Nutrition courses online
Where and how you can take a course online to gain knowledge and qualify as a nutritionist or diet and nutrition advisor.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Is it your goal to become a nutritionist or diet and nutrition advisor? Whether you want to expand your knowledge or make a career change, you can take an online nutrition course and study at your own pace to become qualified.
We've compiled a guide to nutritionist courses available online so you can find the right one for you.
Where can I find nutrition courses online?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What online nutrition courses are available?
There are hundreds of courses online covering overall nutrition and specific aspects such as sports nutrition or child nutrition. You can sign up for a certificate, diploma or even a bachelor's degree, depending on your career goals.
Here are some of the available courses:
The starting point for your career in nutrition, a certificate will help you land an entry-level role.
- Undergraduate Certificate in Building Health Through Nutrition - Endeavour College of Natural Health
- Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistance (Nutrition and Dietetics) - Foundation Education and Open Colleges
- Nutrition Counselling Advanced Certificate - Health Academy Australia
- Nutrition Business Certificate - Learning Online
- Pathway to Nutrition Certificate - Simply Learning
- Health and Nutrition Life Coach Certification (Accredited) - Udemy
If you want to advance to a higher-level position or start your own business, you'll want a diploma.
- Diploma of Nutrition (Non-Clinical Advisor) - Australian Institute of Personal Trainers
- Fully Accredited Professional Nutritionist Diploma - Udemy
- Internationally Accredited Diploma in Nutrition - Udemy
- Internationally Accredited Diploma in Diet Planning - Udemy
A three- or four-year degree qualifies you for a broader range of careers in the health, food, sports and fitness, media, or government sectors.
- BSc Health Science (Food and Nutrition) - Charles Sturt University
- BSc Health Science (Nutritional and Dietetic Medicine) - Endeavour College of Natural Health
- BSc Nutrition - Torrens University Australia
- BSc Human Nutrition - University of Canberra
Who should take a nutrition course online?
People wanting to work in the field of health and fitness should consider studying nutrition to understand its effects on the human body. Anyone wanting to develop their knowledge of nutrition to improve their own health, can also benefit from taking a nutrition course.
An accredited qualification and registration with an industry body sets you apart as being professionally trained. This can make it easier to find employment as a nutritionist, either for a company or your own business.
What does an online nutrition course involve?
Studying nutrition involves understanding the relationship between food and nutrition, developing the ability to interpret scientific research, and constructing nutrition plans for different people.
An online course consists of a mix of video lectures, podcasts, downloadable course materials and tests.
Degree courses include online environments where students can communicate with one another and the course leader.
What topics may be covered in an online nutrition course?
A nutrition course covers a range of topics. Some include:
- Biology and metabolism
- Food science and safety
- Sociocultural and behavioural approaches to food
- Health and disease
- Therapeutic diets
- Research skills
- Nutrition assessment
- Child nutrition
- Food allergies
How long does an online nutrition course take to complete?
It can take anywhere from a couple of hours to four years to complete a nutrition course, depending on the qualification and the institution.
A certification can take as little as one hour to complete by watching a video module while a bachelor's degree from a university can take up to four years of full-time study at around 36 hours per week.
What are the career options after studying a nutrition course online?
Once you've completed a nutrition course, you can start a career in a variety of roles:
- Diet and nutrition advisor
- Health coach
- Food technologist
- Food regulator
- Public health officer
- Government policy advisor
- Nutrition researcher
- Community health officer
- Media spokesperson
What equipment and software will I need?
You'll need to have:
- A desktop computer, laptop or tablet.
- A microphone and speakers.
- A stable and fast Internet connection capable of streaming video.
- An email address that you can use to access course materials and communicate with the course leader.
See the latest deals for nutrition courses online
More guides on Finder
Online hospitality courses
Here’s where you can gain qualifications in hospitality at your own pace with an online course.
How to start an accounting business
Find out what it takes to launch an accounting firm in today’s market.
How to start a fitness business
Read these top tips to help you launch a successful fitness company.
Online nail technician courses
Become an in-demand nail tech with these online nail technician courses.
Pharmacy courses online
Get a healthy dose of information to help you choose the right online pharmacy course for you.
RCG (Responsible Conduct of Gambling) courses online
Stack the odds in your favour by completing your RCG course online and launch your career in hospitality.
Online social media courses
Become a social media guru by completing an online course.
How to start a recording studio business
Turn your passion for music production into a career by starting your own recording studio.
Online English courses
Improve your English proficiency and enhance your career potential with these online English courses.
Online Japanese courses
Learn to speak Japanese and expand your career prospects with these rewarding online courses.
Ask an Expert