Looking to drive with Ola in Melbourne? Everything you need to know.
If you're interested in becoming a rideshare driver, Ola is a relative newcomer to Australian roads, having launched in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth in January 2018. Now operating in a number of cities across Australia and counting over 40,0000 driver-partners, it may be a platform to consider if you want to sign up as a rideshare driver.
This guide will take you through what you need to know about Ola driving in Melbourne including commission rates, eligibility and vehicle requirements.
What is Ola?
Ola is a rideshare platform that currently operates in India and Australia. It launched in Australia in January 2018. It operates in much the same way as the original rideshare platform, Uber, but offers other benefits for drivers such as daily payment and an SOS feature for safety. It also offers other vehicle options in other cities, including rickshaws.
Where in Australia does Ola operate?
Ola currently operates in the following Australian cities:
Check if you're eligible to drive with Ola in Melbourne
Some of the benefits of driving with Ola in Melbourne
- Safety and support. Drivers can contact Ola 24/7 and also have access to an SOS button within the Ola app.
- Daily payments. Whatever earnings you make with Ola you can expect to receive the following working day.
- Commission rate. Ola offers an introductory commission rate of 7.5%. After 30 days this reverts to a 15% commission rate.
- Free to sign up. There is no cost to register as an Ola driver.
- Direction preference. Ola will send ride requests to you in the direction you want to travel.
Ola vs Uber vs Taxify: Melbourne
If you're unsure which ridesharing platform you want to sign up to, compare the features of each in the table below to see if Ola is right for you.
|Ease of signup||Sign up for Ola online||Sign up online then have an in-person training and vehicle inspection||Sign up online, in-person training is usually required|
|Available cities||Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Gold Coast, Canberra, Brisbane, Adelaide||Available in every Australian state (launching Darwin August 2018)||Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane|
|How you get paid||Daily payment direct to your nominated bank account||Weekly payment direct to your nominated bank account||In cash or a weekly payment direct to your nominated bank account|
|Commission rates||Introductory rate for first 30 days: 7.5%|
Ongoing rate: 15%
How do you sign up as an Ola Melbourne driver?
The first step is to get your documents (outlined in the table above) ready. Once you have these, head to Ola's website to sign up. You'll then go through the following steps:
- Sign in with your Google account and enter your personal details
- Verify your mobile number
- Provide some details about the vehicle you're planning to use to drive with Ola, such as whether or not you own it
- Provide information and documents about yourself, such as your ID, and your vehicle, such as your insurance documents
Once you've submitted all of the required documents, your application will be reviewed by Ola. You will then be notified whether you have been accepted as a driver-partner.