Pelikin travel card review
The Pelikin pre-paid travel card and app allows you to hold multiple currencies and easily split bills with friends.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
|Product Name||Pelikin Prepaid Card|
|Domestic ATM Fee||$0|
|Licensing||Partnered with an institution that holds a licence|
|Support||email, social media, in-app support|
- Holding multiple currencies in one app
- Splitting bills with friends
- Saving and setting travel savings goals
Not suited for
- Access via desktop (mobile only)
- Use as an everyday transaction account
What to know about Pelikin
Pelikin is a technology company that plans to apply for a banking licence. Its first product is a pre-paid debit card and app designed to simplify travel for Australians. Pelikin has partnered with Tuxedo Money, which has an Australian Financial Services Licence, to provide the travel banking app and prepaid card. The Pelikin Visa Prepaid Card will be issued by Heritage Bank.
What products does Pelikin offer?
Through the Pelikin app, you can sign up for an account in less than a minute and track all of your transactions. Pelikin will send you instant spending alerts to help you keep on track and provide you with analytics about your spending. You're able to hold up to 5 currencies in your account which you can manage through the app: AUD, GBP, USD, EUR, NZD. The app will soon allow you to set savings goals and track your progress, however this feature isn't available just yet. You can easily split bills with other Pelikin users within the app.
Pelikin Visa Debit card
The Pelikin card is a Visa card and can be used anywhere Visa is accepted worldwide. There are no ATM withdrawal fees in Australia if you're withdrawing more than $200. If you withdraw amounts less than this, a $3 fee applies. Full information about fees isn't confirmed but Pelikin has said there will be zero international fees. If you need to lock your card for any reason, you can do so immediately in the Pelikin app.
What features does Pelikin offer?
There are a number of features that will be available from Pelikin, including:
- Low-cost spending. Pelikin is promising no transaction fees when you spend in Australia and abroad.
- Hold multiple currencies. You will be able to hold seven currencies in your Pelikin account: AUD, GBP, USD, EUR and NZD. More currencies will be added down the track.
- Simple bill splitting in multiple currencies. Pelikin will not have account numbers. Instead, you will receive a personalised @ handle so you can split bills with friends. You'll be able to split bills in any currency supported by the app.
- Group tabs. If you're travelling in a group, this feature lets you manage group expenses (like booking accommodation and tours) and track who owes money to who.
- Spend tracking. See how you're tracking in the Pelikin app with real-time spend notifications and spend analytics.
- Support and security. You can instantly lock and unlock your card if you need to in the app as well as access 24/7 support.
Is Pelikin right for you?
- Low cost. Pelikin promises no account fees on spending in Australia or abroad.
- Hold multiple currencies. You can hold and split bills in seven currencies in the Pelikin app.
- Support and security. Help is available 24/7 in the app and you can also lock and unlock your card immediately should you need to.
- Spend tracking and insights. Receive immediate spending notifications and real-time analytics to gain insights to your money.
- Not a bank account. This is a prepaid card, so it can't act as a full bank account. You'll need to transfer money onto your Pelikin account from an existing Australian bank account.
Is Pelikin safe?
As of January 2019, Pelikin is not a bank but has plans to apply for a banking licence in the future. It has partnered with Tuxedo Money which holds an Australian Financial Services Licence. The Pelikin Visa Prepaid Card will be issued by Heritage Bank. Pelikin partnering with a licensed institution and having the card issued by a bank means your deposit up to $250,000 is protected under the Australian Government Guarantee Scheme.
In terms of security offered by Pelikin itself, you are able to lock and unlock your card from within the app should you need to. If you need assistance at any time you can access it 24/7 from within the app.
How to sign up for Pelikin
You can download the app from the App Store or Google Play and create an account for free. You must be an Australian resident, and you must be at least 18 years old.