Top up your car and your frequent flyer balance, or use points to pay for your spending at BP service stations.
The Velocity and BP partnership gives you a way to earn 2 Velocity Points per litre of fuel and 2 points per $1 spent in-store at participating BP service stations. You also have the option of using your Velocity Points to pay for your spending at BP, with a minimum of 1,667 points giving you $10 value.
If you’re new to Velocity or haven’t made use of this partnership yet, here you’ll find steps on how to earn and redeem your points at participating BP service stations – as well as the key offer details to keep in mind.
Things you'll find in this guide
How to earn Velocity Points at BP
With this option, you can earn 2 points per litre of fuel, up to 150 litres per transaction. You can also earn 2 points per $1 on eligible spending instore at BP.
To start earning points on your fuel and instore purchases at participating BP service stations in Australia, follow these steps:
- Fill up your car and pick up any items instore.
- Swipe your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership card at the checkout before you pay.
- Pay for your purchases.
The points will then be credited to your Velocity account within 72 hours of the purchase.
Tip: Earn more points by paying with a Velocity credit card
If you use a Velocity credit card at BP, you can earn points twice: once through this partnership and once through your card. Just make sure you swipe your Velocity membership card before you pay with your credit card so that you’re eligible to earn points in both ways.
Compare Velocity credit cards
How to pay with Velocity Points at BP
You also have the option of using points to pay for between $10 and $60 worth of spending each time you visit a participating BP service station. To activate this option, you need to set up a PIN by going to the security section of your Velocity account and clicking on “Change Velocity PIN”.
This opts you in to automatically redeem a minimum $10 value at BP when you have at least 1,667 points available. You can also choose to redeem a higher value – up to $60 for 10,000 points – by going to the Pay with Points In-Store section of the Velocity website. After that, you can follow the steps below to redeem points at BP:
- Fill up your car and pick up any items instore at participating BP service stations.
- Swipe your Velocity Frequent Flyer membership card at the checkout.
- Select the “Pay with Points” option.
Keep in mind that this option can only be used when your spending is worth the same amount or more than your instore redemption value. For example, if you had opted to redeem the maximum of $60 and only spent $50 in a transaction, you wouldn’t be able to pay with points.
Another point to be aware of: if you need to pay for the remainder of a purchase using an everyday credit card, debit card or cash, you’ll also be eligible to earn Velocity Points for the transaction.
Other important details
While it’s ideal to read the full terms and conditions for the Velocity and BP partnership, if you don’t have time right now, here’s a summary of the key details to keep in mind:
- Participating BP service stations. This offer is only available at participating BP service stations in Australia. You can use the Velocity and BP map to find the nearest participating service station, or ask at your local BP.
- Eligible purchases for points. You can earn points per litre of fuel at the pump, but won’t earn points on pre-packaged fuel products. Instore, you’ll earn points per $1 on most items you buy at BP. But excluded items include smoking/tobacco products and accessories, lottery tickets, prepaid mobile phone cards and gift cards.
- Payment methods. You’ll be able to earn Velocity Points when you pay with most credit cards, debit cards or cash. However, you won’t be eligible for points if you pay using a fuel card. This includes BP Plus Cards, Motor Pass Cards, Motor Charge Cards, Fleet Cards, Distributor / Reseller Fuel Cards and the On The Run App ("OTR App").
- No retro claims. If you forget to swipe your Velocity membership card or a temporary card at the time of your transaction, you won’t earn any points for your spending at a participating BP service station.
- Virtual Velocity cards. Even if you have set up a virtual membership card through the Velocity app, you’ll still need to swipe your physical membership card to earn points.
- Velocity Global Wallet. If you have a Velocity Global Wallet card, you can swipe the membership side to earn points at BP. You could also use it to pay for your purchases by preloading Australian dollars onto your Velocity Global Wallet account. You’d just need to swipe the membership side first, and then insert the card to make your payment.
- BP temporary cards. If you don’t have a Velocity membership card, or you forget it, you can earn points by picking up a BP temporary card at a participating service station. Note that these cards need to be linked to a new or current Velocity account within 30 days, and will expire 3 months after first use.
How to link a BP temporary card to your Velocity membership account
BP temporary cards must be linked to a Velocity account within 30 days of first use. Here’s how to do it:
- If you’re not currently a Velocity member: Enter the temporary BP card number when you join Velocity via the dedicated BP sign-up page. Note that Velocity is free to join and a permanent Velocity membership card should be sent to you within three weeks of joining. Until then, you can continue using the temporary BP card to earn points.
- If you’re an existing Velocity member: Log in to your Velocity account and go to the Link a BP temporary card page, then enter the details of your temporary card.
If you want to earn more points, or if the cost of fuel is hurting your bank balance, the Velocity-BP partnership gives you a way to get more benefits from being a frequent flyer member. Just make sure you keep your physical membership card on you and swipe it before you pay at a participating BP service station, so that you can earn or use your points.
Image: ShutterstockBack to top