The Nokia 1 is a cheap phone without a doubt, but it's also exceptional value and well-optimised thanks to the inclusion of Android Oreo Go.
- Makes the most of meagre resources
- Removable battery
- Guaranteed security upgrades
- Very slow charging
- Cheap design
- May struggle to find some Wi-Fi networks
- Poor camera
The Nokia 1 is a low-cost phone that's been cheaply built, but the inclusion of Android Oreo Go makes it a far more appealing prospect than it might appear at first glance.
Nokia has a long association with providing affordable phones. While HMD Global now controls the brand for mobile phone use, that association continues since its rebirth through handsets such as the Nokia 3310 3G and now the Nokia 1.
Nokia's numbering system for smartphones is quite simple, with lower number suffixes for simpler, cheaper phones. The Nokia 1 is remarkably inexpensive, and while that does bring with it some significant compromises, it's also one of the best budget handsets we've ever tested.
- Compact and comfortable
- Removable battery is a welcome – and rare – touch
- Slow hardware that struggles with both static and moving shots
- Mediocre, even by budget standards
- Android Oreo Go allows the Nokia 1 to punch well above its weight
- No support for 5GHz Wi-Fi networks is a little odd
- Capable of all-day battery life thanks to Android Oreo Go's fastidious power management
- Charging is frustratingly slow
- The Nokia 1 makes an excellent case for Android Oreo Go and redefines ultra-budget smartphone capabilities
Pricing and availability
Go, Go, Go!
The Nokia 1 proves that a cheap smartphone can still pack quite a few surprises.
- The Nokia 1 retails for $149 and is available from Nokia directly as well as retailers like Kogan and Harvey Norman.
Nokia 1 specs
|Display size (inches)||4.5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||854 x 480|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||218|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,150|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||5|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||N/A|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||2|
|Front camera (1) aperture||N/A|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Nokia 1
Latest Nokia news
Should you opt for the Apple iPhone XS or the new Nokia 9 Pureview? Read more…
How does Nokia's flagship Nokia 9 Pureview stack up against the premium Samsung Galaxy S10? Read more…
Nokia's gone all-out with the camera technology in the Nokia 9 Pureview, but how does it compare against the leading Android flagship phones? Read more…