Origin NBN free for 2 months: Is it worth signing up to?
Existing Origin Energy customers can enjoy $10 a month off their plan fees once the 2 months are up.
Origin is offering 2 months' worth of free Internet to anyone who acts fast and signs up to a new NBN plan by 7 March.
This "Mega March" deal applies to all of Origin's NBN plans. Here's what you can get and how much you'll save with 2 months for free:
- Everyday NBN25: Save $148 in the first 2 months, then $74 per month
- Experience NBN50: Save $168 in the first 2 months, then $84 per month
- Enthusiast NBN100/20: Save $208 in the first 2 months, then $104 per month
- Super fast NBN250: Save $268 in the first 2 months, then $134 per month
- Ultra fast NBN1000: Save $308 in the first 2 months, then $154 per month
All plans come with unlimited data and the choice to BYO modem. Existing Origin Energy customers also get $10 off per month on their plan fees.
What else do you get with Origin NBN?
In addition to the 2 months of free Internet, you'll get the following when you sign up with Origin:
- Next-day connection. Book your plan before 1pm and you'll be connected the next day. If you're not connected by said time, Origin may cover your Internet expenses up to $100 a day till you get connected.
- Bundling discount. If you also have an Origin energy account, you'll get $10 a month knocked off your plan price.
- Home phone line. You can get a home phone line with unlimited local and national calls for an extra $10 a month (this cost isn't included in the 2 months free Internet deal).
How do you redeem Origin's free Internet offer?
It's easy enough to grab this offer. Simply follow the steps to sign up to an NBN plan from Origin and the offer will be applied.
There are no extra conditions for claiming this offer.
As long as you sign up to a new Origin Broadband plan by 11:59pm on 7 March, you'll automatically get 2 months free.
Is this Origin deal worth it?
If you're looking for an Internet deal that acts like a free trial, sure. If you BYO modem to Origin, it really means you're not spending a dime for the first 2 months.
But consider whether you're happy to pay Origin's ongoing prices from the third month onwards.
For those who aren't with Origin Energy
If you don't have an energy account with Origin and can't get Origin's extra $10 off deal for bundling your services, you'll be paying about $10 above the Finder average for Origin's Internet plans compared to other NBN providers.
Origin doesn't have any fancy extras or other benefits that make its plans stand out, such as faster speeds and extra customer support.
The good thing is there's no lock-in contract so you could switch providers if you're not satisfied.
For existing Origin Energy customers
If you're an existing Origin Energy customer, things might be slightly different. With the additional $10 off for bundling your energy and Internet services, the monthly price of an Origin NBN plan drops to being on par with average prices on Finder.
You may also find it convenient to have 1 provider looking after 2 of your utilities.