The Oppo R11s delivers what Oppo does best, namely a solid mid-range offering with a few features that peek into the premium space. It's still a shameless iPhone clone that lacks NFC, but for general users it's an easy recommendation.
- Good 18:9 display
- Dual f/1.7 cameras deliver good mid-range performance
- ColorOS is an invasive, inconsistent mess
- Still no NFC onboard
- Prominent camera bump
Oppo's R11s tweaks around the edges of the existing R11 design with mostly pleasing results.
When Oppo announced the Oppo R11 in the middle of 2017, it was (as many of Oppo's phones tend to be) more or less an Android clone of the iPhone experience, predominantly tailored for the Chinese market where Oppo has had considerable success with that precise model.
It was also one of the first mid-range phones to offer dual camera compatibility, matching up a 2x optical lens with a standard lens to allow for both photographic flexibility and a match to the iPhone's "Portrait" mode.
The Oppo R11s is all that and just a little bit more, with tweaked camera optics and a more visually impressive 18:9 display that takes up the majority of the front display.
- Striking 6.01-inch 18:9 display
- Still no NFC support
- Larger f/1.7-aperture lenses provide better performance in low-light conditions
- Front and rear cameras are solid performers capable of taking quality photos
- Impressive mid-range power that can handle most anything you throw at it
- ColorOS won't be to everyone's liking
- Easily delivers all-day battery even under heavy use
- Support fast-charging, but only via Oppo's proprietary charger
- A refined version of the Oppo R11 that stands tall among 2018's mid-range smartphones
Pricing and availability
The already impressive Oppo R11 gets even better
Oppo has sanded off the rough edges of the R11 to deliver an excellent mid-range alternative to Apple's iPhone.
- The Oppo R11s retails for $659 but is available for around $500 from online retailers like Catch and Mobile Citi.
Oppo R11s specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||6 inches|
|Resolution||1080 x 2160|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||401|
|Rear camera megapixels||16MP + 20MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/1.7|
|Front camera megapixels||20MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/2.0|
|Dimensions||155.1mm x 75.5mm x 7.1mm|
|Network category speed||N/A|
|Operating system||Android 7|
|External storage support||Up to 256GB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Oppo R11s
Latest Oppo news
The Oppo Reno 5G provides great application performance and amazing battery life. Read more…
5G phones are fast, but how well do they take photos in low-light situations? Read more…
The Oppo Reno 10x Zoom has an exceptional camera, high-end processor and plenty of screen space thanks to its pop-up camera. Read more…