OptusPay: How does it work?
OptusPay is similar to Optus's old payment plan system, just with a different name.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
While it may sound like a new and fancy feature, OptusPay provides the same function that Optus has offered for years: the ability to pair a device with a mobile plan and pay it off over time, instead of all at once.
How does it work?
OptusPay is very straightforward.
- Choose a device. You can pick any phone, tablet or smartwatch in the Optus store.
- Pick a repayment period. You will have a choice of 12, 24 or 36 months.
- Add a SIM-only plan. Choose any of Optus's postpaid SIM-only plans to pair with your device.
- Pay it off in instalments. Your monthly bill will be the monthly instalment for your device plus the price of your chosen mobile plan. These repayments don't carry interest.
You're limited to only one device per new Optus plan.
What if I want to cancel my plan early?
You can cancel your contract at any time and keep the device. However, you will have to pay off the full remaining value of the device (the monthly device instalment multiplied by the months remaining on your contract).
Alternatively, you can switch the Optus SIM-only plan that you're on once per month without breaking your contract. The price of your mobile plan may change, but your device instalments won't.
How much will I end up paying with OptusPay?
Your payments with OptusPay are the sum of two things:
- Device repayments. The total amount you pay in device instalments over the life of your contract will always add up to the RRP of the device. The individual repayments will be smaller the longer your contract period is.
- Mobile plan cost. This is the monthly price of your mobile plan.
Since the device cost is fixed, the plan you're on and the length of your contract will largely determine how much you end up paying. If you're interested in paying less overall, go for a cheaper plan or a shorter contract length. If you're interested in paying less every month, go for a cheaper plan or a longer contract length.
What devices are available with OptusPay?
You can purchase any device in the Optus store with OptusPay. This includes:
- Mobiles. Including the latest Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Oppo and Google models.
- Tablets. Choose from recent iPads or Galaxy Tabs.
- Smartwatches. You can get both Apple and Samsung smartwatches.
What do I get on an Optus mobile plan?
The exact inclusions will depend on the plan, but Optus's SIM-only plans provide:
- Between 10GB and 500GB of monthly data
- No excess data charges (keep browsing at 1.5Mbps)
- Data sharing across plans on the same account
- Potential 5G access on all plans
- Some international inclusions
- Free Optus Sport subscription
How many devices can I get with OptusPay?
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 53% off Samsung Galaxy Buds+, 60% off sports and fitness equipment, win $10,000 with Optus.
RelayPay cryptocurrency card and app
FInd out about how RelayPay works, what cryptos and fiat currencies it supports, the fees for using it and safety information.
How to buy The Honest Company (HNST) shares from Australia
Here's everything we know so far about The Honest Company IPO and how to buy in from Australia.
How to buy Marqeta stock from Australia when it goes public
Here's everything we know so far about the Marqeta IPO and how to buy in from Australia.
Best SSDs in Australia
Speed up your system with one of the best SSDs you can buy right now in Australia.
Pay as you go mobile plans
Pay as you go mobile plans are a great way to save money if you don't use your phone very often.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G Review: Android flagship brilliance
If you can stand the price point, there’s an awful lot to like about Samsung’s highest tier Galaxy S21 handset.
Optus OPPO plans
Enjoy “unlimited” data on the latest OPPO phones from Optus.
Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus: Features | Specifications | Pricing
Samsung’s mid-range 2021 flagship phone combines some serious camera zoom and a powerful processor.
Latest mobile plan deals on Finder
Get no excess data charges on these unlimited data mobile plans.
Avoid bill shock and control your spending with the best-value offers.
Ask an Expert