Cheap flights to New Zealand for 2020
Discover deals and sales on flights to New Zealand from Australia.
The reasons for Australians to visit their closest neighbour are endless with vast national parks, towering mountains, rolling coastline, outdoor pursuits and world-renowned wine to name a few.
Direct flights operate from four airports on Australia's east coast to four destinations across New Zealand. Visitors can also fly indirectly to and from Australia to the North Island and South Island. We've got a guide that will help you decide what airline to fly with, the smoothest transport options and flight deals to New Zealand.
How much you can expect to pay for cheap flights to New Zealand
Here's what's considered to be a good deal compared to the average cost of a flight from Australia to New Zealand.
Flights from New Zealand to Melbourne
Flights from New Zealand to SydneyFlights from New Zealand to BrisbaneFlights to New Zealand to Perth
New Zealand flight times
- From Sydney: Approximately 3 hrs+ when flying direct to Auckland International Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 3 hrs 35 mins+ when flying direct to Auckland International Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 3 hrs 05 mins+ when flying direct to Auckland International Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 9 hrs + when flying direct to Auckland International Airport
Airlines that fly to New Zealand
- Air New Zealand
- Virgin Australia
- You can fly direct to Auckland, Christchurch, Queenstown and Wellington from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Gold Coast airports. Direct flights are also available from Norfolk Island to Auckland and between the countries' capitals' of Canberra and Wellington.
- Jetstar usually has the cheapest flights to New Zealand but basic fares only includes your seat and hand luggage, so you will be charged extra for additional baggage, entertainment and food. Qantas and Emirates include 30kg of checked baggage in their basic economy fares.
- There's a free bus or a 10-minute walkway between the International and Domestic terminals at Auckland Airport for those taking an indirect flight to their destination.
Visitors travelling to the respective cities can do so easily via public transport, private airport shuttles or taxis from New Zealand's four major international airports: Auckland (AKL), Chirstchurch (CHC), Queenstown (ZGN) and Wellington (WLG). You can pre-book transfers online or decide what option works best for you when you arrive. The major airports are all in close proximity to the city centre, except for Auckland, which takes up to an hour. Taxis can be a cheaper option if travelling in a group.
You can undoubtedly get the best out of your holiday in New Zealand by choosing to self-drive. Many rental companies let you pick up a car or campervan directly from the airport terminal. The hills and windy roads give visitors some of the most impressive views of the scenery that New Zealand is famous for.
Ask an Expert