New Zealand tours and companies for your big Kiwi adventure 2021
Explore the Land of the Long White Cloud led by the best guides in the country.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Adventurous activities such as bungee jumping and canyoning blend with a landscape of mountains, volcanoes, rivers and glaciers in the captivating country that is New Zealand.
Ideal for relaxation, road trips and adrenaline fixes, whatever your flavour, New Zealand has something for everyone.
Not sure where to start? We've rounded up the top tour companies and tours that can help you savour the experience.
Our top 3 sites to book New Zealand tours
All-inclusive luxury comes standard with your Scenic tour. That's stylish accommodation, a wide range of dining options and exclusive activities such as America's Cup Sailing experiences. Tours of New Zealand feature a combination of land, boat and air transportation to whisk you away in the most memorable way.
Compare tours in New Zealand
Best for Lord of the Rings tours:
- Hobbiton Tours: For the full movie set experience, you can't go past Hobbiton tours. Its located in Hobbiton on the North Island and includes the iconic "Movie Set" tour. Stick around for an Evening Banquet tour or make yours a special one with a private tour.
- Discover New Zealand: For a more in-depth lay of the land, Discover New Zealand offers tours across the country and highlights the landscape locations from the films.
- Viator: For tours as short at 70 minutes to as long as 2 days, Viator houses a range of tours throughout the country so you can pick and choose your favourites while exploring the nation your own way.
Best for glacier tours:
- Stray Tours: Hit up Stray Tours' winter expeditions for gnarly treks on New Zealand's most famous glaciers.
- G Adventures: Adventure is G Adventures' last name… literally! Hone in on its active offerings for thrills like hiking, biking, horseback riding and glacier trekking all in one tour package.
- Viator: For day trips up to specific glaciers, Viator collects the best and lets you book up-to-the-wire. Tours include helicopter rides, heli hikes and kayak adventures near the glaciers.
Best for singles:
- Contiki: Travel with like-minded souls aged 18 to 35 years old on adventure-filled itineraries.
- G Adventures: With tour groups no larger than 16 people, expect tight friendships to be made on G Adventures tours.
- Intrepid: People of all ages book Intrepid for its welcome atmosphere and adventurous mentality. Solo travellers are offered single supplements for a fee.
Best for winter and snow trips:
- Haka Tours: Spend seven days on a snow safari, hopping between resorts. There's even a heli tour for those keen to explore backcountry.
- Contiki: Plant yourself in Queenstown for a week to hone your skills on New Zealand's most renowned slopes.
- Flying Kiwi: With a snow tour that's been top rated by National Geographic, expect unique accommodation, most meals and board and the chance to push the powder of four ski fields.
Popular New Zealand tour routes
New Zealand is broken up into two islands, the North Island and the South Island. In the North you'll find Auckland, WETA Studios/Hobbiton, Rotorua and Wellington. In the South is Christchurch, Dunedin, Queenstown, Lake Tekapo and Milford Sound.
Most people choose to focus their holiday on one or the other, although it's possible to see and do it all with enough time as the islands are connected by ferry.
New Zealand's North Island is the choice for Lord of the Rings fanatics, volcanic encounters such as mud pools and crater hikes and uniquely Kiwi sports like Zorbing which can only be done in the North.
Although glow worms can be seen in the South Island, they're more famous in the North in Waitomo due to its extensive cave network.
Northern Choice: Wellington to Auckland from Contiki
Spend 10 days as a culture vulture, indulging in traditional dance and meals, biking picturesque tracks, climbing volcanic peaks and gazing upon imposing Kauri trees which stand 50 metres tall.
- Tour company: Contiki
- Best for: Youths, first-timers, those who love the great outdoors
- Length of tour: 10 days
When people say New Zealand is the adventure capital of the world, they're really talking about the South Island. It's where Queenstown and its bevy of activities like canyon swinging, white water rafting, skiing and glacier hiking are.
South Island Lick Tour from TourRadar
Lick the tip of the South Island's iceberg which hits Christchurch, MacKenzie Country, Queenstown, Wanaka and Franz Josef armed with a knowledgeable guide and enjoyable activities.
- Tour company: Haka Tours
- Best for: Adventure seekers, families
- Length of tour: 7 days
North to South (or vice versa)
Is FOMO getting the better of you? An all-encompassing North and South Island tour lets you see and do it all (or at least the important highlights) so you can leave feeling confident you can tick New Zealand off your bucket list. That, or use it as a taster for a more in-depth trip next time round!
Ultimate Explorer from Auckland from TourRadar
Highly rated by National Geographic, the Ultimate Explorer doesn't miss a beat capturing the landscape in all its glory from Fox Glacier and Abel Tasman National Park to Rotorua and Mount Cook.
- Tour company: Flying Kiwi
- Best for: In-depth discovery
- Length of tour: 28 days
How long do I need in New Zealand?
Depending on your agenda, you could spend 3 to 7 days exploring a section of New Zealand, 10 days dedicated to one island or 14+ days taking in all the country has to offer.
Our pick: Best 5 day tour:
Queenstown Otago Rail Trail from TourRadar
When in Queenstown, the thing to do is be active and this 5-day cycling tour does just that, letting you explore the lay of the land on two wheels. It travels from Queenstown to Christchurch via Dunedin.
- Tour company: Adventure South
- Best for: Active adventures
- Places visited: Queenstown, Clyde, Ranfurly, Dunedin, Christchurch
Our pick: Best 7 day tour
Ultimate NZ Ski from Contiki
Tired of the Aussie ski fields? Searching for a fresh run? New Zealand is home to some of the Southern Hemisphere's best ski resorts and with Contiki you can hit the slopes with like-minded travellers, accommodation and meals all in tow.
- Tour company: Contiki
- Best for: Snow trips
- Places visited: Queenstown
Our pick: Best 10 day tour
North Island encompassed from G Adventures
Forest walks, snorkelling, glow worm hunting, white water rafting and spa relaxing await you on the country's North Island.
- Tour company: G Adventures
- Best for: Small groups and in-depth tours
- Places visited: Auckland, Bay of Islands, Raglan, Rotorua, Lake Taupo and Wellington.
Amplified New Zealand tour from TourRadar
Blaze across the country, starting in Auckland and ending in Christchurch, ticking off all the bucket-list items from the geysers and mud pools in Rotorua and the Church of the Good Shepherd to the waterfalls of Milford Sound and the glaciers of Franz Josef.
- Tour company: Haka Tours
- Best for: In-depth discovery
- Places visited: Auckland, Coromandel, Waitomo, Rotorua, Murupara, Taupo, Wellington, Kaikoura, Christchurch, MacKenzie Country, Queenstown, Wanaka, Franz Josef.
Latest deals for New Zealand tours, flights and more
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|20 Jan 2021||Up to 15% off Australia rentals||HOL****|
|14 Dec 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|2 Dec 2020||Up to 10% off international flights with code||MAS****|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|22 May 2020||Extra 9% off hotel bookings||AUT****|
Feature image: Contiki
More guides on Finder
Campervan hire in New Zealand | Where to book, what to know
Take your exploration to the next level with this guide to campervan hire in New Zealand.
Where to buy sporting and recreational products with Zip Pay | Full list 2021
Get a head start on your next adventure thanks to the online retailers offering Zip Pay.
9 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
8 picture-perfect Cairns resorts to book for 2021
Lose yourself in the top accommodation tropical north Queensland has to offer.
Best places to visit in the Northern Territory in 2021
Unique cultural experiences and picturesque natural wonders await in these six destinations. Plus, our top picks on the territory's best camp sites.
Where to book virtual tours and experiences
Travel the world from your living room with online tours and experiences hosted by locals and experts. Here’s where to book them.
Best places to visit in South Australia
Discover tourist hotspots like Adelaide and Kangaroo Valley and best kept secrets such as the Yorke Peninsula and Mount Gambier on your next trip around South Australia.
Guided virtual tours: Reviewed | A couple of travel makers
Armchair around the world with these virtual tours, complete with tour guides that answer your questions in real time. Here's seven that we tested out and loved.
11 remote Airbnbs you can work from in 2021
From tiny houses to luxurious beachfront properties and rainforest cottages, see our top choices for remote Airbnbs to work from in Australia.
8 travel companies where your deposit lasts a lifetime (or at least a long time)
Lock in your next adventure today with a tour deposit that you can use towards another date or a different destination if you need to change your plans later.
Ask an Expert