Do you find it difficult to make a New Year’s resolution? Check out these secrets to making a resolution you can stick to.
A New Year’s resolution is about making a promise to yourself to change negative habits into positive ones. A new year is a time for hope and change, so it’s the perfect time of year to think about changing some habits for the better in your life.
What tools can help you plan a successful New Year’s resolution?
The following products can help you in your desire to successfully achieve your goals:
Diaries can help you plan your resolution more effectively on a daily, weekly or monthly level.
Paperchase A5 Week To View Dreamscape Fox 2015 Diary
Paperchase A5 Patchwork Paris 2015 Diary
Long Range Planner A4
Mum's Family Calendar 2015
Angus & Robertson
Books can help you work towards your resolution. Here are some ideas:
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
It's Your Monday - Avoid Costly Mistakes
The Power of Now
Delicious Love to Eat: Around the World in 120 Simply Delicious Recipes
Angus & Robertson
The Art Therapy Colouring Book
The Book Depository
Thinking, Fast and Slow
The Book Depository
Check out these motivational films for some inspiration:
Groundhog Day / Stripes
It's a Wonderful Life / White Christmas
Into the Wild
Best online retailers to help you with your New Year’s resolution
|As always, if you want it, they’ve got it. Amazon caters for everyone and is the first port of call when you’re shopping online.||One of Australia's best book shops, Booktopia has the inspirational words you need to keep your resolution all year long.||Innovations is a general merchandise retailer that offers a unique range of products.|
|View details||View details||View details|
|Stock up on inspirational movies from DVD Land’s impressive range.||When your New Year's resolution is to be fit and healthy, you can't go past Rebel Sport for all the products you'll need toward a healthier you.||This huge online department store offer everything from fitness equipment to electronics and toys and games. You’ll find something for every resolution.|
|View details||View details|
How to set a successful New Year’s resolution
Many of us still believe in making New Year’s resolutions but very few will really stick to them for very long. But if you are determined to make positive changes in your life, here are a few tips of how to make and stick to a New Year’s resolution:
- Make measurable goals. It is vital that your goals can be measured quantitatively. As an example, you could make a goal of totally quitting smoking or to not be absent from class any more than five times for the whole semester. These are goals which can be easily measured.
- Formulate sensible goals. Though you will always desire to reach your full capacity, you should also consider that there are constraints that will affect the fulfillment of your goals. For example, your goal of working out every day would be a great achievement, but if you have a full-time job and a family to care for than you might not have enough time to spare.
- Make your own goal. Most of the New Year’s resolutions which succeed are those that are vital to you or are those which you do personally, but those goals which are duplicated from others will fail. For instance, if your goal is to work out two times a week because you believe it’ll help create a healthier you, your chances of success are good. But if your friends told you to change it to working out three times a week so that you can lose more weight, this goal is more likely to fail because you don’t own it.
- Don’t make too many goals. The fewer tasks you’re doing, the more likely that you will succeed in making it a habit. The same is true with resolutions.
How to keep a New Year’s resolution?
Create your resolution cautiously so that it will result in the smooth implementation of your goals. If your New Year’s resolution is to quit smoking, you will have a good year if you adhere to your resolution faithfully. Here are some suggested ways to help keep your resolution:
- Inform others about your resolution. You should not keep your resolution secret but inform others, especially your loved ones and friends. These are the people who will help you keep your goal.
- Assess the pros and cons. Write the pros and cons of your resolution on paper to increase your level of consciousness and motivation. Continue to add to this list over a period of time by adding, deleting or revising some items which will conform to your goals.
- Watch your improvement. Be aware of each little success as short-term goals are easier to keep. These small attainments will encourage you to continue.
- Never be guilty. You should not feel guilty about the occasional failure. This will happen from time to time so don’t let it bring you down.
- Stay away from bad influences. You will never obtain social support from negative friends and instead some will become a bad influence and will pull you down.
- Avoid negative thoughts. You should make efforts to remove negative thoughts from your mind as these are the major obstacles to keeping your resolution.
- Take out potential obstacles. In the beginning, spot and remove some potential obstacles. These may be a lack of time, a lack of motivation, being mentally unprepared and so on.
- Hold on to your goals. Studies have shown that it takes about 21 days for a new activity to become a habit and about six months for it to become part of you. Fulfilling your goals will not happen overnight, so carry on and endure until new behaviours and attitudes become second nature.
- Carry on. If you are worn out even in the first few months of the year, don’t despair but always keep your goal in mind . Continue to move on in spite of any failures.
- Give yourself a break. When you achieve some initial successes, give yourself a break by having a celebration. Delight yourself with something to enjoy which will not harm your New Year’s resolution. If you have been keeping your promise of regularly going to the gym, for example, give yourself a reward with new sports clothing.
Why shop at finder.com.au for your New Year’s resolution?
- A wide range of retailers. Finder.com.au brings numerous top retailers together in one place so you will always get what you are looking for to organise your office.
- One-stop resource centre. You will get great ideas on how to make your office organised all on one site.
- Shop anytime, anywhere. You will not need to drive to your favourite store to make purchases; in fact, you can shop in your bed while still in your pyjamas.
- Promo codes and coupons. Here at finder.com.au we love to hoard coupons so you can save money off your purchases. Always check if your purchases are eligible one so you can more value out of your money.