The Nokia 1 is a cheap phone without a doubt, but it's also exceptional value and well-optimised thanks to the inclusion of Android Oreo Go.
- Makes the most of meagre resources
- Removable battery
- Guaranteed security upgrades
- Very slow charging
- Cheap design
- May struggle to find some Wi-Fi networks
- Poor camera
The Nokia 1 is a low-cost phone that's been cheaply built, but the inclusion of Android Oreo Go makes it a far more appealing prospect than it might appear at first glance.
Nokia has a long association with providing affordable phones. While HMD Global now controls the brand for mobile phone use, that association continues since its rebirth through handsets such as the Nokia 3310 3G and now the Nokia 1.
Nokia's numbering system for smartphones is quite simple, with lower number suffixes for simpler, cheaper phones. The Nokia 1 is remarkably inexpensive, and while that does bring with it some significant compromises, it's also one of the best budget handsets we've ever tested.
- Compact and comfortable
- Removable battery is a welcome – and rare – touch
- Slow hardware that struggles with both static and moving shots
- Mediocre, even by budget standards
- Android Oreo Go allows the Nokia 1 to punch well above its weight
- No support for 5GHz Wi-Fi networks is a little odd
- Capable of all-day battery life thanks to Android Oreo Go's fastidious power management
- Charging is frustratingly slow
- The Nokia 1 makes an excellent case for Android Oreo Go and redefines ultra-budget smartphone capabilities
Pricing and availability
Go, Go, Go!
The Nokia 1 proves that a cheap smartphone can still pack quite a few surprises.
- The Nokia 1 retails for $149 and is available from Nokia directly as well as retailers like Kogan and Harvey Norman.
Nokia 1 specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||4.5 inches|
|Resolution||480 x 854|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||218|
|Rear camera megapixels||5MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||N/A|
|Front camera megapixels||2MP|
|Front camera aperture size||N/A|
|Dimensions||133.6mm x 67.8mm x 9.5mm|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
|Operating system||Android Go|
|External storage support||Up to 128GB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Nokia 1
Latest Nokia news
Australia presents unique challenges to 5G networks, so we asked the people spearheading the 5G rollout how they plan on overcoming these obstacles. Read more…
The Nokia 9 Pureview's multi-camera approach makes it stand out from other premium smartphones, but this isn't a phone for everybody. Read more…
$1,099 will score you Nokia's very camera-centric Nokia 9 Pureview handset. Read more…