PayPal Rewards Card
The PayPal Rewards Card offers uncapped points and no annual fee ever. But take note of the 20.99% interest rate.
Launched in July 2021, PayPal’s credit card currently offers a bonus 50,000 points when you apply by 28 October 2021 and spend $3,000 in the first 3 months from card approval. That’s enough to get $250 off your shopping at thousands of eligible PayPal businesses.
If you can pay off this card’s full balance by the due date on each statement, you’ll also get up to 55 days interest-free on purchases. Otherwise, a 20.99% p.a. purchase rate applies, which is higher than the average standard credit card interest rate in Australia.
Balance transfer rate
for 20 months
Per $ spent
|Product Name||PayPal Rewards Card|
|Rewards program||PayPal Rewards|
|Balance transfer rate||0% p.a. for 20 months|
|Balance transfer revert rate||Cash Advance Rate (21.74% p.a.)|
|Purchase rate||20.99% p.a.|
|Interest-free period||Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate||21.74% p.a.|
|Min credit limit||$4,000|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.4%|
|Available to temporary residents||No|
- 50,000 bonus points
- 0% p.a. on balance transfers for 20 months
- $0 annual fee for life
- 1 point per $1 spent, uncapped
- 2,000 points = $10 off at the PayPal Checkout with participating businesses
- Has a relatively high 20.99% p.a. interest rate for purchases
- Points can only be used for selected transactions through PayPal
- The 0% balance transfer rate reverts to 21.74% p.a.
- No interest-free days on purchases when you have a balance transfer
|Rewards program||PayPal Rewards|
|Rewards points per $ spent||1|
|Late payment fee||$30|
|Foreign currency conversion fee||3.4%|
|Cash advance fee||3.5% or $3.50, whichever is greater|
|Overseas cash advance fee||$5|
|Number of additional cardholders||4|
Amy Bradney-George has been writing about personal finance for more than 13 years – including over 600 articles as a senior writer for Finder. Her work has also appeared in publications including Money Magazine, The Sydney Morning Herald, Financy, ABC News Australia and Equity Magazine. Amy has a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Drama from Griffith University.
The PayPal Rewards Card gives you a way to earn 1 point per $1 spent on eligible transactions, with 2 types of cash rewards. If you choose “Pay with Rewards” at the PayPal Checkout, you can redeem 2,000 points for $10 off your shopping. This is on par with other shopping reward programs like Flybuys and Woolworths Rewards and is equivalent to 0.5% cashback (based on the rewards point earn rate).
You also have the option of using 2,000 points to get $7 off eligible purchases you’ve already made through your PayPal Rewards Card account, although the lower value means there is more incentive to Pay with Rewards at the checkout. Only a few other rewards cards offer a $0 annual fee for life, so this is a solid choice if you’re a regular shopper with PayPal and can pay off your card each month to avoid interest on purchases.
How to apply
You can apply for the PayPal Rewards Card online in around 10 minutes, and the card will be automatically added to your PayPal wallet if you're approved. As part of the process, you'll need to meet the following eligibility requirements and provide some key documents and details.
- Minimum income. You must earn more than $35,000 a year.
- Personal PayPal account. You need to log in to your PayPal account before you can apply for this card. If you don't have a personal account yet, you can set one up in a few minutes through the PayPal website.
- Australian residency status. You must be a permanent Australian resident. You also need to have an Australian mobile phone number and a valid email address.
- Age. You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Personal information. This includes your full name, date of birth and residential address, with proof of address such as a recent utility bill or a copy of your driver's licence. You also need to include proof of your Australian residency, such as a copy of your Australian passport or Medicare card.
- Employment details. You need to provide details of your employment status and income, with supporting documentation like a recent pay slip, bank statement or your most recent tax return.
- Financial details. As well as your income, you should include details of any other assets, such as shares or savings. Plus details of existing debts and liabilities, and regular essential expenses including rent or mortgage payments, groceries and utilities.
Once you have submitted your application, PayPal will send you an email with details of your application, including how to track it and how to add more supporting documentation (if it's needed).
- 50,000 bonus points. You'll get 50,000 bonus points when you apply for this card by 28 October 2021 and spend $3,000 or more on eligible transactions in the first 3 months from approval. Eligible transactions cover most everyday spending and purchases but excludes cash advances, balance transfers, special promotions and BPAY payments. It could take up to 8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement for points to be credited to your account.
- Rewards program. The PayPal Rewards Card earns 1 point per $1 on eligible transactions, with no points cap. You can use your points to pay for purchases with over 750,000 participating PayPal businesses, with every 2,000 points equal to $10 off at the PayPal Checkout. If you want to use your points on purchases you've already made, you can redeem 2,000 for $7 off eligible spending by logging in to your account and clicking on "My Rewards" in the PayPal Rewards Card section.
- $0 annual fee. This card never charges an annual fee, which is very competitive for a rewards card.
- Instalment plans. You can choose to pay off purchases or other eligible transactions at a fixed rate for a set amount of time, with three options available: Transaction Instalment Plans for new retail purchases, Statement Instalment Plans for purchases that have already been listed on a recent statement or Cash Instalment Plans if you want to withdraw cash. Just check the minimum amounts and instalment interest rate when you choose this option.
- 0% balance transfer offer. This card offers a 0% p.a. interest rate on balance transfers for 20 months when you apply by 28 October 2021 and request a balance transfer at the time of your application. At the end of the introductory period, any remaining balance attracts the cash advance rate, currently 21.74% p.a. You also won't be eligible for interest-free days on purchases while you're paying off a balance transfer debt.
Rates & fees
- Interest rate for purchases. The PayPal Rewards Card has a 20.99% p.a. interest rate for purchases.
- Interest-free days. The PayPal Rewards Card offers up to 55 days interest-free on purchases when you pay the full closing balance listed on your statement by the due date. Be aware that you won't get interest-free days when you have a balance transfer, or for any cash advance transactions.
- Cash advances. If you use this card to withdraw cash or make any other cash advance transactions, you'll be charged an interest rate of 21.74% p.a. You'll also pay a cash advance fee of $3.50 or 3.5% of the transaction value (whichever is greater) when you're in Australia. Overseas, a cash advance fee of $5 applies.
- International transaction fee. A fee of 3.4% applies for each transaction made online with a business based overseas, as well as when you're travelling overseas.
- Additional cardholders. If you want to share your account with a partner or family member, you can request up to 4 additional cardholders with a $0 additional cardholder fee.