MiPet Insurance is a family company that launched in 2016, with a mission to provide personal and trustworthy service as well as provide support to animal welfare programs. Unlike some larger corporations which offer pet insurance as an addition to their core focus of insuring people, MiPet focuses exclusively on helping us look after our furry friends.
MiPet’s pet insurance offering is underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company and the administration of its claims and policies is managed by PetSure Australia. This means that despite the fact MiPet is a young brand, its cover options are backed by the experience of well-established companies that share a solid reputation.
MiPet is no longer offering Pet Insurance. However, the information on this page has been kept for the benefit of existing customers.
If you would like to compare pet insurance on Finder, click here.
What cover options does MiPet offer?
The three main types of policies offered by MiPet Insurance are Basic Cover, Vital Cover and Top Cover. You can also tailor individual plans to meet the needs of your pet. All three policies provide cover for illness as well as accident, but only Top Cover includes an optional allowance for routine care.
One major difference between the levels of cover is the maximum percentage of eligible vet bills that MiPet will cover. MiPet will reimburse you up to 70% of your vet bill with Basic Cover, up to 80% with Vital Cover and up to 85% with Top Cover. Another difference is the maximum benefit you can receive in a year. You can receive $5,000 with Basic Cover, $11,000 with Vital Cover and $12,000 with Top Cover. You can also get an optional $100 cover towards routine care with Top Cover.
All three policies cover chronic conditions, unless they were pre-existing before you purchased the cover. They also cover cruciate ligament damage, veterinary consultations and essential euthanasia. Overseas travel insurance for your pet is also included as long as you travel to a country that doesn’t require your pet to be quarantined after returning to Australia. You’re also eligible for reimbursement if you need to book emergency boarding for your pet as a result of being unable to look after your pet when you spend more than four days in hospital.
Finally, your pet is covered for life if you continuously renew your policy every year, but you cannot commence a Vital Cover or Top Cover policy for your furry friend after its ninth birthday.
|Basic Cover||Vital Cover||Top Cover|
|Maximum yearly benefit|
|Max % of eligible vet bills reimbursed|
(Pre-existing conditions are excluded)
|10% multi-pet discount|
|Paralysis tick benefit (yearly)|
|Cruciate Ligament Conditions benefit (yearly)|
|Essential euthanasia $ 500|
|Consultations and vet visits (yearly)|
|Emergency boarding fees when you're in hospital for more than four days (yearly)|
|Pet overseas travel insurance (as long as it's in a country that doesn't require your pet to be quarantined on return to Australia)|
|Optional Routine Care benefits toward cost of everyday care like vaccinations and teeth cleaning|
|No excess to pay|
|Guaranteed renewal for life of your pet|
|Your choice of any licensed vet|
What doesn’t MiPet cover?
- As with any pet insurance policy, there are a number of exclusions. In addition to the exclusions listed below, intervertebral disc disease and patella luxations are not covered under the Basic Cover policy:
- Ambulance fees and non-essential hospitalisation
- Behavioural and alternative therapies
- Canine hepatitis, parvovirus and kennel cough
- Chlamydia, Feline Leukaemia (FeLV), Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV), Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) and several other cat-specific infections
- Cosmetic procedures
- Deliberate injury or gross negligence towards your pet by yourself or by anyone living with you
- Dental care
- Elective procedures such as tail docking or declawing
- General day-to-day care, such as food, dietary advice, grooming and accessories
- Illnesses caused by parasites, except for paralysis ticks
- Injury or illness arising from your failure to keep your pet safe, for example, by not properly restraining it in a motor vehicle
- Organ transplants, artificial limbs and prosthetics (such as total hip replacement)
- Pre-existing and bilateral conditions
What are the benefits of choosing MiPet Insurance?
- No excess. MiPet does not charge an excess on any of its three levels of cover.
- Simple claims process. The MiPet website features a members’ portal to simplify the process of obtaining a quote and making a claim.
- Quick quote. MiPet estimates you can click through to a quote for your policy in as little as 60 seconds.
- Your choice of vet. You can choose your own vet with any of the 3 policies.
- $1000 annual paralysis tick benefit. All 3 policies include an annual benefit to help cover tick paralysis treatment.
- A portion of your premium supports a good cause. MiPet donates $10 from every policy sold to PAWS Pet Therapy. This organisation trains volunteers to provide pet-assisted therapy for people experiencing various mental and physical difficulties, ranging from developmental disabilities to cancer.