Optus Pay rebrands and adds smart cup
Would you want to pay for your cup of coffee... with your water bottle?
Fresh off winning the award for Best Mobile Payment service at the first finder Innovation awards, Optus has continued to innovate in the payments space, albeit not in a way that you might have expected. It has rebranded its Cash By Optus service simply as Optus Pay, and launched a new payment accessory.
Optus Pay has expanded its range of compatible accessories beyond simple pay tags and wristbands with the introduction of an Optus Pay-compatible Smart Cup.
That’s not cup in the cricket sense, just in case you were worried, but an actual cup for drinking with NFC capability built into the base. Optus Pay uses Visa’s PayWave technology to handle payments, and has a number of NFC-enabled solutions that give it very wide compatibility across devices, including Apple’s otherwise locked-down iPhone devices that are currently the subject of a bitter dispute between Apple and the major banks, excluding ANZ.
Unlike Optus Pay’s other accessories, however, the Smart Cup isn’t free. It’s sold through Frank Green in three sizes: $32.95 for an 8oz version, or $34.95 for either a 12Oz Smart Cup or larger Smart Bottle option.
- Sony’s new Xperia XZ2 and XZ2 Compact are now on sale here in Australia
- Different red flags appear as cryptocurrency scammers get savvier
- Australians are spending $22,601 on their wedding
- Dash partners with Rewards.com to promote cryptocurrency adoption
- Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition review: Polished to a Mirror Shield shine