Optus Xtra lets prepaid users trade ads for data
Turn your phone into an ad billboard, earn free data.
Optus prepaid customers with Android phones who don’t want to buy additional data packs now have a new options to add data to their account via Optus Xtra. Optus Xtra is an app that installs and then displays advertising on your phone’s lock screen.
In return for turning your phone into a mobile billboard, Optus will give customers 1GB of bonus data on eligible plans. On Optus’ daily prepaid plans, you'll an additional $2 credit.
The advertising will be served by Optus’ own inhouse advertising company, Amobee. You can customise the ads you receive to a relative degree by picking the areas that interest you from beauty, employment, fashion, government and politics, health, money, technology and travel.
In order to qualify for the free data you’ve got to run the Optus Xtra app for a full 28 days, and you’ve got to be using an Android handset capable of running Xtra in the first place. There’s no sign of an iPhone app at this stage, which is no particular surprise as Apple is remarkably reluctant to allow developers access to the lock screen of iOS devices. You could presumably always run the app on an Android device for 28 days and then swap it into an iPhone to enjoy your additional data, however.
- Home buyers with low deposits can save thousands in LMI premiums with these lenders
- Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
- Vodafone’s new Infinite data SIM plans have speeds that rival the NBN’s
- Changes to Victorian face mask ruling: Fitted masks now required
- adidas Yeezy Boost 350 v2 “Carbon”: Aussie release details here
Follow us for all the latest mobile phone news and deals