With its all-encompassing 6-inch screen, 16MP selfie camera and iOS-inspired interface, the Oppo A73 is a capable and affordable Android alternative to Apple's iPhone X.
For as much as Apple wants every man, woman and child on the planet to own an iPhone, it doesn't exactly make this easy. iPhones are among the most expensive smartphones on the market, and even older models continue to sell at a steep premium compared to their Android contemporaries. Given how much Apple plays up the accessibility and user-friendliness of its hardware and software, this is an unfortunate and often frustrating contradiction that leaves many people unable to enjoy the streamlined nature of iOS.
Chinese electronics company Oppo saw this dilemma as an opportunity for a new type of smartphone, one that channels the design tenets of Apple while maintaining the affordability of a budget Android handset. This is the philosophy driving the Oppo A73. Taking more than a few cues from the look and feel of the iPhone X, the A73 gives budget-conscious phone buyers a way of enjoying an iPhone-like experience at a fraction of the price Apple charges for the real thing.
- Follows a very similar visual design to the iPhone X, minus the notch
- ColorOS is about as close as you're going to get to iOS on Android
- A power-packed front camera enables higher-resolution selfies
- Beauty mode promises to leverage the power of AI to accentuate your best features
- Capable hardware for a mid-range smartphone
- It's not the iPhone X, but should still be powerful enough for most people
- Pairing a mid-range processor with a 3,200mAh battery should ensure all-day battery under typical use
Pricing and availability
An Android phone for Apple fans
If you love the look of the iPhone X but can't stomach the price, the Oppo A73 could be the smartphone for you.
- The Oppo A73 retails for $359, but you can find it cheaper at retailers like Catch, Big W and Target.
|Display size (inches)||6|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2160 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||402|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,200|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||13|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||16|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||N/A|
Latest Oppo news
Oppo's revealed images of its foldable phone prototype, and it's remarkably similar visually to Huawei's Mate X. Read more…
Oppo reveals specifications for its 10x optical zoom lens module, which it says will be in a consumer phone before mid-2019. Read more…
Optus has placed a 5G AR call between Australia and Singapore for the first time. Read more…