OptusPay: How does it work?
OptusPay is similar to Optus's old payment plan system, just with a different name.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
While it may sound like a new and fancy feature, OptusPay provides the same function that Optus has offered for years: the ability to pair a device with a mobile plan and pay it off over time, instead of all at once.
How does it work?
OptusPay is very straightforward.
- Choose a device. You can pick any phone, tablet or smartwatch in the Optus store.
- Pick a repayment period. You will have a choice of 12, 24 or 36 months.
- Add a SIM-only plan. Choose any of Optus's postpaid SIM-only plans to pair with your device.
- Pay it off in instalments. Your monthly bill will be the monthly instalment for your device plus the price of your chosen mobile plan. These repayments don't carry interest.
You're limited to only one device per new Optus plan.
What if I want to cancel my plan early?
You can cancel your contract at any time and keep the device. However, you will have to pay off the full remaining value of the device (the monthly device instalment multiplied by the months remaining on your contract).
Alternatively, you can switch the Optus SIM-only plan that you're on once per month without breaking your contract. The price of your mobile plan may change, but your device instalments won't.
How much will I end up paying with OptusPay?
Your payments with OptusPay are the sum of two things:
- Device repayments. The total amount you pay in device instalments over the life of your contract will always add up to the RRP of the device. The individual repayments will be smaller the longer your contract period is.
- Mobile plan cost. This is the monthly price of your mobile plan.
Since the device cost is fixed, the plan you're on and the length of your contract will largely determine how much you end up paying. If you're interested in paying less overall, go for a cheaper plan or a shorter contract length. If you're interested in paying less every month, go for a cheaper plan or a longer contract length.
What devices are available with OptusPay?
You can purchase any device in the Optus store with OptusPay. This includes:
- Mobiles. Including the latest Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Oppo and Google models.
- Tablets. Choose from recent iPads or Galaxy Tabs.
- Smartwatches. You can get both Apple and Samsung smartwatches.
What do I get on an Optus mobile plan?
The exact inclusions will depend on the plan, but Optus's SIM-only plans provide:
- Between 10GB and 500GB of monthly data
- No excess data charges (keep browsing at 1.5Mbps)
- Data sharing across plans on the same account
- Potential 5G access on all plans
- Some international inclusions
- Free Optus Sport subscription
How many devices can I get with OptusPay?
More guides on Finder
Optus OPPO plans
Enjoy “unlimited” data on the latest OPPO phones from Optus.
How to build an emergency savings fund
Four steps to creating an emergency savings fund and how much money you should aim to keep in it.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus: Features | Specifications | Pricing
Samsung’s mid-range 2021 flagship phone combines some serious camera zoom and a powerful processor.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra: Features | Specifications | Pricing
Samsung’s new flagship Galaxy S phone combines impressive telephoto muscle and a few tricks borrowed from the Samsung Galaxy Note line.
How to watch ESPN’s 30 for 30 online and free in Australia
Find out how to enjoy some of the best sports documentaries around on ESPN's acclaimed 30 for 30 series.
How to start a financial auditing business
Love working with numbers and helping businesses? Here’s how to start a financial auditing firm.
How does Optus’s “unlimited” data stack up against Telstra and Vodafone?
Optus is finally offering “unlimited” data on its SIM-only plans, but how does it compare to “unlimited” data from Telstra & Vodafone?
Vodafone iPhone plans
Vodafone has some great deals if you're looking for an affordable way to own a new iPhone, with no excess data charges involved.
Compare every iPhone 12 Pro Max plan in Australia
Find the best mobile plan deals for the biggest iPhone ever - the iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Compare every iPhone 12 mini plan in Australia
The iPhone 12 mini is now available for pre-order from the major providers, but how does it compare to the budget iPhone SE?
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Get no excess data charges on these unlimited data mobile plans.
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.
Ask an Expert