4 sailings that will have you celebrating New Year’s Eve on a cruise
Ring in the new year on board luxurious ships that host parties and pass out champagne at midnight.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Their parties sparkle with decorations, balloon drops and epic midnight countdowns. Plus, there are are even babysitting services available so parents can join in the fun.
From sunny destinations to breathtaking mountains, these are our picks of the best New Year’s Eve cruises about. Although cruise lines are keeping their ships docked this year, you can still lock in your 2021/2022 celebrations.
2021 cruises to book for next year
1. New Year's Eve cruise from Sydney on the Pacific Adventure
Clock off work early on 30 December and leave the year behind as you sail off into the sunset toward the Pacific Islands on a memorable New Year's Eve cruise – with your besties, naturally.
- Ship name and cruise line: Pacific Adventure, P&O
- Departure destination and date: Round-trip cruise from Sydney departing 30 December 2021.
- Ports of call: Mystery Island, Port Vila, Lifou and Isle of Pines.
- Where will I be on New Year's Eve? At sea on the way to Mystery Island.
- Ship features: Multiple venues and themed parties, water parks, live music and entertainment and 17 dining options.
2. 11-night New Year's Eve cruise from Melbourne on the Pacific Explorer
Celebrate in style waving farewell to the big lights of the city and trading them in for confetti and disco lights on the ocean as you travel from Melbourne to New Zealand with P&O.
- Ship name and cruise line: Pacific Explorer, P&O.
- Departure destination and date: Round-trip cruise from Melbourne departing 28 December 2021.
- Ports of call: Fiordland National Park, Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington and Hobart.
- Where will I be on New Year's Eve? During the day, you'll be entranced by the beauty of Fiordland National Park while at night you'll journey to Dunedin to spend New Year's Day on the beach.
- Ship features: The Pantry fresh food area, poolside movie screen, two show lounges, kids' clubs, climbing course and multiple pools.
3. 8-night New Year's Eve cruise from Brisbane on the Pacific Encounter
Soak up the sunshine as you hop from beach to beach and paradise to paradise while ringing in the new year.
- Ship name and cruise line: Pacific Encounter, P&O Cruises
- Departure destination and date: Round-trip cruise from Brisbane departing 27 December 2021.
- Ports of call: Mystery Island, Port Vila and Santo.
- Where will I be on New Year's Eve? During the day, you'll be exploring Port Vila; by night, you'll be celebrating on the ship as it cruises toward Santo.
- Ship features: This grand class ship has 12 guest decks, can house 3,000 guests, has multiple indoor and outdoor dining spaces and pools and waterslides for small and big kids.
Bring in your new year while sailing the seas of our sunshine state. Featuring stops in Airlie Beach and Cairns, say hello to 2022 in style.
- Ship name and cruise line: Quantum of the Seas, Royal Caribbean
- Departure destination and date: Round trip from Brisbane departing on 29 December 2021.
- Ports of call: Airlie Beach, Cairns and Willis Island
- Where will I be on New Years' Eve? Over the 2021/2022 NYE celebrations, you'll be out at sea on your way to Airlie Beach.
- Ship features: Multiple dining options, live bands, sports arena, fitness centre, outdoor movie nights, game shows and various bars.
What does each cruise line do for New Year's Eve?
Each cruise line has very similar New Year's Eve celebrations and often includes celebrations in their lounges, clubs and bars with New Year’s decorations.
- Princess Cruises celebrates with a special menu just for New Year’s Eve as well as a champagne toast and balloon drop at midnight.
- P&O Cruises hosts parties across multiple venues and a live band leading the festivities.
- Holland America Line hosts a gala.
- Royal Caribbean has a confetti drop, party favours for guests and a balloon drop in the Promenade, Esplanade and Centrum.
All cruises have live music from DJs to bands and more to ring in the new year.
Looking for a bargain on a cruise? Check out these deals:
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 53% off Samsung Galaxy Buds+, 60% off sports and fitness equipment, win $10,000 with Optus.
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
The Australian Open 2021 is one sail away with P&O Cruises
EXPIRED: P&O Cruises is getting you to the Australian Open in 2021/2022.
Sail away with 50% off deposits on Carnival Cruises
EXPIRED: Kick start the new year with Carnival Cruises Fun Resolution sale.
Best places to cruise in January
Find where you should be cruising to in January for exotic sights, incredible food and even better views.
5 of the best Boxing Day cruise deals of 2019 to sail away on
Score everything from 2-for-1 sailings to up to US$400 in onboard credit.
It’s official: Boxing Day travel sales have started for 2019
It's beginning to look a lot like Boxing Day.
Morphe New Year’s Eve 2019 collection: When and where you can shop
This is your first look at Morphe's New Year's Eve 2019 collection – see all the products (and swatches) here.
Top travel destinations and travel trends for 2020
The trending destinations and travel habits to look out for in the new year.
Oh Buoy! P&O cruises $1 deposit is back
EXPIRED: $1 deposits on P&O cruises is back with up to $450 of onboard credit.
Ask an Expert