Best agriculture courses
As a major producer and exporter of agricultural products, Australia has many job opportunities to offer students with agriculture degrees.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
With farmland making up over 60% of the land mass in Australia, it is easy to understand why someone would want to pursue a career in agriculture. This is an industry that earns over 150 billion dollars a year, providing job opportunities in a variety of sectors. Studying agriculture online is an easy way to secure the degree needed to become a part of this ever-expanding industry.
Why should I study agriculture?
Holding a bachelor’s degree that is related to agriculture in Australia makes you a very appealing job applicant in the industry. There is a focus on creating sustainability in agriculture in order for Australia to be able to continue feeding its growing population and that of the world. You will discover a thriving job market that is continually looking for fresh minds to introduce new ideas, methods and techniques that improve production while preserving the ecosystem.
With a degree in agriculture you are not limited to working with farming methods. There are ample job opportunities available in this sector, while it is estimated that less than two applicants are applying for each one. This puts you in a position to be able to choose a career path in agriculture that will be financially and personally rewarding for you.
See our latest October 2020 deals for agriculture online courses below:
What are the courses for agriculture?
Available online courses for Australians wishing to study agriculture include:
- Diploma of Agriculture/Diploma of Management
- Diploma of Agriculture
- Diploma of Conservation and Land Management
In order to obtain a Diploma of Agriculture from an online learning institution in Australia, you will need to successfully complete at least ten different units of study. These are all designed to assist you in learning how to:
- Identify climate risks and develop preventative strategies.
- Monitor soil health and make necessary adjustments for continued sustainability.
- Manage the production of crops and pastures.
- Manage livestock production.
- Recognise the need for livestock health management and design measures of preventative health treatment.
- Recognise livestock illness and disease and implement plans towards preventing its spread.
- Discover methods of preventing disease in livestock.
- Develop budgets for a farm operation.
- Develop a system of managing machinery and other heavy equipment.
In order to be considered for an online class to obtain a diploma in agriculture you may be required to have prior experience in farming or a Certificate III in Agriculture as well as access to a working farm on a regular basis.
You could also focus your diploma by taking courses that are geared towards sustainable production, production animal health or other areas of interest. These short courses will give you specialised knowledge in certain areas of a working farm in Australia:
- Learn to Integrate Sustainability, Organics & Permaculture
- Animal Husbandry
- Learn to Sell Your Produce
- Study Agronomy
- Get the Inside Information on What Makes Your Animals Tick
- Learn to Evaluate Animal Behaviour
- Study Animal Breeding
- Animal Diseases
- Evaluate Feedstuffs and Design Production Rations
- Animal Grooming
- Recognise and Respond to Diseases and Other Health Conditions
- Get the Edge in Animal Health
- Train for a Professional Career in the Agriculture Industry
- Learn to be a Professional in the Management and Care of Animals
- Get the Inside Information on the Horse Business
- Beef Cattle Production and Management
- Profitable Calf Raising
- Are You Running Your Farm or is Your Farm Running You?
- Certificate in Alternative Farming
- Animal Health and Welfare
- Study Animal Management and Husbandry Techniques
- Certificate in Equine Husbandry
- Manage Dairy Cattle
- Develop Your Agriculture Knowledge-base
- Train for a Career or Manage a Business in Farming, Pet Industries or With Wildlife
- Learn to Care for Dogs
- Learn and Apply an Understanding of Canine Psychology to Farm Dogs
- A Foundation in Farm Engineering
- Farm Engineering
- Study Equine Behaviour
- Make More Money From Your Farm
- Learn Goat Husbandry
- Horse Breeding
- Manage the Daily Requirements of Your Horse
- Horse Care II
- Horse Care III
- Water is an Essential Resource and Needs to be Managed Wisely
- Irrigation Management
- Marine Aquaculture (Mariculture)
- Natural Health Care for Animals
- Be Part of a Clean, Green Farming Future
- Learn How to Grow Better Pastures
- Learn to Give Your Pets the Best Care Possible
- Pig (Swine) Production
- Specialist Qualification for People Working in Agriculture
- Sheep Husbandry and Production
- Good Pastures and Crops Begin in the Soil
- Weed Control
What are the tuition fees and other expenses to study agriculture?
There are a number of different types of courses associated with a diploma in agriculture that will greatly affect the price. For example, if you were to pursue an advanced degree in animal husbandry through an Australian online school, you would pay close to $12,000 AUD while a class in agricultural marketing online is only $700 AUD. You will want to structure your own studies using classes that pertain to your specific interests in the agricultural industry.Back to top
What are the best institutions in Australia to study agriculture?
ACS Distance Education has an extensive list of agricultural related courses that can enhance your existing degree or provide you with a new one. You can take a basic agricultural certification course or work towards an advanced degree in equine management or other specialised areas of agriculture including sustainable techniques and methods.Back to top
What are the career opportunities for agriculture?
Your choices are not limited to the private sector of farming in Australia. Large companies that produce fruits, vegetables and meat products are also in need of agricultural specialists to help in the production of their various products. If you already have a particular area of interest that you wish to pursue, such as horse farming or wheat, it would be very beneficial to you to gear your courses towards those studies for work in industrial agricultural.
A farm or ranch manager for example is in charge of the day to day workings of the farm, earning an average of $48,672 AUD annually. You can also look into a career as an agronomist, field representative or agricultural consultant.
The agricultural industry in Australia is in a constant state of change, always looking for methods to improve on production and maintain a sustainable environment. A Diploma in Agriculture will open many doors for you, and allow you to pursue a rewarding career in this important sector of the Australian economy.Back to top
What's trending right now with online courses?
More guides on Finder
Medical receptionist courses online
Find a medical receptionist course online to help land a job in health administration.
Training.com.au: Upskill and find the career for you
Find out exactly which courses you could become qualified in with Training.com.au.
Business In:Brief with John Fargher (AgriWebb)
Learn more about John Fargher, co-founder of the world's leading software platform for agricultural management.
Podcast: Superannuation is leaving women behind
An important discussion about the gender gap in Australia's superannuation and retirement system with Future Super's managing director Kirstin Hunter.
Australia’s National Blockchain Roadmap released
There are 12 signposts on Australia's road to blockchain.
30+ best TV shows available on Disney+ Australia
From animated superhero shows to captivating docu-series, Disney+ has something for everyone.
Australia’s first accredited blockchain courses have arrived
Australia now has a formal, accredited and nationally recognised way of identifying blockchain people.
The best TV shows you can stream on Stan
In over three years, Stan has considerably expanded its catalogue, which now includes thousands of hours of content. Here are the best series available to stream right now.
Best places to visit in Australia
Discover all that Australia has to offer and start planning your trip with this guide of the best places to visit in Australia, from coast to coast.
The best Netflix original comedy series to help you survive this week
Great Netflix comedy series tend to fly under the radar, but we’re here to remedy that.
Ask an Expert