The Nokia 2.1 has its limitations in processing power and camera quality, but its exceptional battery life and attractive design make it an easy recommendation for customers who only need light use from a mobile.
- Attractive design
- Good battery life
- Optimised Android Go apps
- Generally poor app performance
- Camera is slow
The Nokia 2.1 combines attractive design with the simplicity of Android Oreo Go, and the end result is spectacular value.
When HMD Global gave new life to Nokia in 2017, and attacked the budget smartphone market with a range of Android-based handsets, by and large they didn't thrill us. However, during 2018 HMD has released a number of new handsets at similar price points to last year's models that are just that bit more refined. The Nokia 6.1 was a great update to the Nokia 6, and the Nokia 3.1 improved on the Nokia 3 in mostly pleasing ways.
With the Nokia 2.1, HMD Global has taken that sharp refinement to the real budget end of its range, and the results are excellent for the price.
- Removable back
- 5.5-inch display
- Aluminium frame gives a premium feel
- Camera is a notable weak point
- Android Go makes the most from a budget processor
- A good match for basic smartphone users
- Great battery performance
- A surprisingly stylish phone for very little money
- Exceptional battery life makes it stand out
- Not powerful, but good for those who just want basic functions
Pricing and availability
A return to form for the Nokia brand
The Nokia 2.1 makes good on the company's promise of premium style at a budget price for its return to the smartphone market, delivering impressive looks and value at a very agreeable pricepoint.
- You can buy the Nokia 2.1 from online retailers such as Catch and eBay, as well as from stores like Harvey Norman and JB Hi-Fi. Retail price is $199.
|Display size (inches)||5.5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||720x1280|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||267|
|Battery size (mAh)||4,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||8|
|Rear camera (1) aperture|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||N/A|
Latest Nokia news
Should you opt for the Apple iPhone XS or the new Nokia 9 Pureview? Read more…
How does Nokia's flagship Nokia 9 Pureview stack up against the premium Samsung Galaxy S10? Read more…
Nokia's gone all-out with the camera technology in the Nokia 9 Pureview, but how does it compare against the leading Android flagship phones? Read more…