Freestanding oven buying guide: How to find the best oven for you
We'll help you compare ovens to find the perfect appliance for your kitchen.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Key facts about freestanding oven:
- A freestanding oven combines your oven and cooktop into one appliance, allowing you to find a cooker that matches your kitchen space and your desired cooking capacity.
- Traditionally cheaper to buy and install than a built-in oven, freestanding ovens are available in a wide range of sizes and designs.
- Prices typically range from $500 to $10,000.
Compare some of the best freestanding ovens
What is a freestanding oven?
Also known as an upright oven or upright cooker, a freestanding oven is an all-in-one appliance with a cooktop on top and the oven underneath. If you don't have cabinetry where you can mount your oven or enough bench space for a cooktop, a freestanding oven offers a practical solution.
Why should I consider a freestanding oven?
A freestanding oven can offer a few key advantages to the right kitchen and the right home cook. Freestanding ovens are the following:
Who should not consider a freestanding oven?
If you prefer the sleek, streamlined look of an inbuilt oven and cooktop, a freestanding oven may not be the best choice for you. Also, you can install a wall oven at a height that suits you, so you don't need to worry about bending and squatting to open a freestanding oven. A wall oven also gives you plenty of flexibility when choosing the layout of your kitchen.
Cleaning your kitchen can be more of a hassle with a freestanding oven. The gaps between your cooker and your benchtop can attract dropped food that's difficult to get to without moving the entire oven.
What types are available?
There are several types of freestanding oven available:
- Electric freestanding ovens. These feature an electric oven and an electric cooktop. The advantage of an electric oven is that it provides an even, dry heat, while the cooktop should be relatively easy to clean. However, it's more expensive to use than an all-gas model and can't match the performance of a gas or induction stove.
- Gas freestanding ovens. A gas oven provides moist heat that shouldn't dry out your food and also provides the fast and powerful heating of a gas cooktop. However, cleaning a gas cooktop can be hard work, and freestanding cookers with electric ovens are much more widely available than those with gas ovens.
- Dual-fuel freestanding ovens. These models combine an electric oven and a gas cooktop together into one appliance, offering the best of both worlds. The downside is that you'll need both gas and electrical connections and installation can be a little more involved. Dual-fuel models are also known to be quite expensive, but some more affordable options have started to become available in recent years.
- Induction freestanding ovens. If you like the convenience and improved performance of an induction cooktop, some high-end models offer this option along with an electric oven. Induction cooktops rely on electromagnetic fields to heat pots and pans and are faster and safer to use. However, they only work with specific types of cookware and usually come with a higher price tag. Find out more in our guide to choosing an induction cooktop.
How to compare freestanding ovens
Freestanding ovens come in a variety of shapes and sizes and with an overwhelming number of features. You can pick up a basic and fully functional freestanding cooker for around $500. Most dual-fuel models will be $1,000 and up and top-spec models can exceed $10,000.
Here are the key factors you need to consider when purchasing a freestanding oven:
Which freestanding oven is best for me?
The best freestanding oven for you depends on your personal preferences, the size of your kitchen and your budget.
Think about the type of home cook you are. If you're an aspiring MasterChef contestant who is always tackling new and challenging dishes, you'll likely choose a very different freestanding oven to someone who simply needs something affordable and practical to fit into a small kitchen.
Once you know exactly what you want for your kitchen, you can then start comparing the available options. To help make this easier, we've compared the pros and cons of five popular freestanding ovens below:
|The good||The bad|
Getting the right oven and cooktop for your home will improve your cooking and turn your kitchen into a practical and inviting space.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,250 off electric bikes, $70 off Nintendo Switch, $30 off Logitech G PRO X Lightspeed headsets.
Oven and Cooktop Cleaner Finder
What you need to know to compare and choose an oven and cooktop cleaner for your kitchen.
Best frying pans in Australia
Get ready to sizzle with the best frying pans you can buy right now.
Best air fryers in Australia for 2021
Looking for a healthier and quicker way to cook? We've analysed hundreds of customer reviews to bring you the best air fryers for a variety of purposes.
Best toasters in Australia
If you’re shopping for a new toaster, check out our guide to the best toasters in Australia before you buy.
Portable 12V air compressor buying guide: How to find the best air compressor
Your guide to finding the best portable 12V air compressor to adjust car tyre pressure and inflate balls, toys, bicycle tyres and more.
Best heaters in Australia 2021
We’ve found the 9 best gas and electric heaters in a range of categories to help you stay warm this winter.
Best slow cookers in Australia
We’ve tracked down the best slow cookers in Australia so you can whip up delicious dishes for the whole family.
FULL LIST: The homewares brands we’ll see on Amazon Australia
Love homewares? Well here are the home and decor brands you'll be able to shop on Amazon Australia (so far!)
The best BBQs in Australia
These are the six best gas, electric and charcoal barbecues you can get right now.
Ask an Expert