Why protecting your children with Personal Accident Cover is something to think about
Accidents can occur at any time, in any place and can affect pretty much anyone, from teens and adults to the elderly and children. Sadly, accidents can happen anywhere: even exercising increased caution in everything we do does not necessarily mean that we will always be able to avoid accidents. One precaution that Australians might consider is taking out some form of insurance.
- Accidents happen. It’s impossible to predict the future and accidents can happen at any time, especially to some kids who seem to have a knack for getting into trouble. Whether they’re playing sport, at school or just running around in the backyard, there’s always the risk of your child suffering a serious injury.
- Peace of mind. Personal accident insurance for children gives you the confidence of knowing that you will be able to cope with the financial impact of a serious injury to your child. Instead of stressing about making ends meet, you will be able to do whatever is required to get your child back to full health.
- Financial support. The lump sum payment from a personal accident insurance policy can help you cover medical costs, rehabilitation expenses and home modification expenses, plus it also allows you to take time off work to care for your child.
Compare personal accident quotes from these direct brands
- What are the main benefits of accident insurance?
- What type of injuries could my child suffer?
- What are injuries can be covered by personal accident insurance?
- Lump sum benefit. If your child is injured in an accident, the policy pays a lump sum benefit to help you cope with the financial consequences of that injury.
- Cover for a wide range of expenses. Personal accident insurance for children doesn’t just cover initial medical expenses; the lump sum payment you receive can also be used to cover rehab costs, home modification expenses, legal fees and more.
- Accidental death cover. Personal accident policies also offer a benefit if your child dies as a result of the injuries they suffer in an accident.
- Covered on your policy. Some insurers allow you to take out accident insurance for children as an option on your own life insurance policy.
A 2009 report by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare revealed that the most common causes of childhood injuries (2006-2007) were:
- Road accidents, including running out into traffic
- Burns and scalds
Some of the common injuries covered by personal accident insurance for children include:
- Broken and fractured bones. The benefit payment you receive depends on the location and type of fracture.
- Burns. Most policies cover both second- and third-degree burns.
- Wounds. Check the fine print of your policy to determine what cover is available.
- Internal injuries. Check the fine print of your policy to determine which specific injuries are covered.
- Permanent disability. Your child will be covered for paraplegia, quadriplegia, loss of hearing or sight, loss of the use of limbs and more.
If your child suffers an injury while participating in school-related activities, either at school or while on an excursion or at a sporting event outside of school, it is not the school’s responsibility to provide cover. Government schools in Australia do not provide any form of personal accident insurance for students, nor have they ever done so.
The only situation where cover may be available is if your child suffers an injury as a result of the school’s negligence or wrongdoing. But if this isn’t the case, you’ll need to have your own personal accident insurance policy in place to provide the cover you need.
We all have to be more mindful about our spending in the current climate, so if you are considering taking out personal accident insurance cover for your children you need to take the time to shop around and find the most competitive deals, as otherwise you could end up paying over the odds for your cover. You should therefore compare personal accident insurance cover for children so you can find a plan that offers adequate levels of coverage at a price that fits in with your budget.
The easiest way to compare personal accident insurance cover for children is to go online, as you will find a good choice of plans and providers to select from and some very competitive deals.
What are the benefits of going online?
- Being able to compare personal accident insurance cover for children from the comfort and privacy of your own home
- Enjoying a great choice of providers and plans
- Being able to browse and compare plans and providers at your own pace and at a time that suits you
- Getting access to some very competitive plans, which makes it easier for find a suitable and affordable plan
When you compare personal accident insurance cover for children you need to make sure you look at some of the key areas in order to find a plan that is both suitable and affordable. Some of the areas you need to look at include:
- The cost of the insurance cover: The cost of personal accident insurance cover for children can vary from one plan and provider to another, so make sure you compare different plans to find one that comes with affordable premiums based on your budget
- The coverage levels and details: You need to compare the details of any personal accident insurance plans you are considering as you need to determine the levels of coverage offered and what exactly is covered
- The exclusions: You should also make sure you check the exclusions and restrictions so that you know exactly what is and is not covered by the plan you opt for