With a 5.5-inch HD screen and an 8MP camera, the Optus X Smart delivers plenty of modern smartphone features at a very agreeable price.
Phones come in all shapes and sizes these days, from the bleeding-edge extravagance of the latest iPhones to the bare bones simplicity of retro-styled feature phones like the Nokia 8110 4G. Both ends of the spectrum serve wildly different audiences, but neither adequately caters to the smartphone buyer looking for a handset capable enough to keep pace with the modern online world yet affordable enough to be purchased outright rather than requiring commitment to a lock-in contract.
That's why phones like the Optus X Smart exist. Equipped with a large touch screen, a capable camera and 4G connectivity, it covers all the basic functions expected of a modern smartphone while sporting an accessible budget price tag. If you don't need lightning fast performance or flashy features like wireless charging and NFC, the Optus X Smart might be just the handset you've been looking for.
- 5.5-inch screen is impressively large for a budget smartphone.
- Headphone jack and decent storage capacity make it a capable portable entertainment device.
- 8MP rear camera should satisfy most basic photo needs.
- Beauty mode and panorama support provide additional flexibility.
- Enough power for basic day-to-day phone tasks.
- Slowdown is likely if you push it too hard.
- 2,500mAh battery can deliver up to 15 hours of talk time and 500 hours on standby, according to Optus.
Pricing and availability
Optus X Smart
A simple smartphone at a wallet-friendly price
Enjoy the benefits of a modern smartphone without the hefty price tag by picking up the Optus X Smart today.
- You can find the Optus X Smart currently selling for around $99 from retailers like Woolworths, Kmart and Big W.
Optus X Smart specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5.5 inches|
|Rear camera megapixels||8MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/2.0|
|Front camera megapixels||5MP|
|Front camera aperture size||N/A|
|Dimensions||151mm x 77mm x 8mm|
|Network category speed||N/A|
|Operating system||Android 6|
|External storage support||Up to 128GB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Optus X Smart
Latest Optus news
Samsung's Galaxy Note10+ 5G will be Optus' first 5G handset, but only with very limited coverage areas. Read more…
The Galaxy Note10 marks Optus' first foray into 5G, and you can compare all Optus' plans right here. Read more…
Australia presents unique challenges to 5G networks, so we asked the people spearheading the 5G rollout how they plan on overcoming these obstacles. Read more…