If you're looking for an affordable iPhone alternative, the Oppo R17 has you sorted.
Fans of the Apple school of design don't have it cheap. The sleek and simple design of the iPhone comes at a steep premium compared to similar smartphones from the Android side of the market, and Apple seems fiercely reluctant to tarnish its brand by selling lower-cost iPhone handsets that sacrifice a few high-end features for the sake of affordability.
This is where Chinese electronics brand Oppo comes in. The company has made a name for itself by applying Apple's design ethos to Android smartphones, producing stylish handsets that sport many of the iPhone's key features without the astronomical price tag.
Latest in this line of iPhone alternatives is the Oppo R17, a handset with its sights set firmly on the Apple iPhone XR. While it's not quite as powerful or feature-packed as its Apple counterpart, the R17 is a formidable high-end smartphone that delivers an iPhone-like experience at a price that won't leave your bank account as dry as the Sahara.
- Edge-to-edge screen provides plenty of real estate for videos and games.
- ColorOS remains as close to iOS on Android as you're going to get.
- 25MP front-facing camera allows for seriously sharp selfies.
- Beauty Mode makes it easy to tweak and touch-up photos on the fly.
- Snapdragon 670 delivers a smart balance of power and price.
- 6GB of RAM is plenty for gaming and multi-tasking.
- 3,500mAh battery should survive a full day even under heavy use.
- VOOC flash charging is both swift and safe.
Pricing and availability
The affordable iPhone alternative
By making smart trade-offs, the Oppo R17 delivers Apple appeal at a price the average person can actually afford.
- The Oppo R17 is available from The Good Guys, JB Hi-Fi and Officeworks, as well as on contract through Vodafone.
|Display size (inches)||6.4|
|Display resolution (pixels)||720 x 1520|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||263|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,500|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||16|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.7|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||5|
|Rear camera (2) aperture||f/2.4|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||25|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||N/A|
Latest Oppo news
Oppo's flagship remains the Oppo Find X, but the Oppo R17 Pro offers better value for money if you're after a premium phone experience on a budget. Read more…
Packing a dual-lens camera, a 6.2-inch notched display and an enormous 4,230mAh battery, the Oppo A3s sets a new bar for what to expect from a budget smartphone. Read more…
The Oppo Find X features innovative design and excellent battery life, but it's a weird mix of some very good features and some annoying omissions. Read more…