Nokia's reborn Nokia 8110 is distinctive, easy to use and a lot of fun, although anyone used to a smartphone will find its limitations extremely frustrating.
- Eye-catching design
- Works as a 4G hotspot
- Simple operation
- T9 text in a smartphone age is painful
- Camera is ordinary at best
- Pricey for a feature phone
The reborn Nokia 8110 can't – and doesn't – compete with a smartphone, but for the feature phone crowd, this is a great premium choice.
Nokia's rebirth, by way of licensing partner HMD Global, kicked off in 2017 with the surprise reappearance of the Nokia 3310, a classic design that had a lot of nostalgic appeal for anyone who was still keen on the Nokia brand.
2018 saw the Nokia 8110 get the redesign treatment, and the Nokia 8110 4G is finally available on Australian shores. It's a feature phone in 2018, which marks it out as unusual to begin with because the market for feature phones, as distinct from smartphones, is a niche one.
Still, within that niche, it's one of the nicest feature phones money can buy.
- Shaped like a banana, which is fun
- Removable battery
- Micro SIM compatible
- 2MP camera is better than expected
- That's not the same as "good" though
- Predictably slow performance
- T9 text entry makes me want to tear out hair I don't have
- 4G hotspot functionality is super useful
- Great battery life if you keep it simple
- One of the best feature phones you can buy
- Possibly a little pricey for its target market
- Consider your budget smartphone alternatives at this price point
Pricing and availability
Nokia 8110 4G
The banana phone is back
Simple and affordable, the Nokia 8110 4G offers a detox from the complexities of the modern smartphone market.
- The Nokia 8110 4G is available online from retailers like Amazon and Catch as well as at physical stores like JB Hi-Fi.
Nokia 8110 specs
|Display size (inches)||2.45|
|Display resolution (pixels)||320 x 240|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)|
|Battery size (mAh)||1,500|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||2|
|Rear camera (1) aperture|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution|
|Front camera (1) aperture|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Nokia 8110
Latest Nokia news
Should you opt for the Apple iPhone XS or the new Nokia 9 Pureview? Read more…
How does Nokia's flagship Nokia 9 Pureview stack up against the premium Samsung Galaxy S10? Read more…
Nokia's gone all-out with the camera technology in the Nokia 9 Pureview, but how does it compare against the leading Android flagship phones? Read more…