4 sailings that will have you celebrating New Year’s Eve on a cruise
Ring in the new year on board luxurious ships that host parties and pass out champagne at midnight.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Their parties sparkle with decorations, balloon drops and epic midnight countdowns. Plus, there are are even babysitting services available so parents can join in the fun.
From sunny destinations to breathtaking mountains, these are our picks of the best New Year’s Eve cruises about. Although cruise lines are keeping their ships docked this year, you can still lock in your 2021/2022 celebrations.
2021 cruises to book for next year
Clock off work early on 30 December and leave the year behind as you sail off into the sunset toward the Pacific Islands on a memorable New Year's Eve cruise – with your besties, naturally.
- Ship name and cruise line: Pacific Adventure, P&O
- Departure destination and date: Round-trip cruise from Sydney departing 30 December 2021.
- Ports of call: Mystery Island, Port Vila, Lifou and Isle of Pines.
- Where will I be on New Year's Eve? At sea on the way to Mystery Island.
- Ship features: Multiple venues and themed parties, water parks, live music and entertainment and 17 dining options.
Celebrate in style waving farewell to the big lights of the city and trading them in for confetti and disco lights on the ocean as you travel from Melbourne to New Zealand with P&O.
- Ship name and cruise line: Pacific Explorer, P&O.
- Departure destination and date: Round-trip cruise from Melbourne departing 28 December 2021.
- Ports of call: Fiordland National Park, Dunedin, Akaroa, Wellington and Hobart.
- Where will I be on New Year's Eve? During the day, you'll be entranced by the beauty of Fiordland National Park while at night you'll journey to Dunedin to spend New Year's Day on the beach.
- Ship features: The Pantry fresh food area, poolside movie screen, two show lounges, kids' clubs, climbing course and multiple pools.
Soak up the sunshine as you hop from beach to beach and paradise to paradise while ringing in the new year.
- Ship name and cruise line: Pacific Encounter, P&O Cruises
- Departure destination and date: Round-trip cruise from Brisbane departing 27 December 2021.
- Ports of call: Mystery Island, Port Vila and Santo.
- Where will I be on New Year's Eve? During the day, you'll be exploring Port Vila; by night, you'll be celebrating on the ship as it cruises toward Santo.
- Ship features: This grand class ship has 12 guest decks, can house 3,000 guests, has multiple indoor and outdoor dining spaces and pools and waterslides for small and big kids.
Bring in your new year while sailing the seas of our sunshine state. Featuring stops in Airlie Beach and Cairns, say hello to 2022 in style.
- Ship name and cruise line: Quantum of the Seas, Royal Caribbean
- Departure destination and date: Round trip from Brisbane departing on 29 December 2021.
- Ports of call: Airlie Beach, Cairns and Willis Island
- Where will I be on New Years' Eve? Over the 2021/2022 NYE celebrations, you'll be out at sea on your way to Airlie Beach.
- Ship features: Multiple dining options, live bands, sports arena, fitness centre, outdoor movie nights, game shows and various bars.
What does each cruise line do for New Year's Eve?
Each cruise line has very similar New Year's Eve celebrations and often includes celebrations in their lounges, clubs and bars with New Year’s decorations.
- Princess Cruises celebrates with a special menu just for New Year’s Eve as well as a champagne toast and balloon drop at midnight.
- P&O Cruises hosts parties across multiple venues and a live band leading the festivities.
- Holland America Line hosts a gala.
- Royal Caribbean has a confetti drop, party favours for guests and a balloon drop in the Promenade, Esplanade and Centrum.
All cruises have live music from DJs to bands and more to ring in the new year.
Looking for a bargain on a cruise? Check out these deals:
More guides on Finder
Campervan hire in Brisbane | Where to book, what to know
Ready to explore the wonders of Queensland? Here’s our guide on hiring a campervan from Brisbane.
Campervan hire in New Zealand | Where to book, what to know
Take your exploration to the next level with this guide to campervan hire in New Zealand.
Electric bikes for beginners
The key specs and features you need to compare to find the top e-bikes for beginners.
Administrative assistant resume templates
If you're an assistant on the hunt for a new job, a polished resume is a vital first step.
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Best lip balms in Australia
If you’re seeking a perfectly moisturised pout, we’ve chosen the top 7 lip balms in Australia to add to your makeup bag.
Where to book 4WD hire
Ready to hit the open road on an off-road adventure? Book your 4WD at these rental companies for less.
Amazon Echo range 2020: Australian price, features and availability
Everything you need to know about Amazon's new Echo smart home range.
Where to buy masks in Sydney and New South Wales
With masks currently in high demand, we’ve rounded up where you can buy one in New South Wales.
Last chance deals from Amazon’s Mid-Year Sale [Updated]
Amazon's massive Mid-Year Sale ends tonight. Here are the best deals you can still get before midnight tonight.
Ask an Expert