Best overwater bungalows in Malaysia
Make your Malaysian trip that little more special by booking a stay in one of these top overwater bungalows.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Malaysia is fast becoming one of the top places for a luxurious overwater stay.
Whether you are here for a romantic getaway, scuba diving or simply a well-deserved break, you are sure to find something here.
Let's get dreaming.
Lexis Hibiscus Port Dickson, Si Rusa from Finder Hotels
Fanning out over the turquoise waters of the Strait of Malacca are the overwater bungalows of Lexis Hibiscus. They're reminiscent of Dubai’s Palm Islands and are just as luxurious. A stay here comes with complimentary sweeping ocean views and marine life darting beneath your feet. The rooms are also spacious, which makes them perfect for bigger travel parties.
- 5-star hotel
- Spacious rooms over 800 square feet with private dip pool and steam room
- 552 water bungalows directly over the Strait of Malacca with glass panel floors to watch the fish swim by
- Floor-to-ceiling glass doors provide unrestricted views of the beautiful scenery outside
- Bicycles for rent
Avani Goldcoast Sepang Goldcoast Resort, Bagan Lalang from Finder Hotels
For travellers who love a little privacy yet still want accessibility to the city, Avani Goldcoast is the answer. This tropical oasis is located in the heart of the city of Bagan Lalang and is a treat for the whole family, with plenty of kids' facilities such as a kids' club and child pool, as well as adult luxuries such as a spa and wellness centre.
- 5-star resort
- Features an infinity pool, in-house spa
- 315 Polynesian-inspired overwater bungalows on a private stretch of beach
- Tours to the nearby elephant sanctuary and mangroves can be arranged
- All-inclusive, kid-friendly resort and only a 40-minute drive from the airport and city centre
Gayana Marine Resort, Kota Kinabalu from Finder Hotels
Surrounded by the aquamarine sea, mangrove forest and majestic views of Kota Kinabalu, Gayana Marine Resort is perfect for an indulgent stay. Both ocean and palm villas feature private balconies that let you dip straight into the sea – but for a real treat, make yours a palm villa. It has a glass-bottom floor and a private plunge pool on your deck.
- 5-star resort
- Boasts a diving centre, in-house spa and fitness classes as well as a limousine transfer service upon request
- Guests can participate in marine conservation programs such as coral replanting or getting up close to bamboo sharks
Pom Pom Island Resort, Pom Pom from Finder Hotels
Hop on a 45-minute boat ride off the coast of Borneo to a paradise of white-sand beaches and turquoise waters. Opt for the water bungalow when you stay in Pom Pom Island Resort and keep your eyes peeled for green and hawksbill turtles as they swim around your bungalow.
- 4-star resort
- Traditional wooden villas on a private beach, on-site spa and dive centre
- Water villas offer a panoramic view of the sea from the sundeck and an open concept bathroom
- On-site turtle conservation area where guests can watch turtles hatching as well as their release into the sea
Berjaya Langkawi Resort, Kampung Kok from Finder Hotels
Set on the edge of lush tropical rainforest and perched just over the open ocean, Berjaya Langkawi Resort lets you enjoy not one but two stunning views. Chalets and suites sit on stilts on the water, although you can keep things a little more affordable by staying on land in a rainforest chalet or studio. There's no direct access to the water from the villas, but select suites offer panoramic vistas and jacuzzis on deck.
- 5-star resort
- Traditional Malay-style chalets, four restaurants and three bars
- 47 overwater bungalows on a stretch of private beach
- Snorkelling and other water-based activities are available
- Resort is within walking distance to the Langkawi Cable Car and Oriental Village
Still looking for the right room? Browse for more here:
More guides on Finder
10 romantic getaways in the Northern Territory
Your secluded escape awaits with some of the Northern Territory's most picturesque stays that were made for couples.
Best places to travel in February
5 holiday destinations that should to spend a few days to a week in this February.
Best Maldives overwater bungalows
Treat yourself to the ultimate Maldives holiday by booking into a resort with over-the-water villas.
Best overwater bungalows in Bora Bora
Make that dream romantic getaway in an overwater bungalow a reality when you book one of these Bora Bora beauties.
Best overwater bungalows in Thailand
Our picks of the best overwater stays in the Land of Smiles from budget-friendly to luxurious.
Best overwater bungalows in Cook Islands
Unsure of where to stay on your Cook Islands holiday? Our guide to the best overwater bungalows and waterfront villas will make sure that the only thing you have to worry about is which bikini to bring.
Best Overwater Bungalows in Vanuatu
Live the life in Vanuatu without the hefty price-tag by making your stay in one of these luxurious overwater bungalows. Prices start from just $122 per night.
Bali vs the Maldives
We compare Bali and the Maldives on budget, accommodation options, type of traveller, nightlife and more, so you can decide which to holiday in.
10 best places to visit in Queensland in 2021
Discover all the places you won’t want to miss when you visit the Sunshine State.
Top spots for destination weddings in Australia and around the world
The hottest destination weddings spots in Australia and around the world to say "I do."
Ask an Expert