Online payday loans
Compare payday lenders that offer online applications as well as the fees and features that you can expect.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
While some payday lenders operate accept applications in a branch, many offer online applications. These applications usually take around 10 to 20 minutes to complete and if approved, borrowers can receive the funds within an hour or the next business day. Before applying for a personal loan, it's important to understand the fees and risks involved as well as the eligibility criteria that must be met to apply.
Are you struggling financially?
If you're struggling financially and would like to speak to someone for free financial advice, information and assistance you can call the Financial Counsellors hotline on 1800 007 007 (open from 9:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). If you are suffering financial problems related to the coronavirus pandemic you may be eligible for additional support. Find out more here: https://www.finder.com.au/coronavirus-financial-help
⚠️ Warning about Borrowing
Do you really need a loan today?*
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink: Phone: 13 17 94
The Government's MoneySmart website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.
Sunshine Short Term Loans
- Loan Amount: $2,000
- Loan Term: 9-14 weeks
- Turnaround Time: 30 minutes - conditions apply
- Fees: 20% of loan amount + 4% of loan amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick & easy Approval
Compare online payday loans
What is a payday loan?
A payday loan is a small, short term loan that's usually for less than $2,000 but can be for as much as $5,000. Once the lender deposits the funds, the borrower must pay it off in full by the end of the loan term. The customer usually must make regular repayments according to the frequency of their pay (for example, fortnightly) and depending on the loan, the term may be as short as 16 to 60 days or up to one year.
What to compare before applying for a payday loan online
- Loan amount. The loan amounts generally vary between $150 and $2,000, although some lenders offer amounts up to $5,000. The more you borrow, the larger the repayment amounts and fees will be so it's important not to borrow more than you need and can afford to repay.
- Loan term. It's important to choose a loan term that offers enough time to repay it in full. However, payday loans charge monthly fees and the longer the loan term, the more of these the borrower will pay.
- Repayments. Payday loans usually require borrowers to make regular repayments that line up with their pay frequency. For example, if a borrower is paid fortnightly, their payday loan repayments will be due every two weeks. The repayments will be outlined in the contract before the loan is processed, so it's important to pay attention to these and ensure that you can afford them before signing anything.
- Fees. Lenders charge a one-off establishment fee as well as monthly fees. For a loan under $2,000, the establishment fee is capped at 20% and the monthly fees are capped at 4%. If a customer makes late repayments, they'll be charged late payment or default fees. If the borrower fails to pay the loan in full and is taken to court, they'll also be charged enforcement expenses.
- Reputable lender. Before applying with an online lender, make sure that it's a responsible and reputable credit lender. Check that the lender has a credit licence, read reviews online and try to get in touch with the customer service and ask a few questions to see if they're helpful, transparent and easy to contact.
- Turnaround. Some lenders deposit the loans in as little as 30 minutes or one hour while others will take one business day to send the loan. Most lenders also have cut-offs to send the money on the same day (for example, between 2pm and 4pm) and only operate during business hours which should be noted if you're applying on a Friday or weekend.
How to apply for a payday loan online
Once you've compared your options, confirmed that you can afford the repayments and fees, you can consider applying for a loan online. Before you start the application, check if you meet the eligibility criteria and have the necessary documents to complete the application. The specific requirements will vary between loans but usually include:
- Income. Applicants must receive an income. Lenders may accept incomes such as a pension or Centrelink benefits, as long as the Centrelink payments don't make up more than 50% of their total earnings.
- Credit history. Some online lenders will accept applicants with bad credit, but applicants must still meet the other criteria and demonstrate their ability to repay the loan.
- Residential. Most lenders will only accept online applications from permanent Australian residents.
- Age. You must be over 18 years old to apply.
Documents and information to provide
- Personal information. This includes your full name, residential address and contact information. You may also be required to provide proof of ID. If you're a new customer, this is usually 100 points of ID.
- Income. Confirm your employment status, your employer's contact information and recent payslips.
- Finances. You may be asked to provide copies or read-only access to your bank statements as well as information regarding expenses and any liabilities (such as credit cards or other loan repayments).
If you have all of the information, the application should only take around 20 minutes to complete and the lender will usually give a response within a few minutes.
As payday loans are an expensive form of credit, you shouldn't apply for one unless you've compared your options and are sure that you can afford to make the regular repayments for the length of the loan term.
More guides on Finder
Non-conforming home loans guide
Imperfect credit? A non-conforming loan might help you become a home owner.
Here’s a breakdown of exactly what foreclosure means.
86 400 Neat home loan – variable
This flexible variable rate home loan offer from a digital lender is suitable for both home buyers and investors.
Best energy provider in Australia
Learn how to compare energy providers in your state with our free online tool.
86 400 Own home loan – fixed
Check out this flexible fixed rate offer from a digital lender. Rates for home buyers and investors.
Toyota RAV4 car loans
Compare car loans and discover prices and specs of the Toyota RAV4.
CommBank 0.99% Green Loan: Can you get it?
CommBank has announced a new green loan with a 0.99% interest rate, which you can use to buy and install renewable tech in your home.
Earnd is a pay on demand service that lets you access a portion of your paycheque before payday without paying any fees or interest.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
Afterpay hangover? Beware of impact on home loan approval
Off the back of Christmas spending, a finance expert has warned that your Afterpay habits could negatively impact your home loan application.
Ask an Expert