We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Faced with the ever-increasing burden of meeting health and safety requirements is a daunting task for directors and managers. An occupational health and safety lawyer will help advise on preventative measures, legislation, and documentation.
Speak to an occupational health and safety lawyer online
Does your company belong in this list?
What's in this guide?
- Speak to an occupational health and safety lawyer online
- What is an occupational health and safety lawyer?
- When should I use an occupational health and safety lawyer?
- Occupational health and safety lawyer vs work health and safety lawyer
- What does an occupational health and safety lawyer service include and not include?
- How effective is an occupational health and safety lawyer?
- Do I need a lawyer for occupational health and safety?
- Where to get free lawyer quotes and legal document templates
What is an occupational health and safety lawyer?
Workplace Health and Safety laws are in place to ensure that every company and employee works in a safe environment. They carry out a range of functions that guarantee that employees are provided with a safety net. These laws also cover wages, good faith bargaining and ensuring that the company and the employees get a fair deal should unfair dismissal occur.
Occupational health and safety lawyers help businesses in both the public and private sector. Their main role is to ensure that a workplace is complying to all relevant health and safety laws. These lawyers are trained and will inform a workplace of any risks that will impact the health and safety of customers and employees in a workplace.
When should I use an occupational health and safety lawyer?
In Australia, an occupational health and safety lawyer can be used in all industries. If you manage a place where people are employed to work, you should consider using an occupational health and safety lawyer. Occupational health and safety doesn't just cover an employee, it covers a company should a claim be created.
Occupational health and safety lawyer vs work health and safety lawyer
Essentially, work health and safety and occupational health and safety are the same. Work health and safety was a term adopted into laws across Australian states and territories in January 2012. The aim of using this new term was to create a model law that all states and territories would base their health and safety laws on.
What does an occupational health and safety lawyer service include and not include?
The focus of an occupational health and safety lawyer is empowering a workforce and ensuring that employees' wellbeing is considered. Below are some of the elements included and not included in occupational health and safety law:
An occupational health and safety lawyer can provide the following services:
- Offer advice about the efficiency of your existing health and safety documentation
- Advice on the applicability of new laws to the sector and your business
- Advise on the responsibilities expected from a workplace and management
- Identify any relevant risks
- Ensure the likelihood of any risks and injuries are minimised
- Advice should a security breach happen
- Training to relevant parties within a business
- Assist with applications for insurance and workers' compensation insurance
- Family law
- Criminal law
- Corporate law
How effective is an occupational health and safety lawyer?
Occupational health and safety laws are always changing. An occupational health and safety lawyer is trained in these laws and understands how to apply a law to your sector, or business. Because they know how to interpret laws, they can mitigate and anticipate issues related to occupational health and safety laws. They are committed to protecting your business and will take the right action should any claims be made against you.
Do I need a lawyer for occupational health and safety?
It's generally recommended to use a lawyer when it comes to occupational health and safety. These laws require strict compliance and any type of breach could mean your company could be subject to penalties. A lawyer will have a good understanding and be trained in the process. This means they can put in place the right procedures to ensure your employees have the best health and safety protections, and that your company won't be met with any unexpected claims.
Any injury that has taken place in a workplace due to a company's failure to comply can lead to huge penalties. In the worst-case scenario, it may also lead to prosecution. A well-trained occupational health and safety lawyer can ensure that the right measures are in place. This will help prevent workplace accidents from happening, as well as aid a business in defence against possible legal action because of a workplace incident.
Where to get free lawyer quotes and legal document templates
- Lawpath. Lawpath offers free legal quotes, with three proposals given for each quote. This allows you to easily compare and find the right expert for you.
- LegalVision. LegalVision offers fixed fee quotes for legal services.
- Sprintlaw. Book a free legal quote with Sprintlaw and receive legal assistance.
- Net Lawman. Net Lawman provides a range of easy to access legal documents and advice.
Ask an Expert