The Nokia 9 Pureview's multi-camera approach makes it stand out from other premium smartphones, but this isn't a phone for everybody.
- Capable of spectacular photos.
- Great for monochrome photos.
- Android One means regular updates.
- A great looking phone.
- Priced at the low end of the premium tier.
- Camera can be very slow.
- Older processor.
- No storage expansion.
- No headphone jack.
We're at a stage in smartphone development where most manufacturers don't really take risks. New phones are largely iterative, and while the technology improves in small steps, there's not really much in the way of genuinely new and risky ideas out there.
Without a doubt, the Nokia 9 Pureview is HMD Global's most interesting phone to date. Interesting, however, doesn't lead to a phone that will necessarily appeal to every single buyer.
- Business the front, Beholder at the back.
- Blue colour only.
- In-glass fingerprint sensor is just plain awful.
- No headphone jack.
- Three primary RGB lenses.
- Two monochrome lenses.
- Capable of some amazing photos... with patience.
- Less flexible than competing options.
- A camera for the pros, not the everyday shooter.
- Snapdragon 845 is powerful, but not up to current premium smartphone standards.
- Android One promises plenty of updates.
- 128GB of fixed storage only.
- 3,320mAh battery offers mediocre performance.
- Android One might improve battery life.
- Fast wired charging.
- A truly different smartphone, but not one for everybody.
Pricing and availability
- Available in Australia from 9 May
- $1,099 outright only.
Nokia 9 Pureview
Nokia's camera-centric handset
The Nokia 9 Pureview is all about photography, with an astonishing 5 cameras all shooting at once to help you get superior shots.
The use of an older flagship processor does allow Nokia to offer up the Nokia 9 Pureview at a rather attractive price point for a "flagship" phone. In Australia, it goes on sale from 9 May 2019 through Harvey Norman and JB Hi-Fi with a recommended price point of $1,099. If you're keen on the Nokia 9 Pureview you'll have to buy it outright, with no current carrier options in play.
Nokia 9 Pureview specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5.99 inches|
|Rear camera megapixels||12MP + 12MP + 12MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/1.8 + f/1.8 + f/1.8|
|Front camera megapixels||20MP|
|Front camera aperture size|
|Dimensions||155mm x 75mm x 8mm|
|Network category speed||Category 16|
|Operating system||Android 9|
|External storage support||Up to N/A|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Nokia 9 Pureview
Latest Nokia news
2019's addition to the Nokia 2 smartphone line brings Android One support and an AI-powered camera. Read more…
The Nokia 3.2 sells itself on a low asking price combined with a phenomenally large battery capacity. Read more…
Nokia’s latest affordable handset suffers from slow performance and mediocre battery life. For its price it’s not a bad phone, but it lacks that special something that would make it a compelling option. Read more…