Is your New Year’s resolution to live healthier? Follow these simple tips to achieve your weight-loss goals.
Every one of us wants a healthier life, especially at the start of a new year. We always reflect on what happened and what went wrong during the past year.
When it comes to our health, we can achieve a happier and more successful life by making a New Year’s resolution. Admittedly this is not an easy task, as the human mind is not easily persuaded to change old habits and even your body will find difficulty in making the adjustments.
But with a disciplined and determined approach, you can stick to your New Year’s resolution to be healthy.
Accomplishing your New Year’s resolution of becoming healthy would be a tough task without a guide to follow. Below are some handy tips to help you become healthy for the rest of your life, not just for a few months.
- Decide to be healthy. The battle always starts in your mind. You should resolve first in your head that you are committed to becoming healthy throughout the whole year.
- Start cutting your food intake. Reducing your food intake will reduce your weight. One of the best ways to cut down on how much you eat is to simply reduce the size of your plate. Research has shown that serving meals on smaller plates will help you control overeating.
- Consume foods with lots of antioxidants. Antioxidants strengthen your body’s defences against free radicals which cause diseases. Some foods with high levels of antioxidants are citrus fruits, pomegranates and coffee.
- Reduce sodium consumption. Aside from aiding water retention, sodium can also raise your blood pressure. Processed foods are high in sodium, so read food labels closely to understand exactly what you’re putting into your body.
- Stay active. One of the secrets of looking trim and terrific is keeping active. Whether you’re walking, jogging, doing light home physical exercises or a gym workout, the idea is to burn calories and lose weight.
- Break that smoking habit. Medical studies have shown that smoking can be incredibly harmful to our health. Giving up the smokes can have a huge range of health benefits, so including quitting smoking in your New Year’s resolution is a great idea.
- Exposure to sunlight. As many Australians are all too aware, sun exposure can cause skin cancer, brown spots and even the appearance of wrinkles before their time. Protect your skin when going outside by wearing highly protective sunscreen, especially during the middle of the day.
- Develop the habit of daily light exercise at home. You need only need to do about 10 minutes of light exercise each day to gain more energy, strengthen your bones and speed up your metabolism. Exercises such as push-ups, squats, lunges and planks are great places to start.
What tools can help you plan a successful New Year’s resolution?
Achieving your New Year’s resolution of being healthy would be difficult without the right tools for the job:
- Exercise equipment and technology
- Healthier living books and movies
- Exercise clothing
Best online retailers to help you with your New Year’s resolution
Rebel Sport from rebel Sport
Rebel Sport is one of Australia's leading retailers of sporting and leisure equipment. This is the ideal place to stock up on any fitness equipment, sporting goods, or exercise apparel.View details
The Iconic from THE ICONIC
The Iconic has a huge range of men's and women's stylish fitness apparel, whether your activity of choice is yoga, running, or just heading to the beach.View details
The Book Depository from The Book Depository
What's a healthy resolution without a healthy cookbook to get you started? The Book Depository has thousands of books at cheaper prices than you would find in store.View details
Weight Watchers from Weight Watchers
Hey, it's okay if you want the extra support of a proven program like Weight Watchers. Make 2015 the year you get fit for good.View details
City Beach from City Beach
City Beach is more than just surf and skater fashion. They have a pretty decent exercise gear section, too plus, nothing gets you fit like learning how to surf.View details