Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Why you can’t use e-tax in 2016


What free options do you have if you want to submit your 2016 tax return online?

Last year, around 1.25 million Australians used the free e-tax software package from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to lodge their tax returns. This year nobody has that option, as e-tax, first introduced in 1999, has officially been retired.

If you want to submit your own tax return online, your sole option is now the browser-based myTax. myTax was originally introduced in 2014, but at first was only recommended if you had very simple tax affairs (such as a single job and only basic deductions such as charity donations).

Now the platform has been expanded so it can handle the same range of scenarios as e-tax. One key change has been the introduction of options to allow deductions for rental properties, which will be good news for those Australians who are using negative gearing to reduce their tax bills.

Moving the focus to myTax is a sensible progression, since a browser-based system can work on any computer, smartphone or tablet, regardless of its operating system. For most of its life, e-tax was a Windows-only affair, though a Mac version was belatedly introduced in 2013. Moving to a single browser-based system should save the ATO a bundle on development costs, and also eliminates the criticism that it's not making services available for all Australians.

That said, the vast majority of Australians won't end up using myTax anyway. ATO statistics suggest that 74% of Australians end up using an accountant or other tax preparation service to submit their return.

This year, the ATO has said it will be focusing on rental property and general employment deductions. So whether you use an accountant or go DIY with myTax, make sure you're following the rules.

Angus Kidman's Findings column looks at new developments and research that help you save money, make wise decisions and enjoy your life more. It appears Monday through Friday on

Picture: ATO

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our 1. Terms Of Service and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

3 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    RobJuly 5, 2016

    Whats wrong with the ATO. Cant they cope with the workload of online Tax Returns??

    Default Gravatar
    RonJuly 5, 2016

    If a person or company go’s bankrupt I understand the ATO can only recover tax owning as a unsecured group or after the secure groups as a bank who may have a covenant or none register covenant or mortgage on a property. Is this true or where could i find out about.

      ElizabethJuly 6, 2016Finder

      Hi Ron,

      I can’t advise on your personal situation, but if you have any queries regarding bankruptcy you can contact the Australian Securities and Investments Commission on 1300 364 785 or you can call the free financial counseling service on 1800 007 007.

      You can also take a look at our guide on bankruptcy for some general information.

      I hope this helps,


Go to site