Domestic flights from $21 each way
6 Northern Territory family holiday destinations that are truly unforgettable
These are all the things that will keep the whole crew happy on your upcoming getaway.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you're looking for a family holiday that's packed with adventure, keeps everyone active and allows you to visit Australia's best natural wonders, then Northern Territory is right on the money. Check out camel rides through the red centre and wildlife tours in the top end for a holiday you'll never forget.
Keep reading to sort out your itinerary and accommodation in one easy guide.
Our favourite family holiday destinations in the Northern Territory and why
Ayers Rock is the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about the Northern Territory. The indigenous landmark inhabits the area of Yulara and has a wide selection of kid-friendly activities that the whole family can take part in. We recommend hiring some bikes and seeing the sight with some wheels.
- Best for: Seeing Uluru/Ayers Rock
- Where to stay: Sails in the Desert Hotel or Emu Walk Apartments
- What to do: Outback Cycling Uluru, Uluru Sunset Camel Ride, Uluru Field of Light Sunrise Tour and Base Walk with Breakfast
The Australian outback doesn't get much better than in Katherine. If getting the whole crew together for some outdoor adventure is the plan, then head to Katherine and enjoy kayaking, hiking or even a cave tour.
- Best for: Nature activities
- Where to stay: Knotts Crossing Resort, Ibis Styles Katherine or Riverview Tourist Village
- What to do: Cutta Cutta Caves, Nitmiluk Gorge Canoe Tour, Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge Cruise and Katherine Outback Experience
3. Alice Springs
Seeing the red centre of the Northern Territory from the skies is best done from Alice Springs. From there, you and your family can take off over Uluru and Kata Tjuta National Park. The West MacDonnell Ranges also boast phenomenal walking trails and swimming pools.
- Best for: Hot air ballooning and flights
- Where to stay: DoubleTree by Hilton Alice Springs, Desert Palms Alice Springs or BIG4 MacDonnell Range Holiday Park
- What to do: 60 Minute Hot Air Balloon Flight, Scenic flight over Uluru, West MacDonnell Ranges and Alice Springs Desert Park
If your perfect family holiday includes a variety of walking trails and keeping things active, then Kakadu will be right up your alley. Take your pick from hikes through the bush, floodlands, woodlands and the region's hills.
- Best for: Hiking trails and waterfalls
- Where to stay: Mercure Kakadu Crocodile Hotel or Aurora Kakadu Lodge
- What to do: Kakadu National Park Day Tour, Twin and Jim Jim Falls Tour and Kakadu National Park Scenic Flight and Water Cruise
5. Litchfield National Park
Located just an hour and a half south of Darwin, Litchfield National Park hosts incredible views and some of the region’s most picturesque swimming holes. We recommend checking out Florence Falls and Buley Rockhole as you have both the option of a hike or going for a dip.
- Best for: Swimming holes
- Where to stay: Litchfield Motel, Litchfield Tourist Park, or Batchelor Holiday Park
- What to do: Litchfield Highlights Tour, Swim in Buley Hole and visit Wangi Falls, Ethical Adventures tour, Scenic Flight over Litchfield Park and Daly River
Bask in the tropical temperatures of Darwin with a plethora of beaches that include Mindil, Vesteys and the Darwin Rocksitters Club. Kids young and old will be entertained for days with numerous animal encounters that range from crocodile feeding to wildlife watching.
- Best for: Wildlife experiences
- Where to stay: Mantra on the Esplanade, Ramada Suites Zen Quarter, or the Kalidonis Village
- What to do: Darwin City Sights Half Day Tour, Crocodile and Reptile Encounter at Crocosaurus Cove, Wetland Wildlife Cruise
Best family-friendly swimming holes in Northern Territory
Cool off during a hike or make it your destination, these are the swimming holes that you won't want to miss when in the Northern Territory.
- Ellery Creek Big Hole: Bring the water floatables along for a slice of serenity at the Ellery Creek Big Hole in the West MacDonnell Ranges. With calm waters and soft sandbanks, this is the perfect spot to lounge around outdoors.
- Edith Falls: Situated in the Katherine region, Edith Falls is the perfect swimming spot for those of you sleeping under the stars at Leliyn Campground.
- Florence Falls: Bask in the sight of the twin falls while you soak in the sun. You'll find the Florence Falls within the Litchfield National Park.
- Gunlom Plunge Pool: If you're in the Kakadu National Park, you have to make a stop by the plunge pool. You'll be met by hillside views that will leave you breathless.
- Buley Rockhole: Buley Rockhole is another one of Litchfield National Park's hidden gems. Sit back and relax as the calm, rushing waters of the falls float by.
- Redbank Gorge: This is another great spot within the West MacDonnell Ranges if you've got a younger family. Redbank Gorge offers quiet waters that are perfect for the little ones – we recommend bringing along your inflatables.
- Ormiston Gorge: The West MacDonnell Ranges keeps on giving with the Ormiston Gorge tranquil swimming spot. Lay back on the sandbanks with a good book or get the pool noodles out for some fun out on the water.
Northern Territory family holiday packages and deals
More guides on Finder
9 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Follow the fun to these family getaways in Western Australia
From the coast to the forest, these family getaways will get the kids away from the screen and out exploring the spectacular state of Western Australia.
10 romantic getaways in the Northern Territory
Your secluded escape awaits with some of the Northern Territory's most picturesque stays that were made for couples.
7 unforgettable South Australian family holiday destinations
Sort your itinerary and your accommodation in one hit with our top spots to take the family in South Australia.
Tasmanian family holiday destinations that are full of fun and adventure
These Tasmanian school holiday activities will get you making the most of your own backyard and exploring the great outdoors.
Best time to visit the Northern Territory | Weather, price and activities
Travelling to the Northern Territory during winter offers cool, dry weather, but avoid visiting over summer as it's often humid and rainy.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2021
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Northern Territory travel restrictions | Where you can go in September 2021
Everything you need to know about accommodation, attractions, national parks and transport to safely travel around the NT.
What’s open in Canberra right now?
A list of open shopping centres, public venues, attractions and dining spots in Canberra during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Send yourself on this 6-night Thailand holiday from $639, including flights
EXPIRED: Here's how you can fly all the way to Phuket and stay on a beachfront location for under $100 per day,
Ask an Expert