Find out about the new way to manage your money here and overseas.
- Holding multiple currencies in one app
- Splitting bills
- Saving and setting savings goals
- Using as a transaction account
Not suited for
- Access via desktop (mobile only)
- Current access as the product is pre-beta
What to know about Pelikin
Pelikin is a technology company that plans to apply for a banking licence. It is about to launch its product, which is a debit card and transaction account designed to simplify travel for Australians. Pelikin has partnered with Tuxedo Money, which has an Australian Financial Services Licence, to provide the travel banking app and prepaid card. The Pelikin Visa Prepaid Card will be issued by Heritage Bank.
|Product Name||Pelikin Prepaid Card|
|Supported Currencies||AUD, USD, GBP, CAD, NZD, EUR, IDR|
|Licensing||Partnered with an institution that holds a licence|
What products does Pelikin offer?
As of November 2018, Pelikin has no products in the market, but it will offer a travel banking app and prepaid debit card into beta testing soon. Details of this are as follows:
Through the Pelikin app, you can sign up for an account in less than a minute and track all of your transactions. Pelikin will send you instant spending alerts to help you keep on track and provide you with analytics about your spending. You're able to hold up to seven currencies in your account which you can manage through the app: AUD, GBP, USD, EUR, NZD, IDR and CAD. The app also allows you to set savings goals that you can set with friends and attach to a goal. You can easily split bills with other Pelikin users within the app.
Pelikin Visa Debit card
The Pelikin card is a Visa card and can be used anywhere Visa is accepted worldwide. Information about fees isn't confirmed but Pelikin has said there will be zero international fees. If you need to lock your card for any reason, you can do so immediately in the Pelikin app.
What features does Pelikin offer?
There are a number of features that will be available from Pelikin, including:
- Low-cost spending. Pelikin is promising no transaction fees when you spend in Australia and abroad.
- Hold multiple currencies. You will be able to hold seven currencies in your Pelikin account: AUD, GBP, USD, EUR, NZD, IDR and CAD. More currencies will be added down the track.
- Simple bill splitting in multiple currencies. Pelikin will not have account numbers. Instead, you will receive a personalised @ handle so you can split bills with friends. You'll be able to split bills in any currency supported by the app.
- Spend tracking. See how you're tracking in the Pelikin app with real-time spend notifications and spend analytics.
- Support and security. You can instantly lock and unlock your card if you need to in the app as well as access 24/7 support.
Is Pelikin right for you?
- Low cost. Pelikin promises no account fees on spending in Australia or abroad.
- Hold multiple currencies. You can hold and split bills in seven currencies in the Pelikin app.
- Support and security. Help is available 24/7 in the app and you can also lock and unlock your card immediately should you need to.
- Spend tracking and insights. Receive immediate spending notifications and real-time analytics to gain insights to your money.
- Not available yet. The account is not available yet, but you can sign up to access it when it becomes available in beta.
- No attached savings account advertised. Full details on the savings account aren't available, but you may not be able to earn interest on the money you save in your Pelikin account.
Is Pelikin safe?
As of November 2018, Pelikin is not a bank but has plans to apply for a banking licence in the future. When it launches its product, it will do so by partnering with Tuxedo Money which holds an Australian Financial Services Licence. The Pelikin Visa Prepaid Card will be issued by Heritage Bank. Pelikin partnering with a licensed institution and having the card issued by a bank means your money is very protected.
In terms of security offered by Pelikin itself, you are able to lock and unlock your card from within the app should you need to. If you need assistance at any time you can access it 24/7 from within the app.
How to sign up for Pelikin
As of November 2018, Pelikin is not available but you can submit your email address on its website to sign up for the waitlist. If you join the waitlist, you will be able to choose your @ handle through which you will send and receive money with Pelikin. Once the beta version becomes available, you will be notified by Pelikin.