Ring in 2016 with fireworks and parties on New Year’s Eve in Perth.
Perth will celebrate New Year’s Eve in style with fireworks and events along the famous Swan River, Rottnest Island, Mandurah and on the banks of the Cannington River.
If you have children, go for one of the early family-friendly shows. If you’re having a night out with grown-ups only, take a cruise or get down to Swan River for the midnight fireworks.
Whether you are a local or a visitor to Western Australia’s capital, use this guide to plan the big night.
Image: Experience Perth
Looking for somewhere to stay on New Year's Eve in Perth, Mandurah and Rockingham?
Where to watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks
- Swan River. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. The events at Swan River are the largest in Perth and Greater Perth with lots of vantage points to view the fireworks display. Take a cruise for front-row seats under the stars, or soak up the atmosphere in family-friendly celebrations at King’s Park or the NYE on the Foreshore festival in East Perth.
- Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. Rockingham always throws a big family-friendly event for New Year’s Eve, and this year will be no exception. The foreshore in Churchill Park will host a fair, children’s entertainment and food stalls to keep everyone going throughout the night.
- Mandurah. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. Mandurah will also host family-friendly events with a silent disco, children’s entertainment and food stalls.
- Cannington. Fireworks at midnight. Cannington Greyhounds on the banks of the Cannington River will throw a New Year’s Eve bash with races, children’s entertainment and rides. Children younger than 18 are allowed in for free but must be with an adult.
- Rottnest Island. Fireworks at 9pm. The early show allows the little ones to join in the fun before they get off to bed in time. Adults can kick up their heels throughout the night at one of the many parties and discos hosted by one of Western Australia’s most famous tourist attractions.
New Year’s Eve cruises
Make the evening a special one with a river cruise and take in one of Perth’s most beautiful features – the city’s waterways – as you celebrate 2016.
- Captain Cook Cruises is one of the leading Swan River cruise providers, and it’s a great choice for a New Year’s Eve party. The five-hour-long cruise includes canapes, a buffet dinner with drinks and live music all night.
- Crystal Swan offers elegant cruises for special occasions. The New Year's Eve event will take guests into Matilda Bay, past the Perth Yacht Club and The University of Western Australia in the centre of the city. The ticket price includes a three-course meal, a welcome drink on arrival, all-night music and a dance floor.
- Private river cruises are available through reservation from Pelican Charters, Tour Chief and Night Cruiser. Prices and programmes are available on request.