List of Online Courses You Can Now Claim in Full (Courses >$1,000)

Information verified correct on October 21st, 2016

Can I deduct the cost of education or courses from my tax return?

If you’ve taken a course to benefit your career or to sharpen your work skills then you might be able to deduct the cost from your tax return, but there are some stipulations. Read on for the full story.

When it comes to claiming the cost of an educational course, the Australian Tax Office (ATO) in its own words says that:

“Work-related self-education expenses are expenses you incur when you undertake a course to obtain a formal qualification from a school, college, university or other place of education that is relevant for your current employment.”

So you have to be able to prove that the course you have taken was intended to directly benefit your career. So, if you’re an investment banker and you took a flower arranging course, it’s likely that you won’t get away with deducting that. But if you’ve legitimately taken a course to further your career, then you should find some relief in your tax return.

See our latest October 2016 online courses that costs over $1,000:

Professional Fitness Trainer (Certificate III and IV in Fitness) from Courses for Success

A must have certificate for those who plans to start a career as gym instructors.

View details

Certificate III in Aged Care Online Course from Courses for Success

Certificate III in Aged Care Online Course is suitable for individuals who want to enter into aged care and community care.

View details

Diploma of Hospitality Online Course from Courses for Success

This course will teach you how to operate and lead a team in both large and small hospitality settings including restaurants, hotels, motels, clubs, pubs, cafes and coffee shops.

View details

Certificate IV in Work Health and Safety Online Course from Courses for Success

Start the journey of becoming a WHS Officer today by taking this online course.

View details

Certificate IV in Security Risk Management Online Course from Courses for Success

This course will teach assessing risks, monitoring and reviewing security operations, assessing threat, workplace briefing and debriefing processes

View details

Certificate IV in Government (Road Transport Compliance) from Courses for Success

Acquire the knowledge and skills required to ensure the safety of everyone on the roads. Get hired by the Government after taking this course.

View details

What expenses can I claim?

Anyone who has ever taken a course will know that there is a lot more to education than paying for tuition. In fact, it can often surprise people by just how much extra there is to cover. Again, we’ll give you the expenses available as told by the ATO. Expenses that can be claimed include:

  • Accommodation and meals (if away from home overnight)
  • Computer consumables
  • Course fees
  • Decline in value for depreciating assets (cost exceeds $300)
  • Purchase of equipment or technical instruments costing less than $300
  • Equipment repairs
  • Fares
  • Home office running costs
  • Interest
  • Internet usage (excluding connection fees)
  • Parking fees (only for work-related claims)
  • Phone calls
  • Postage
  • Stationery
  • Student union fees
  • Student services and amenities fees
  • Textbooks
  • Trade, professional, or academic journals
  • Travel to-and-from place of education
Back to top

What expenses can’t I claim?

Sadly, not everything can be claimed, and there are limits on some expenses. Things that cannot be claimed include:

  • Repayments of Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) loans: HECS-Help, FEE-Help, OS-Help, VET FEE-Help and SA-Help
  • Student Financial Supplement Scheme (SFSS) repayments
  • Home office occupancy expenses
  • Meals - where not sleeping away from home
Back to top

What is the $250 reduction?

In some cases, the ATO states that the first $250 of self education costs are non-deductible. However, there are some expenses which are not allowed as a deduction, that can be offset against the $250 before you have to reduce the amount you can claim for expenses. This may include:

  • Child care costs
  • Computer purchases
  • Travel expenses or car expenses
Back to top

Where can I go for help?

There is no getting away from it, tax can be confusing. If you’re struggling to get your head around this, then perhaps you might benefit from getting some professional help with your taxes. There are a whole host of services available in Australia with a host of fees and methods of working. Have a look through our full guide to tax services by clicking on the link below.

Click here for our guide to tax providers (you’ll see them listed on the left hand side).

Back to top

Where can I find an online course? 

If you’re looking for an online course, then you’re in luck. We’ve reviewed the best online courses available in Australia. Follow the link below to see the best courses available online.

Click here for our full preview of the best online courses available.

Shirley Liu

Shirley is's publisher for banking and investments. She is currently studying a Masters in Commerce (Finance) and is the author of hundreds of articles. She is passionate about helping Aussies make an informed decision, save money and find the best deal for their needs.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question