety disorder
- Ambulance rides or boarding expenses related to your pet's illness or injury
- Any illness or injury that happens when you use your pet commercially, such as using your pet for hunting, guarding or racing
- Injury or illness due to lack of care or that you or someone living with you deliberately inflicted on the pet
- Dental care except for the teeth cleaning benefit in the Tender Loving Care package
- Treatment for the following conditions: dislocated kneecap, elbow dysplasia, intervertebral disc disease, any widespread pandemic and any damage from worms, fleas, ticks and mites (other than paralysis ticks)
- Artificial limbs
- Pre-existing conditions other than the ones National Seniors has agreed to waive
- Any treatment that is a result of not vaccinating your pet
How do you make a claim?
To make a claim, gather all of your relevant paperwork including itemised invoices, clinical notes from all vets involved and a full veterinary history if it's your first claim.
Then call National Seniors on 1800 319 497. They will lodge your claim and if they accept it, they'll deposit your refund into your nominated bank account.