- Please note that in person mobile vehicle inspections have been suspended due to COVID-19. However, The NRMA has partnered with RedBook to provide a remote vehicle inspection via video.
NRMA pre-purchase vehicle inspections
A pre-purchase vehicle inspection by the National Roads and Motorists’ Association (NRMA) can ensure you don’t get a lemon when buying a used car.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Pre-purchase vehicle inspections help alleviate some of the confusion and worry when buying a used car. Without an inspection, if you have little or no automotive knowledge, how can you be sure the car you’re buying is mechanically sound and in good condition?
This is where a mobile vehicle inspection is extremely handy. Offered by NRMA Car Servicing and Repairs, a pre-purchase vehicle inspection is a comprehensive inspection that details the current state of a vehicle. Not only does this provide you with peace of mind from knowing whether you’re getting value for money, potentially saving you thousands in repair bills, but also you’ll enjoy the peace of mind of having an NRMA inspector come to you (or video call you).
Who would want to use NRMA pre-purchase vehicle inspections?
NRMA mobile vehicle inspections can be a useful tool for car buyers and sellers:
- If you’re buying a car. An inspection provides some reassurance before you make a large purchase. This allows you to be confident you aren’t buying a lemon, which means you can negotiate a better price before you buy and ensure you don’t get stuck with hefty repair bills in the future.
- If you’re selling a car. An NRMA pre-purchase vehicle inspection allows you to demonstrate to prospective buyers your car has been well-maintained and is mechanically sound. This gives you extra power in the bargaining process, allowing you to negotiate a better sale price for your vehicle and to identify any issues you should get rectified by the manufacturer while the vehicle is still under a new car warranty.
Features of NRMA pre-purchase vehicle inspections
- Please note that in person pre-purchase vehicle inspections aren't available right now due to COVID-19. However, The NRMA has partnered with RedBook to provide a remote vehicle inspection via video. Note, the inspector remotely communicate with a car's seller.
NRMA pre-purchase vehicle inspections include the following features:
- Comprehensive inspection. Each NRMA pre-purchase vehicle inspection provides a 150-point visual vehicle check and includes a comprehensive report detailing the current state of the vehicle. This includes a thorough examination of the interior and exterior, the engine compartment, the car’s underbody, the tyres, wheels and brakes.
- Road test included. The inspection also includes a road test to check the vehicle’s engine performance and noise, exhaust smoke, transmission, differential, steering, suspension, brake operation and cruise control.
- 1-2 hours inspection. Each NRMA mobile vehicle inspection takes approximately 1-2 minutes to complete, depending on the vehicle.
- Report emailed to you. Once an inspection has been completed, you’ll be emailed a comprehensive inspection report as soon as possible. The goal is to usually contact you within 24 hours, but it can take up to 3 days to complete a report.
- Available Monday to Saturday. Mobile vehicle inspections are available Monday to Saturday from 7:30am to 5:30pm.
- Available throughout much of NSW. NRMA mobile vehicle inspections are available at private residences and dealerships in the following areas: Sydney Metro, lower Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Newcastle, Maitland, Canberra and Illawarra.
- You don’t need to attend. There's no requirement for you to be present throughout an NRMA mobile vehicle inspection. However, you do have the option to attend the inspection if you wish.
What's include in an NRMA pre-purchase inspection?
A full list of elements excluded from the inspection are available here.
Fees and charges
The cost of an NRMA mobile vehicle inspection varies depending on the type of vehicle you drive, as outlined in the table below:
|Product||Vehicle type||NRMA members||Non-NRMA members|
|Pre-purchase/end of warranty inspection|
|Remote Video Assessment (RVA)|
How to book an NRMA pre-purchase vehicle inspection
There are two ways you can book an NRMA mobile vehicle inspection:
- Book online. You’ll need to fill out a simple online form available through the NRMA website. You'll also need to provide the vehicle details, the time and location of the inspection, your contact information and payment details.
- Book over the phone. You can phone 1300 770 116 to book an inspection or make further enquiries about this service.
NRMA’s pre-purchase vehicle inspection service can take the stress out of buying a used car. But make sure to do your due diligence before buying a vehicle. That way, you’ll be able to hit the road with confidence and know you’re getting a good deal.
More guides on Finder
Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Origin review: A sore reminder of technology past
I wish I never met the Dyson Cinetic Big Ball Origin.
Rapid antigen tests: When will RAT stock be available? [UPDATED]
Rapid antigen tests are proving extremely hard to find, but there are options if you can be patient trying to find a RAT.
Why are the CBA and ANZ share prices stumbling today?
Shares in the major banks rose 20-25% over the last 12 months.
Asus Vivobook OLED M3500 review: Good but there’s no avoiding the design quirks
For beginner creators looking for a fantastic, vibrant screen on an easily portable laptop, the Vivobook 15” Pro OLED delivers a solid experience.
Get 12 months of free Disney Plus with Telstra
That's 1 major streaming service you can save on this year.
Money Expert offers timely advice to help you make the most of your finances.
Today’s ASX top stocks: PolyNovo (PNV ↑18.2%), Adriatic Metals (ADT ↑6.4%)
Here are the 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 11 January 2022.
Crypto slump deepens as Bitcoin briefly drops below US$40,000
Rising interest rates steer investors away from riskier assets.
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE: Best prices + plans from Telstra, Optus and Vodafone
Get the first new phone of 2022 from Telstra, Optus, Vodafone or Woolworths Mobile.
Car Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.88% p.a.
A low minimum borrowing amount of $2,000 that you can use to purchase a new car or one up to two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.69% p.a.
Take advantage of a competitive rate, pre-approval and no early repayment fees when you finance a car under two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate from 4.99% p.a.
A larger loan of $5,000 or more to help you buy a new or used car. 5-hour pre approval available and no ongoing fees.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
Purchase a new or used car up to 2 years old and benefit from a fixed rate and no monthly fees. Pre-approval available within 5 business hours.
Ask an Expert