What to do on New Year’s Eve in Perth 2020/2021
Ring in 2021 with fireworks and parties on New Year's Eve in Perth.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
Perth celebrates New Year's Eve in style with fireworks and events along the famous Swan River, Rottnest Island, Mandurah and on the banks of the Cannington River.
If you have children, there are family-friendly shows earlier in the night. If you're having a night out with grown-ups only, you can dance until the new year on a cruise, get tickets to the city's hottest parties or head to Swan River for the midnight fireworks.
Whether you're a local or a visitor to Western Australia’s capital, use this guide to plan your big night.
Where to watch the New Year's Eve Perth fireworks
Locations to watch the Perth New Year's Eve fireworks in 2020 are quickly being confirmed. Here's where to lay down your picnic mat for a sensational end to 2020.
- Northbridge, Perth Cultural Centre and Yagan Square: Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. The events in Northbridge are hosted by the City of Perth and include family-friendly entertainment and activities as well as the 9pm and midnight fireworks off the Northbridge's rooftops.
- Crown Perth and Swan River adjacent to Raffles Hotel: Fireworks at midnight. Two of the biggest hotels along the Swan River will light up at midnight for the new year.
- Rottnest Island. Fireworks at 9pm. The early show allows the little ones to join in the fun before they go off to bed. The fireworks take flight from Thomson Bay and there's reduced admission to the island for the day and late-night ferries to get you back home and in bed in 2021.
These spots typically host their own fireworks displays but have cancelled their events for the year.
- Rockingham: Fireworks at 9pm and midnight (cancelled for 2020). Rockingham always throws a big family-friendly event for New Year's Eve. The foreshore in Churchill Park will host a fair, children's entertainment and food stalls to keep everyone going throughout the night.
- Mandurah. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight (cancelled for 2020). Mandurah hosts family-friendly events with a silent disco, children's entertainment and food stalls. Stay on the foreshore for the best view.
- Cannington. Fireworks at midnight (cancelled for 2020). Cannington Greyhounds on the banks of the Cannington River throws a New Year’s Eve bash with races, children's entertainment, rides and a live band. Children younger than 18 are allowed in for free but must be with an adult.
New Year’s Eve cruises in Perth
Make the evening a special one with a river cruise and take in one of Perth’s most beautiful features – the city’s waterways – as you celebrate 2021.
- Captain Cook Cruise. Join in on an 18+ Swan River cruise, taking in the Perth Skyline and midnight fireworks. It departs Perth at 8pm and features a buffet dinner, premium drinks package and DJ entertainment. Tickets are $269pp.
- Pirate Ship Mandurah. Arrr me hearties! If sailing the high seas with your crew of young and old(er) is what ye have in mind then board the Pirate Ship Mandurah on New Year's Eve. It starts at 7:30pm and takes you on a Christmas Lights Tour from the water before they settle in for the kids 9pm fireworks. Tickets from $40pp.
- Exclusive Charters. Don't party with strangers at the end of 2020. Instead, up your game and hire a private charter to take you and your mates around on the evening. Drinks, meals and entertainment can be organised. Prices on request.
- The Raft. Celebrate 2021 as you sip on wine, canapés and more this New Year's Eve. Dress code is white attire.
- Crystal Swan. Set sail from Elizabeth Quay on a New Year's Eve cruise with all the trimmings. That's a 5-hour cruise, welcome drink, mains, dessert, photo booth, resident DJ and a midnight countdown. Sold out.
Is your cruise missing from this list?
Events and parties on New Year's Eve in Perth
Looking for a party? These venues have already announced their 2020/2021 events:
- New Year's Eve on Rottnest Island. Perfect for families, this event has roving entertainment and children's activities from 4pm. Free event once on the island.
- New Year's Eve on the Rocks. Headlined by the incredible Amanda Dee and supported by an 8-piece band, forget ringing in the new year... you'll be singing in the new year at this annual concert event. BYO picnic, refreshments and dance shoes. Tickets $65.
- New Year's Eve at DoubleTree by Hilton Northbridge. Love is in the air at DoubleTree with a luxe way to end the year. Settle in at the lounge bar then fill up on oysters, champagne, grazing platters and a selection of hot shared dishes. Five hours of free-flowing wine and beer will keep you merry until the clock strikes 12. $180pp. Limited accommodation also available.
- NYE Poolside Party @DoubleTree by Hilton Perth Northbridge. Care to mingle? For a more relaxed atmosphere at DoubleTree by Hilton book a spot at its Poolside Party. Starting at 7pm and running until 1:30am there will be a complimentary cocktail on arrival before you tuck into 4 hours of free-flowing wines, champagne and beers, cocktail-style canapes, a dessert tasting bar and live entertainment. Tickets from $155pp.
- New Year's Eve Golden Glamour. The place to party like royalty? None other than The Ritz-Carlton. This glitzy venue is hosting a glamourous affair of live music, gourmet canapes, champagne beverages and Elizabeth Quay views. Jealous? Veuve Cliquot Package $399pp, Dom Perignon Package $699pp.
- Petition New Year's Eve. Ring in the new year enjoying a delicious 5-course share menu with your nearest and dearest. Because who needs the crowds, amirite? Early seating from $98pp, late seating from $150pp.
- Wildflower New Year's Eve Dinner. Rooms with a view don't get too much better than at Wildflower. Perched on the edge of the Swan River this terrace restaurant captures the city skyline from all the best angles. Choose between a 4-course seating menu or a 6-course tasting experience. Early seating from $125pp, late seating from $195pp.
- New Year's Eve at Post. Say a big fat "ciao" to 2020 at this Italian eatery over either a 3-course meal in the early evening or a 5-course tasting experience as the day edges toward midnight. 3-course early seating from $98pp, 5-course late seating from $150pp.
- New Year's Eve at Rendezvous Hotel Perth Scarborough. What could be more romantic than soaking up the last sunset of the year? Nothing, that's what. The place to be? The Rendezvous Scarborough's Strait's Cafe. The fare? A seafood buffet complete with a glass of sparkling on arrival and a chocolate fountain to polish the year off. You know you want in. Tickets from $39pp.
- Long Chim New Year's Eve. Lovers of Thai cuisine should make their booking at the esteemed Long Chim. With restaurants across the nation, this chain has made a delicious name for itself and to celebrate the end of the year, its Perth venue has added DJ tunes and Thai-inspired cocktails to its menu. Set menu $120pp.
- Jundalup Resort. Dancing, dinner and entertainment are all part of the itinerary at Joondalup Resort & Country Club. You'll be well sated here with a delicious buffet, and extra merry with a 5-hour beverage package and entertainment by Famous Sharron. This is an 18+ only event. Tickets from $159pp.
- New Year's Eve Parties at The Windsor Hotel. This is for anyone looking for a cheap night on the town. For $10 you can dance till you drop at the Garden Bar Disco Prohibition Soiree while for free you can let your hair down to Claire Fahie and its band at Mends St Hangin' Loose Party. Pick your party. Free - $10.
- NYE at Prince Lane. Work your way through three levels of party revellers and make this year count. The higher you go, the bigger the party (and the more prestigious the ticket). Stay at the public bar for a relaxed one, climb to Glamour Bar where there'll be live entertainment, roaming canapes and a drinks package or be the VIP at the rooftop bar with canapes, DJs, free-flowing drinks and those Perth views. Public Bar $10pp, Glamour Bar $99pp and Rooftop Bar $115pp.
- Stables New Year's Eve. Gather around for an evening that features a 4-course dinner and bottomless wine or dance the night way at the courtyard party. Dinner tickets from $149pp and courtyard party is $15pp.
Is your event missing from this list?
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Perth
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Perth Swan River dinner cruise
Stand Up Paddle Board Hire on the Swan River
Virtual reality gaming experience
Skydiving over Rockingham Perth
iFly indoor skydiving in Perth
Swim with Dolphins Day Trip
What is Perth doing for New Year's Eve to ensure it's COVID-safe?
For New Year's Eve 2020/2021, events hosted by the City of Perth are going to be shaken up a bit to ensure they are COVID-safe.
The city encourages attendees to practice good hygiene and will be providing hand sanitiser stations around event sites. It's encouraged to space yourself at least 1.5 metres from others while viewing performances and the fireworks.
- Fireworks events: While usually on in six locations, the 2020/2021 firework displays will only be in four this year, but it's encouraged to try to leave at least 1.5 metres between your party and others while viewing in public areas.
- Cruises: With a 2-square-metre-per-person physical distancing recommendation in place, cruises may be running at a lower capacity than previous years (depending on the size of the vessel). Captain Cook Cruises also notes increased hygiene stations on board. If you're set on taking a cruise to ring in the new year, we'd recommend booking a ticket early to avoid disappointment.
- Restaurants: There aren't currently any restrictions limiting the number of diners at Perth restaurants. However, they will need to maintain at least 2 square metres of space per diner. So, if you're set on a smaller venue for your final meal of 2020, you'll want to book well in advance.
- Events: To reduce the size of crowds, instead of staged events, there will be street-level performances, entertainment and art installations. Key locations for these performances will be the Perth Cultural Centre, WA Museum – City Room, Yagan Square, William Street (between Roe and Francis Streets), James Street (between William Street and Mountain Terrace) and Lake Street (between Roe and Francis Streets)
- Getting around safely: Due to this year's street performances, there will be road closures within Northbridge from about 4pm on 31 December. If you're taking public transport to and from events, as of time of writing, no special New Year's Eve timetable has been released.
Celebrating New Year's Eve at home in Perth: What's allowed
- Gathering sizes indoors: While there's no limit on the number of people who can gather together indoors, a 2-square-metre-per-person rule does apply.
- Gathering sizes outdoors: Like indoor gatherings, there isn't a limit on the number of people you can celebrate New Year's Eve with if you're outdoors.
Where to stay on New Year’s Eve in Perth
Mantra On Murray
Adina Apartment Hotel Perth
Esplanade Hotel Fremantle
Comfort Inn & Suites Goodearth Perth
Fraser Suites Perth
See the latest Perth deals
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Australia’s three-step plan to re-open: What you can and can’t do
As lockdown and travel restrictions begin to ease across Australia, we break down what you can and cannot do right now.
Watch Australia vs New Zealand New Year’s Test live and free
Australia is versing New Zealand in the traditional New Year’s Test at the SCG. Here’s all the ways you can watch it live in Australia.
Top 2020 New Year’s resolutions revealed
Finder research has revealed the top New Year's resolutions for 2020. Aussies say they want to improve their fitness, eat healthier, travel more and ditch the debt.
Morphe New Year’s Eve 2019 collection: When and where you can shop
This is your first look at Morphe's New Year's Eve 2019 collection – see all the products (and swatches) here.
Full-service flights to Hong Kong for New Year’s from $653 return
EXPIRED: Cathay Pacific has your winter, spring and New Year's holiday breaks sorted.
100 New Years Eve dresses under $100 for 2021
If you're ordering your New Years Eve dress online, these are our top 100 picks. The best part? They're all under $100.
4 sailings that will have you celebrating New Year’s Eve on a cruise
Ring in the new year at sea with these celebratory New Year's Eve cruises.
New Year’s Eve in Darwin 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The ultimate guide to New Year's Eve celebratory dinners, cruises, hotels and fireworks in Darwin.
New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
What's on in Byron Bay on New Year's Eve, including NYE dinner packages, parties and events throughout town.
Ask an Expert