It's almost October, and you know what that means? The world's largest beer festival is looming. We've rounded up the best places to celebrate Oktoberfest in Canberra.
Any holiday that is devoted almost exclusively to drinking beer and eating heaps of food is our kind of holiday, and the world seems to agree. This year Oktoberfest will be celebrated on every continent. If you’re in Canberra during the festival, then you’ve got a couple of great options to join in the celebrations, including one of Australia’s most popular Oktoberfest parties.
What else do you need?
READ MORE: Oktoberfest recipes to make at home
Oktoberfest Canberra parties
1. Oktoberfest CBR
- When: 26-28 October 2018
- Where: Queanbeyan Showgrounds, Glebe Road, Queanbeyan
- Beer selection: Wide selection of popular German and international beers.
- For more information: Oktoberfest - Brought to you by the Harmonie German Club.
50 years celebrating the great bier festival and Oktoberfest CBR is still going strong. This year's celebrations return back to Queanbeyan Showgrounds for the second time running and is three days of oompa merriment with traditional music, German dancers, amusement rides and bell-ringers set to entertain.
The first keg is tapped at 5pm on 26 October, paving the way for music, dance, beardmeister and Miss Oktoberfest competitions and naturally, bier drinking. Prost!
2. Oktoberfest Parklands
- When: 20 October 2018, 1-9pm
- Where: Patrick White Parklands
- Beer selection: Hand selected German beers, non-German beers and liquid gold courtesy of the best local European brewer around, Zierholz.
- For more information: Oktoberfest Parklands.
Back for the second time, Oktoberfest Parklands is a one-day German bonanza of beers, pretzels, dirndls, Oompah bands and roving entertainment.
Held in the Parliamentary Triangle, its surrounded by the nation's biggest icons, and is a kid-free afternoon so get set to let your hair down!
Want the VIP treatment? Book a Beer Kellner and you'll have a table reserved for you, complete with table service, photographer and a tour of the event. Fancy.
3. Knuckles Restaurant
- When: 26-28 October 2018
- Where: 49 Jerrabomberra Avenue, Narrabundah
- Beer selection: A wide selection of German beers.
- For more information: Knuckles Restaurant
Knuckles' signature dish is a mouthwatering port knuckle that you'll need to preorder to get as it takes a mammoth 4.5 hours to prepare - so don't forget to make the request when booking or sit tight and prepare to wait a while...
As Knuckles is housed within Harmonie Club which is hosts the annual Canberra Oktoberfest event (see above) so all celebration will likely be focused there. But that doesn't mean you can't tuck into the German fare that Knuckles offers daily.
Best Oktoberfest costumes
Oktoberfest men’s costume
Oktoberfest Costume - Female
Tavern man costume