Noosa and Port Douglas: Hotel prices down 25% in November
A one step guide to being in the right place at the right time.
TripAdvisor has been taking apart the average cost of hotel stays in different regions around Australia, and found a couple of very popular spots, Noosa and Port Douglas, where prices have dropped unusually low in November.
How it works
Noosa and Port Douglas are being weird in November 2017. For some reason booking in October for a stay in November is about 25% cheaper than it was to book in September for a stay in October. It's hard to say why, but it might be a combination of seasonal shifts, plus an uptick in accommodation availability relative to visitor numbers as more hotels are built, and more people start putting their Noosa and Port Douglas properties on TripAdvisor Rentals as well as other rental platforms.
It's a decent conclusion, with Noosa and Port Douglas both being popular among domestic and overseas tourists, and the latter increasingly opting for rental properties rather than hotels. You'd probably expect this kind of thing to hit popular tourist spots at some point.
For hotels in Noosa, it costs an average of 25% less to book for November instead of October, with the average cost of a stay in this high-demand location coming in at $503 for October, but only $378 in November.
In the cheaper-on-average Port Douglas, average savings are equivalent to 23% off. The area's average October nightly rate is $298, while November is down to $230.
There are some real savings to be found by booking early, easily in the hundreds of dollars range for a week-long stay.
The catch is that these are just the average savings, so if you're only looking at one place it's hard to know whether you're actually getting a deal. Like most things, getting a deal means shopping around.
Enter the hotel search engine. You can search for 491 (and counting) Noosa hotels, motels and rental apartments here, and 220+ Port Douglas stays here. You can also sort results, get reviews, pictures and all the other essentials.
TripAdvisor named some highlights of its own, by picking out some stays that combine 4-star ratings and below-average prices.
- Noosa Sun Motel: $192 a night is the November average for this comfy looking seaside apartment. Free W-iFi, a nice location for sightseeing and just a quick hop from the airport, it might be a good-value self-contained getaway that doesn't necessarily involve the beach.
- RACV Noosa Resort: The $371 a night November average puts the RACV Resort at almost exactly mid-price. For that you're looking at a family escape style resort, as much about the amenities as the rest of the area. And probably some really great carparks, as you'd expect from the RACV motoring club.
- Noosa Blue Resort: With an average November nightly rate of $243, this might be a deal. It's also very much a family destination, with multiple onsite swimming pools, including a separate kids pool with waterslide and nifty proximity to Noosa National Park.
In Port Douglas:
- Freestyle Resort Port Douglas: For an average of $202 a night in November, you can get one of 31 nestled-away apartments near Mossman Gorge, with some very nice-looking covered open air grounds.
- Paradise Links Resort Port Douglas: With an average nightly cost of only $156 in November, this might be the best value way to get a resort with an onsite 18-hole golf course and onsite tour planners plus car rental desk. It also has its own babysitting and childcare facilities, because toddlers aren't usually that into golf and champagne.
- Meridian Port Douglas: $215 a night on average is probably good value for a spot just a stroll away from Port Douglas Wharf and Shipwreck Museum. A central location, onsite tour desk and airport shuttle mean this could be a great stay if you want to explore the area on foot.
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes