All you need to know about jetting off from Australia to Peru
You can fly to Peru from Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne in the space of about 24 hours. Lima is a city full of fascinating history, with an electric energy radiating through the neighbourhoods where you'll find beachfront views, shopping spots and authentic dining experiences. Put a trip to Machu Picchu on your must-do list. It's an adventure and photo opportunity you don't want to miss.
Here’s our guide to finding the right airline for your flight and how to get your bearings at Peru’s main airport – Jorge Chávez International – once you’ve landed.
What you can expect to pay for cheap flights to Peru
See what's considered to be a good deal compared to the average cost of a flight from Australia to Peru.
Flights to Peru from Sydney
Flights to Peru from Melbourne
Flights to Peru from Brisbane
Flights to Peru from Perth
Peru flight times
- From Sydney: Approximately 19 hrs 10 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Jorge Chávez International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 19 hrs+ direct to Jorge Chávez International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 23 hrs with two stopovers, landing at Jorge Chávez International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 26 hrs with two stopovers, landing at Jorge Chávez International Airport
Airlines that fly to Peru
- Air Canada
- British Airways
- Latam Airlines
- Peru's main international and domestic airport is Jorge Chávez International Airport. Located in Callao, it's roughly 12km from Peru's capital, Lima.
- If you have somewhere to be as soon as you land, it's important you leave enough time to get from Callao to Lima as the journey time can vary significantly due to traffic, especially during peak hours.
Taxis are available at the airport but it is imperative that you travel with a licensed company as unlicensed companies do not have a great reputation. The three licensed taxi companies are Taxi365, TaxiDirecto and Taxi Green. Alternatively, you can contact your hotel and ask if they are able to order a taxi to pick you up, but prices won't vary significantly.
Uber has been banned from the airport by local authorities. You may find that if you book a trip, it will be accepted but the driver will likely cancel the ride as they enter the airport as police check permits. It's best to avoid getting an Uber to your accommodation at all costs.
Another option is to pre-book an airport shuttle service through a company like Viator. If you want to take public transport, the Airport Express bus service departs from the airport 29 times a day and heads to Miraflores. One-way tickets cost US$8.