Ring in 2018 with fireworks and parties on New Year’s Eve in Perth.
Perth celebrates New Year’s Eve in style with fireworks and events along the famous Swan River, Rottnest Island, Mandurah and on the banks of the Cannington River.
If you have children, there's family-friendly shows earlier in the night. If you’re having a night out with grown-ups only, party until the new year on a cruise, get tickets to the city's hottest parties or get down to Swan River for the midnight fireworks.
Whether you are a local or a visitor to Western Australia’s capital, use this guide to plan the big night.
Image: Experience Perth
Where to watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks
While details for the 2017/2018 New Year's Eve fireworks shows haven't been announced yet, here's what's happened in Perth for the 2016/2017 event, which we expect a similar schedule to.
- Swan River. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. The events at Swan River are the largest in Perth and Greater Perth with lots of vantage points to view the fireworks display. Take a cruise for front-row seats under the stars or soak up the atmosphere in family-friendly celebrations at King’s Park or the NYE on the Foreshore festival in East Perth.
- Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. Rockingham always throws a big family-friendly event for New Year’s Eve, and this year will be no exception. The foreshore in Churchill Park will host a fair, children’s entertainment and food stalls to keep everyone going throughout the night.
- Mandurah. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. Mandurah will also host family-friendly events with a silent disco, children’s entertainment and food stalls.
- Rottnest Island. Fireworks at 9pm. The early show allows the little ones to join in the fun before they get off to bed in time. Adults can kick up their heels throughout the night at one of the many parties and discos hosted by one of Western Australia’s most famous tourist attractions.
New Year’s Eve cruises
Make the evening a special one with a river cruise and take in one of Perth’s most beautiful features – the city’s waterways – as you celebrate 2018.
- Afloat Cruises: Hop aboard a five-hour cruise with a package complete with an open bar (spirits, sparkling and still wine, beer and soft drinks) and cocktail-style dining. There will be a DJ playing all night long and you'll be able to watch both the sunset and the midnight fireworks form aboard the boat. Tickets are $199.
- Captain Cook Cruises: Join in on an 18+ Swan River cocktail cruise, taking in the Perth Skyline and midnight fireworks. The 4-hour sailing includes hot and cold canapes and a premium wine, beer and soft drink package. Tickets are $229.
Events and parties on New Year's Eve in Perth
Looking for a party? These venues have already announced their 2017/2018 events:
- Foreshore NYE: Ring in the new year at a riverfront party complete with food trucks, cocktail bars and brews and wines from local vineyards and breweries. There will also be local bands, DJs, an acoustic VIP stage, silent disco and roving performers to top off the night. Tickets from $39.80. VIP tickets from $159.80, which includes drinks, dinner and private bar access.
- New Year's Eve on Rottnest Island: Perfect for families, this event has roving entertainment, face painters with glow-in-the-dark paint and a 9pm fireworks display. Free event once on the island.
- The Great Gatsby night at The Vines Resort: Join a Great Gatsby-themed party at a vineyard from 7pm complete with canapes and drinks followed by dinner and more drinks. There will be a DJ playing all night and glitter cannons at midnight. While this one is a little bit outside Perth and doesn't have views of the fireworks, it's worth it. Tickets are $160. 18+ only.
- Graduation Party at the Court: Pegged to be the biggest party in the history of the Court. Dress up as cheerleaders and jocks for this party set to old-school music from the 80s, 90s and beyond. Tickets from $27.
- The Wedding Singer New Year's Eve: The Spaniard Tapas Bar in the CBD will be putting on an 80s themed New Year's Eve event, which includes four hours of drinks, canapes and plenty of paella. Tickets from $94.
- One Night in Vegas at Pagoda Resort: All the glitz and glamour of Las Vegas is coming to Perth for one night, complete with the King of Rock. The event includes canapes, drinks and a 3-course dinner. Tickets from $195.
More venues have announced that they'll be holding events, but ticket prices and details haven't been announced yet. These are a few of the venues with events we found:
- Wolf Lane
- The Aviary
Keep an eye out for deals on New Year’s Eve cruises and other activities in Perth and watch these sites:
Where to stay on New Year’s Eve in Perth
Mandurah Private Collection
Pan Pacific Perth
Hyatt Regency Perth
Fraser Suites Perth