We review the features and pricing of this popular online payroll platform.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
OnPay is an online payroll service designed to help businesses automate employee payments, tax filings, benefits and more. But in the competitive world of online payroll platforms, how do you know whether OnPay is right for your business.
This OnPay review will take a closer look at the provider's features, pricing, and pros and cons to help you find out whether it suits your needs.
Established in 2011, OnPay is a software company that offers payroll, HR and benefits services to small businesses. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, the company processes payroll for businesses in all 50 US states.
How does OnPay work?
You can get started with OnPay by visiting the OnPay website and click a sign-up link. You'll need to provide your name and email address, then confirm your email before moving to the next step.
After creating a password, click "Launch" next to your company name in the "Pending Enrollments" section.
You'll then need to provide a number of details and forms to enrol your business, including:
- Your company's name, EIN number and the type of entity
- The name, address and social security number for an owner or officer of the company
- Reporting agent authorisation form
- Company bank account details
- Employee pay schedules
You may also wish to set up direct deposit payments for your employees, while OnPay may request your payroll history if you've made any previous payments to employees in this calendar year.
Finally, you'll also need to decide whether you want to take advantage of any of OnPay's other services, such as establishing health benefits or workers' compensation coverage, or integrating with other accounting or timekeeping tools.
What features does OnPay offer?
OnPay provides the following features for small businesses:
- Payroll services. You can use OnPay to offer unlimited pay runs per month, automate tax filings and payments, and pay employees using a variety of payment methods. Employees can also access a self-onboarding system to check their pay stubs, request time off and download key forms.
- HR tools. OnPay's full-service payroll offering also includes a range of HR tools and resources. These include PTO tracking, employee onboarding, document storage and a range of HR document templates.
- Health insurance. OnPay works with an in-house team of licensed health insurance brands to help you integrate products like medical, dental and vision insurance for your employees.
- Workers' comp. OnPay also allows you to integrate pay-as-you-go workers' comp with your payroll services. The cover meets insurance requirements in every US state and is automatically updated when a new employee joins your business.
- 401(k) plans. You can use the OnPay platform to integrate retirement benefits for your employees. Features include automatic withholdings and no investment management fees, but a one-off establishment fee and an ongoing monthly fee apply.
- Software integrations. Finally, you can also sync your OnPay payroll services with software from a range of other accounting, HR and timekeeping providers, including Xero, QuickBooks and ThinkHR.
How much does OnPay cost?
OnPay's pricing structure is simple and straightforward.
You'll need to pay a base fee of US$36 per month, plus US$4 a month per person. Only workers who are paid in the given month are included in the cost, while this fee also covers all of OnPay's payroll services and HR tools.
A one-month free trial is available if you want to sample the features of the platform.
Pros and cons
- Straightforward and easy to use
- Flexible options for paying employees
- Not just payroll but also a full suite of HR tools and benefits services
- Transparent pricing structure
- One-month free trial so you can try out the platform
- Will take a little while to learn how to navigate the platform
- Doesn't offer a mobile app
- Some users complain that PTO accruals could be a little clearer
Is OnPay right for me?
If you're searching for an online payroll solution for your small business, OnPay is well worth a closer look. It offers all the essential features you need to manage payroll, benefits and a number of other key tasks, while it has also earned plenty of positive reviews from other small businesses.
However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you. Compare it with other payroll services side by side to determine whether it offers good value for money. You may also want to check out an OnPay live demo webinar (hosted a few times a week) or even sign up for a 30-day free trial to get a better idea of what the platform has to offer.
More payroll software options
OnPay offers an easy-to-use platform and a wide range of payroll and HR services all in the one place. However, it's important to compare it with other payroll services to find out whether it's a good fit for your business. Consider pricing, included features and user-friendliness before choosing a payroll provider for your business.
More guides on Finder
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Best Ukuleles in Australia
These are the 6 best Ukuleles you can buy right now in Australia.
Square vs PayPal
Both Square and PayPal are popular choices, but which payment processor is best for your business needs?
Can Anchorage bring crypto staking and DeFi to banks?
Anchorage has made history as the first US crypto-native fintech to acquire full banking rights.
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
MasterClass: Courses delivered by recognised industry experts
Ignite your passion with exclusive training from your favourite celebrity experts with MasterClass.
Earnd is a pay on demand service that lets you access a portion of your paycheque before payday without paying any fees or interest.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
Learn about the key features of Workful, a payroll software that's tailored to meet the needs of small and growing enterprises.
Used car values: what helps a car retain its value?
Gumtree reveals data that could help used and new car buyers save money
Ask an Expert