Peoplecare's four Extras cover options are easy to understand when you're after health insurance.
Offering cover all across Australia, not-for-profit fund Peoplecare focuses on simple policies to you can easily find what you need for your health, and offer some great member benefits too.
Top 3 features
- Good for simple, easy to understand policies
- Good for people who love their extras and want to get up to 80% back on covered treatments.
- Good for people in Wollongong, NSW who can access Peoplecare's dental centre.
What Peoplecare Extras Cover is available?
Peoplecare offer four Extras Only options.
- Simple Extras. This affordable option is suited to members who are young, healthy and fit. It covers general dental, physio, chiro and health management programs and pays 100% toward ambulance costs, 100% toward optical and 50% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- Mid Extras. For cover that is a little more comprehensive, Peoplecare Mid Extras covers general, dental, major dental, optical, physio, orthoptics, occupational therapy and more. It also offers cover for some medications. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 60% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- High Extras. This provides even more generous benefit limits than the above option and also adds cover for orthodontics, laser eye surgery, psychology, speech therapy, health aids, orthotics and hearing aids. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 70% toward most other covered services up to your benefit limits.
- Premium Extras. Offering the maximum level of extras cover available from Peoplecare, Premium Extras covers general dental, major dental, orthodontics, laser eye surgery, exercise physiology, speech therapy, health management programs, health aids and a whole lot more. It pays 100% toward ambulance expenses, 100% toward optical and 80% toward most other services up to your benefit limits.
|Simple Extras||Mid Extras||High Extras||Premium Extras|
|Laser eye surgery|
|Physiotherapy and other therapies|
|Chiropractic and osteopathic|
|Health management programs|
|Health aids and wellness|
Other benefits of Peoplecare Extras Cover
Peoplecare offers several perks for its members including:
- A referral program where you can earn a $100 gift card if you refer a friend
- Eyewear discounts through Peoplecare's network of eyeglass providers like OPSM and Laubman & Pank.
- Gap-free optical and dental benefits through partner providers.
Plus, if you're in Wollongong, NSW, you could get significantly better value for money by attending the Peoplecare dental centre.
And if you're looking for a combined cover package, Peoplecare offers a discount on extras cover when taken out alongside hospital cover.
How do the costs work?
Depending on the service, Peoplecare will either pay a set percentage of the service cost, or a standard amount. Make sure you check the details of your policy before you go to make a claim so you know how much you'll have to pay out of pocket.
Waiting periods and limitations
Waiting periods to apply for new members, though if you have served waiting periods with another health fund, they might be waived.
- 1 day: Ambulance cover
- 24 months: Laser eye surgery and hearing aids
- 12 months: High-cost dentistry and pre-/post- natal services (including midwifery)
- 6 months: Optical and health management programs
- 2 months: General dental, pharmacy, physio, chiro, podiatry, natural therapies and all other services not listed above
Annual limits are per financial year (1 July - 30 June).
How to make a claim
Peoplecare aims to make the process of lodging a claim as easy as possible. If you incur hospital costs, in most cases the hospital will send the bill straight to your health fund. Peoplecare will then take care of the cost for you.
When it comes to medical claims, doctors should again send any claim straight through to Peoplecare, but if they don't you will need to claim from Medicare first and Medicare will then forward your claim on to Peoplecare.
Finally, if you need to make an extras claim there are several options at your disposal:
- Electronic claiming. Swiping your Peoplecare membership card on the spot at most general treatment providers will see the benefits you are entitled to deducted from your bill.
- Use the Peoplecare app. Peoplecare's claims app is available from the Apple App Store and Google Play store.
- Claim online. Many extras claims can be lodged online through the Peoplecare website.
- Email. Complete a claim form, scan the form and your receipts and then email them back to your health fund.
- Post or fax. You can send your completed claim form and any receipts by mail or fax to Peoplecare.