Avast supplies security software that protects users' devices from dangerous malware, ransomware, spyware, viruses and other online threats. Plans for individuals range from free antivirus downloads to comprehensive protection packages. Security services from Avast are supported by a host of additional services and downloads, including secure VPNs, password managers, file shredders and 24/7 technical support.
Pros and cons of Avast
- Offers four different antivirus plans
- Discounts available for two- or three-year plans
- Comes with 24/7 tech support
- Basic plan includes a password protector and Wi-Fi security
- Limited options for Mac and Android devices
- "Ultimate" package is only available for one device at a time
- Firewall is not included in the basic plan
- Virus scans can slow down system operations
Avast pricing and plan options
|Price for 1 device (AUD)||Free||$79.99/year||$89.99/year||$139.99/year|
|Protects against viruses, ransomware, malware, spyware and other threats||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Compatibility||PC, Mac, Android||PC, Mac||PC||PC|
|30-day free trial||Free||Yes||Yes||No|
Data obtained December 2018
This is a free download that offers protection from malware, ransomware and other viruses. It offers an added layer of password protection and scans your Wi-Fi connection to check for any weak spots. There is a paid version available for Mac systems and a free download for Android devices.
This plan offers an extra layer of ransomware protection, a junk email blocker and fake shopping site detection. You can purchase this plan for 1, 3, 5 or 10 computers at a time; adding extra devices lowers the cost per device.
This plan includes the same features as the Internet security plan, plus extra features including a file shredder, automatic app updating and webcam protection.
This plan is a bundle of the Premier plan and additional Avast packages including Avast SecureLine, Cleanup Premium and Passwords Premium. It is only available for PCs and can only be purchased for one device at a time.
Antivirus software identifies, blocks and wipes out dangerous online threats including viruses, malware, ransom, spyware and other corruptive software. Read our guide to antivirus software to learn more.
Additional Avast products
Avast SecureLine VPN
- Compatible with PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices
- Comes with a free seven-day trial for PCs
- Hides your online activity
- Offers protection on public and unsecured Wi-Fi networks
- Choose from server locations in over 30 countries
- Free download
- Is available for PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices
- Auto-fills account logins and payment details
Avast Passwords Premium
- Fingertip scanning when you access accounts on your phone
- Tells you when a website that has your information is vulnerable
Avast AntiTrack Premium
- Only available for PCs
- Notifies you when your online activity is being tracked
- Blocks targeted advertising
- Wipes your browsing activity automatically
Avast Secure Browser
- Free browser download available for Windows devices only
- Covers your digital footprint
- Offers private browsing
- Can download music and videos from streaming sites
Avast Cleanup Premium
- Offers a free trial for PCs
- Offers a Mac version with a 30-day money back guarantee
- Free download for Android devices
- Clears junk, unused programs and old cookies from your drive
- Cleans and maintains your operating systems
Avast Driver Update
- Only for PCs
- Offers a free trial
- Scans and updates drivers
- Drivers include printers, scanners, cameras, speakers, keyboards and Wi-Fi routers
Avast Total Care
- Three services are available
- Allows you to call a help centre to fix your issue on any device
- You can pay for a one-off call or sign up for a yearly subscription plan for unlimited calls for up to three devices
Avast business plans
Avast offers customisable business security options, suitable for businesses of any size. All business plans offer protection from malware, spyware, viruses and other threats. Business owners can pay per device and simply add more devices to the plan as the business grows.
Avast Business offers complete endpoint protection, which is security that safeguards everything connected to a business network, not just the devices in use. Management options include dedicated servers and cloud-based security portals, both of which can oversee a business's devices from one central location.
About Avast Software
Avast is a multinational cybersecurity company with over 430 million users worldwide. Founded in 1988, Avast has offices in 13 countries and is headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic.