Ring in 2018 with fireworks and parties on New Year’s Eve in Perth.
Every year, Perth celebrates New Year’s Eve in style with fireworks and events along the famous Swan River, Rottnest Island, Mandurah and on the banks of the Cannington River.
If you have children, go for one of the early family-friendly shows. If you’re having a night out with grown-ups only, consider a cruise or get down to Swan River for the midnight fireworks.
Whether you are a local or a visitor to Western Australia’s capital, use this guide to plan the big night.
Image: Experience Perth
Looking for somewhere to stay on New Year's Eve in Perth, Mandurah and Rockingham?
Where to watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks
While details for the 2017 shows haven't been announced yet, here's what's happened in Perth on past New Year's Eves.
- Swan River. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. The events at Swan River are the largest in Perth and Greater Perth with lots of vantage points to view the fireworks display. Take a cruise for front-row seats under the stars or soak up the atmosphere in family-friendly celebrations at King’s Park or the NYE on the Foreshore festival in East Perth.
- Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. Rockingham always throws a big family-friendly event for New Year’s Eve, and this year will be no exception. The foreshore in Churchill Park will host a fair, children’s entertainment and food stalls to keep everyone going throughout the night.
- Mandurah. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. Mandurah will also host family-friendly events with a silent disco, children’s entertainment and food stalls.
- Cannington. Fireworks at midnight. Cannington Greyhounds on the banks of the Cannington River will throw a New Year’s Eve bash with races, children’s entertainment and rides. Children younger than 18 are allowed in for free but must be with an adult.
- Rottnest Island. Fireworks at 9pm. The early show allows the little ones to join in the fun before they get off to bed in time. Adults can kick up their heels throughout the night at one of the many parties and discos hosted by one of Western Australia’s most famous tourist attractions.
New Year’s Eve cruises
Make the evening a special one with a river cruise and take in one of Perth’s most beautiful features – the city’s waterways – as you celebrate 2018. Here are some companies that have offered New Year's Eve cruises in the past:
- Captain Cook Cruises is one of the leading Swan River cruise providers, and it’s a great choice for a New Year’s Eve party. The 4.5 hour long cruise includes canapes, a buffet dinner with drinks and live music all night.
- Private river cruises are available through reservation from Pelican Charters, Swan Cruises, Tour Chief and Night Cruiser. Prices and programs are available on request.
New Year's Eve Perth events
Looking for a party? These venues held events in 2016, and we're expecting to see similar parties thrown this year.
Image: Midnight in Cali
- Streets Happy Zoo Year @ Perth Zoo: Each year Perth Zoo hosts a wild night in for kids filled with roving entertainment and activities. Running from 5pm-9pm, the night is capped off with the spectacular 9pm fireworks display.
- New Year's Eve Concert @ Core Cider House: As the sun sets on your classy evening in, the sound of Adam Hall and the Velvet Playboys will fill the skies. Held on the Core Cider House, remember to bring your blanket and settle in for this night under the stars.
- New Year's Eve Masquerade Countdown @ Novotel Vines Resort: Drink in the sunset from behind your decadent mask as you swan about the Vine Resort, cocktail in hand and dinner on the horizon. Then, stick around for the after party and the glitter cannons at the stroke of midnight.
- New Year's Eve Chicago Extravaganza Party @ Pagoda: Start your 2017 surrounded by luxury and the glitz and glamour of the roaring 20s in Pagoda's historic ballroom. On the menu is a Chicago-themed night of food, drinks, music and dancing. Like you'd expect anything else.
- Timewarp @ Joondalup Resort: This resort escape is welcoming the new year with live cabaret performances, aerial displays and a timewarp of music that spans decades.
- Midnight in Cali @ Guildford Hotel: The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day at this Californian-inspired event. This is where the dreamers count down the minutes until the new year, with an espresso martini in hand, naturally. Oh, and did we mention the In-N-Out cheeseburger bar?
- Sequins and Suits @ Esplanade Hotel Fremantle: Suit up or whack on the sparkles and get ready to party from dusk till well, 1am at this stellar cocktail party. Expect canapes, DJs, drinks, photobooths and a special "midnight surprise".
- Vienna Pops New Year's Eve Champagne Concert: It wouldn't be New Year's without at a concert spectacular at Perth Concert Hall. 2016/17's edition features Mark Coughlan's Vienna Pops Orchestra and a buffet dinner timed to conclude minutes before the midnight fireworks.